keyed hub for trike axle?

GoldenMotor.com

trikeguy78

Sep 1, 2008
Milwaukee Wisconsin
Hi Everyone!

I appreciate the welcomes and the help you all have given me so far. I talked to the bike dealer and my 26 inch trike will be delivered to me this upcoming Tuesday.

I'm curious what dimensions I need to observe on the rear axle for the mounting of the sprocket ( the one that is driven by the motor) the diameter and slot size n the axle?

( i'm dumb when it comes to bikes :D )

are the axles on a trike usually keyed ? I'm anxious and I would like to know before the bike gets here and where would I buy a fixed/keyed hub to mount the sprocket up to?

Trikeguy78 ^5

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
It depends on the maker of the bike. One wheel is a coaster brake sometimes:( We need more info to help you. Now for each question you ask get a big water bottle and drop a dime inside. Soon you can buy another bike to have fun with! And our help is free! You can't believe how fast those dimes add up :)

trikeguy78

Sep 1, 2008
Milwaukee Wisconsin
as far as I know there is only a front brake and if you pedal backwards it is freewheel ( like a 10 speed.) I will know more on Tuesday and post some pictures. I got the trike from "yourtradingassistant" on e-bay, and they are manufactured in china. Worst case scenario I go off and buy another trike knowing what to look for and I give this one to the Misses...

Trikeguy78 ^5

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I Will Try To Help!

I offer help.
a rear sprocket on a trike is greek to me.
But I will try to help.
Post pictures if possible?
Be very descriptive if possible.

LordMaximo

Aug 31, 2008
High Plains Desert, Roy UT
Once you get the diameter of the axle, it will be down hill from there.
I also recommend going over to the "www.surpluscenter.com" site and checking out all their great deals for practically nothing. There is a big selection of parts you can order for your conversion. And if you are doing a trike, I would recommend the 13HP unit with electric start for the trike.
Surplus Center Item Detail
Its at $430.00, but will make the trike run good up hills and offers a real bang for the buck.
Maximo

trikeguy78

Sep 1, 2008
Milwaukee Wisconsin
the trike should be here tomorrow or tuesday.. I cant wait!

when it arrives and I begin putting it together I plan on posting pictures so I can get some pointers from all of you.

I did locate various size sprockets and mounts to fit the keyed shaft, I just have to wait and measure when it arrives before I order.

Stay tuned this week I will be posting more.

Tourezrick

Nov 1, 2011
Chicaga
Manufacturer/type of the trike is paramount. All tadpoles that I've seen/worked on use a standard bicycle rear hub - usually a Shimano, but with one exception - a Windcheeta, but unless you have a Windcheeta, no problem. Not having put a gas engine on a tad, I can only speculate. My electric trike(s) used a chainline motor. Chainline motors mean that you are always pedaling, even when running on power, so you could end up overpedaling due to poorly matched reduction ratios. Delta trikes, on the other hand, usually have their own hubs, some of which are keyed, some of which are shaped and tapered. Sun has used both on it's deltas, don't remember what Hase and Greenspeed use. Are you buying from Wheel and Sprocket or Hostel Shoppe? Or did you order from Utah Trikes - in which case you made a good choice and Ashley can help you out.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
without know WHAT trike you bought we can't help you.
theres the grandma upright trikes
theres the recumbent tadpole trikes
recumbent delta trikes
each style of trike is made a differnt way
then in each style there are a lot of differnt ways they are made

a HASE trike looks nothing like a trike from lightfoot cycles but both are recumbent delta trikes

hase trike

lightfoot trike

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Manufacturer/type of the trike is paramount. All tadpoles that I've seen/worked on use a standard bicycle rear hub - usually a Shimano, but with one exception - a Windcheeta, but unless you have a Windcheeta, no problem. Not having put a gas engine on a tad, I can only speculate. My electric trike(s) used a chainline motor. Chainline motors mean that you are always pedaling, even when running on power, so you could end up overpedaling due to poorly matched reduction ratios. Delta trikes, on the other hand, usually have their own hubs, some of which are keyed, some of which are shaped and tapered. Sun has used both on it's deltas, don't remember what Hase and Greenspeed use. Are you buying from Wheel and Sprocket or Hostel Shoppe? Or did you order from Utah Trikes - in which case you made a good choice and Ashley can help you out.
not when you put a freewheel on the pedalside gear the motor does NOT turn the pedal crank

might want to look at sickbike parts shift kit and staton's kits before you missinform people

Tourezrick

Nov 1, 2011
Chicaga
not when you put a freewheel on the pedalside gear the motor does NOT turn the pedal crank

might want to look at sickbike parts shift kit and staton's kits before you missinform people
Sorry, my mistake in not specifying that on my Sun EZ3 AX, the motor was mounted between the chainrings and jackshafted cogs/derailleur, which in turn drove the left rear wheel by a seperate chain. Thanks for pointing that out. Mounting my Cyclone motor/reduction box that way allowed me to use all the rear gears under power.

Sun uses different drive wheels on their delta trikes because the AX is jackshafted, the USX is not, and Staton's setup powers the undriven wheel.

Again, apologies if I confused folks.