Kansas motorized bicycle law

GoldenMotor.com

Brendan272

Apr 8, 2019
i am building a motorized bike and I can’t seem to find the current, current correct laws for Kansas. The places I’ve looked all say different things. Some say that it’s still considered a bicycle and doesn’t require registration if it’s less than 1 horsepower. Some say that if it has a motor on it, it requires registration. If I have to register it as a moped, how would I do that? There’s no vin so it can’t be registered. I actually bought an 80cc kit but since you can’t tell the different unless you take it apart the motor I’m calling it a 49cc for legal purposes. What could I tell police when they stop me that would make the bike legal? I’m just very confused on the current laws in Kansas. I need to know how I can ride my “49” cc bike legally. Can I just call it 1 horsepower and say it can’t go more than 20mph? Or do I need to somehow register it?

Brendan272

Apr 8, 2019
I think I figured it out, in Kansas, motorized bicycles are NOT considered motor vehicles. No matter what cc or how powerful they are, they have to be titled and registered to be operated on the Kansas roadways. So if you live in Kansas, a loophole to being able to ride them legally, since they are not considered motorized vehicles they can be ridden on bike trails, sidewalks, private property, etc... just not the road.

O.S.I.

Apr 17, 2019
Hi I'm in Kansas too. Actually as long as the motor is under 49cc and can be pedaled or has pedals it has the same laws as a normal bicycle. You can ride it on roadways but must follow the rules set forth for bicycles such as keep right and signal turns etc.The 80cc is a 49cc by all appearances so you shouldn't have to worry unless you get stopped by a hard a** cop lol. I've been riding mine for 4 years where I live and I've been followed and waived at by police but never pulled over.

Zarro

May 5, 2023
Actually, we have a very unique law, and I believe we are the only state that does so.

In Kansas, Mopeds and Motorized bikes are considered the same thing under law, calling them Motorized bikes.

The rules are:
-130cc
-3.5hp
-30mph
-License and insurance

Since 130cc engines can be huge, you can literally lie about the cc's of almost any engine and get away with it as long as the cop doesn't figure out the actual cc's.

I have linked both pdfs. You don't even need to submit the moped license form in person, just mail it lol.

https://www.ksrevenue.gov/pdf/dc8235.pdf

Hope this helps and share this info around as much as possible!