Just got on

GoldenMotor.com

Spring Break '92

Jun 12, 2008
Hi there, Ive been toying with this idea for a little while now. I want to put together a bike for as little money as possible, basically only the cost of the motor and a couple little things. I want to buy the best quality motor I am willing to afford, and mount it to a 26" mountain bike frame with front shocks only and probably a flat handle bar or bmx handle bars. The beach cruisers are cool too, but its not really my style. I would love to have a dual start with a rope, or better yet a kick start. This is because I would like to eliminate the pedals and just have pegs there, like a regular motorcycle.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If you eliminate the pedals you will probably move into the motorcycle class. there goes your advantages as a motored bike. Insurance and registration will most likely be required. Of course you will probably need a motorcycle endorsement for your drivers license as well. You need to read the motorvehicle statue for motor bike / moped vs motorcycles.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Best to make the bicycle a motorized bicycle with a bicycle motor. If you eliminate the pedals, it's a motorcycle and then your opening a while new can of worms and hassles.

Are you interested in a frame mount or a rear rack mount? 2 stroke or 4?

These price goes up with quality and reliability....I have made the cheaper kits pretty reliable though.

Spring Break '92

Jun 12, 2008
Frame mount, inside the V. I've been looking around here, I have not seen that many people with mountain bikes. Probably because they are not as comfortable. The one Im doing will have a front shock fork. I will probably end up doing some kind of cruiser handle bars for comfort.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
A front suspension MtB is an ideal frame to mount one of these one. I would take a look at the sellers on ebay, a couple I would run from- fast....PM me for further details.

The frame mounting will be super easy if it's the older 1" or 1 1/2" tubing.

Spring Break '92

Jun 12, 2008

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Devrou. Yep that's who I bought from. Just OK. He supplied me with a bad carb. Not really his fault, (China garbage) but since I had it over 30 days, he wouldn't replace it, or give me credit. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The only difference I see in his kits and everybody else's is he has a throttle with a kill switch built in. If it's no better than everybody else kill switch it won't make any difference.

Spring Break '92

Jun 12, 2008
He advertises better quality parts than the other kits. That is the main selling point for me. I have done research here and found out that the 80cc bangers are really 66/67cc's. Is it really worth getting one or just go with a 49cc?

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i think bigger is better plus i am a little overweight and the bigger engine is not faster but designed for more pull. also the motors are not marked what size they are and no way any one would be able to tell unless they pulled a cylinder out. by the way welcome to the site and glad you are with us. whichever bicycle motor you get i think you will be happy

Spring Break '92

Jun 12, 2008
Cool thanks. I am a bit hefty myself, 230 lbs. So I think I will go '80'cc. Maybe go with a Boost bottle later on when I want more. Im not hearing anything back from the guy with the free mtb frame, might just go with a beach cruiser despite what I posted earlier. Simple, with a back pedal brake. Will probably end up adding on a front cable brake too. Flat black everthing, right down to the wheels. I am kinda hesitant to paint the engine though, might make dissasembly harder.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
He advertises better quality parts than the other kits. That is the main selling point for me. I have done research here and found out that the 80cc bangers are really 66/67cc's. Is it really worth getting one or just go with a 49cc?
I would go with 67cc.

Here's the deal....I think in some ways out of the box the 49cc runs better than the 67cc. They are both junky out of the box, so why the difference? The only reason is that the carb, manifold, exhaust are the same for both therefore the 49cc can breath better and rev better. But the larger engine has more potential. I discovered that potential by simply porting the engine....opening up and manifolds, getting an expansion pipe.....the bike will now do 30 mph at 1/2 throttle.