Leaking leftover oil?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by cartisdm, Oct 19, 2008.

1. cartisdm

cartisdm New Member

My brand new *first* build is going great. I took it for a nice long test run around the block a few times and it seems to run smoother and smoother the more I use it.

I've noticed that right under the engine where the exhaust pipe bolts in there's black oil that seems to have leaked out. I wouldn't say it's a lot but its certainly noticeable on a shiny new engine. Is this normal?

2. Finfan

Finfan New Member

Unburnt oil gets exhausted through a small hole near the top of the muffler and will spray onto anything in its path. On my bike it usually drips off the back of the front fender. I also learned early on not to wear white shoes while riding. Anyway it is a normal thing with the 2-cycle bikes unless it is leaking directly from the engine. The exhaust issue is why I am switching to a long pipe!

3. cartisdm

cartisdm New Member

Well it's leaking out from where the exhaust mounts into the engine. Maybe my gaskets need replacing?

4. Venice Motor Bikes

Venice Motor Bikes Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

I think you just answered your own question! :D
    I always put a little silicone gasket on the exaust gaskets to keep them from leaking...;)

5. cartisdm

cartisdm New Member

I was thinking about running to Home depot for some parts and figured I should get this leaking problem fixed while I'm there.

1. Should I replace the gaskets or just add one?
    2. What would I be looking for in the store? I have an idea in my head of just a sheet of rubber or some sort where I can trace out a replica of the current gasket and cut it out.

For the second part I know what I want but not what I'm looking for, what should I use? It obviously needs to stand up to the heat of the engine/exhaust pipe

6. Venice Motor Bikes

Venice Motor Bikes Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

The stuff you need to use ISN'T found at home depot... It's found at a auto parts store!!!

7. cartisdm

cartisdm New Member

In that case I'll be heading to auto zone tomorrow. What's it called?

8. Bikeguy Joe

Bikeguy Joe Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

High temp gasket material.

9. Bikeguy Joe

Bikeguy Joe Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

Replace it, don't use two together.