Laws in New Hampshire...

GoldenMotor.com

SJCASEY1110

Mar 14, 2008
Does any one know the laws for motorized bikes on the roads for NH? Are they illegal or do I have to register it?? I've been riding on the roads and never actually gave it a thought.

(c) - Sjcasey1110

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Just a quick look says mopeds are legal so I would think a bike would be but i would check with the dept of motor vehicles to see if it has to be registered. I can't find the answer to that in a quick search. try to google it

SJCASEY1110

Mar 14, 2008
Thankyou I appreciate it. I did google it and I think i do have to register it. It classifies under a motorcycle do to the fact that its over 50cc's but im sure the cops wont be able to tell.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
exactly I wouldn't worry about it go with moped. It's hard to believe some states register them and others don't/ It isn't considered a motor vehicle here it has its own class moped that is.

SJCASEY1110

Mar 14, 2008
It only cost 3$ to register it anyways, now if you do register it, does that mean you can ride it on the street?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have nothing ... i bought the bike off craigs list and put the motor on myself I guess it is homemade and you would have to just make a statement to that effect and of course the engine is 48 cc

mdf27

May 26, 2009
New Hampshire
well I'm ready for my first build and just for kicks I emailed the DMV and received the same letter :)

Mark,

It is not classified as a moped if it can be man powered, so no you do not have to register that as it is not something we would register. You will need to abide by the laws of riding a bicycle. I hope this answers your question, if you have further questions please let me know.

Sincerely,

Valerie Lamarre
Registration Bureau
23 Hazen Dr
Concord NH 03305
603-271-2251

now I will check if there is a city/town ordinance about it.

Has anyone in NH had any problems?
also what town or city are you in?

thanks
Mark

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
NH laws rule!! MB's are now there own thing!! They used to be classified as MOPED YUK! LOL
I've been riding an e-bike for a year then everything changed !! Got a DAX!! 80/70 about 3.5 hp I think, could be wrong. But its sure under 5.
Ride by cops alot, they must be aware of change or just don't care.

Section 259:65 Motor-driven Cycle.
259:65 Motor-driven Cycle. – ""Motor-driven cycle'' shall mean any motorcycle or motor scooter with a motor which produces not to exceed 5 horse-power, and any bicycle with motor attached, but not including mopeds.

Section 265:65 Special Speed Limitation on Motor-driven Cycles.
Section 265:65 Special Speed Limitation on Motor-driven Cycles
No person shall drive any motor-driven cycle in the night time at a speed greater than 35 miles per hour unless such motor-driven cycle is equipped with a lighted headlamp or lamps which are adequate to reveal a person or vehicle at a distance of 300 feet ahead.

EDIT: these are fairly new changes to the law. It was very different when you started this thread. I just saw how old it was

Last edited:

[email protected]

Oct 7, 2013
NH
To all of you that are wondering about N.H. laws and motorized bicycles... I have been building early 1900's replicas for about 2 years now. Up until about june of this year, I haven't ever been stopped or even given a second look. Then a local officer stopped me saying because I had a combustion engine, I needed to register it. Then came the circus. I asked him to show me the laws that said it needed to be registered. N.H. doesn't know how to handle these bikes yet. By law, mopeds can be no larger than 50cc and top speed of 20 MPH. How many mopeds only go 20? Then comes the category of motor driven cycle. Up to 5 HP motor, max speed of 20 MPH. Right! My 5 horse does 35-40 all day long. Well, after 4-6 hours at DMV, I was told to come in on a second Tuesday and have the special Inspector look at it and figure it out. He looked, scratched his head and said "It doesn't need to be registered." I then asked how I would prove that to the local law enforcement and he then said "well. maybe we should issue a V.I.N. and register it as a moped." It doesn't fit the moped category but who am I to argue. He gave me a vin # and now it's a moped! Any questions, [email protected].

.trk