Just got new Triple 40 motor on bike but feels sluggish on acceleration

GoldenMotor.com

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
I recently put a new Triple 40 on my crusier. It's only been started a few times and I know theses engines can feel tight when they are new but it feels like even when I give it a little throttle, its sluggish to excelerate. Only mods on it are a high compression head and copper head gasket. Hasn't even been through a tank of fuel yet. What could be causing the sluggishness?

Reactions: fasteddy

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Was the engine swap a complete component swap, carb, exhaust etc...?

When you say sluggish do you mean 4 stroking/engine won't wind up into rpms?

incorrect carb jetting will cause these engines tp be "sluggish"

the same is true if the exhaust is very restrictive

If all else is correct and you have the fuel/oil mix correct ad Curtis mentioned, im gonn say double check to make sure you dont have an exhaust restriction issue or maybe the carb jetting is to rich.

If neither of these is an issue, then you may have some way off port timing with your new engine which we hope isn't the issue.

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
Yes it was a complete swap. New motor and carb(says Bo Feng on it) . I've gone around checked all bolts after motor is fully warmed up. It idles and seems to rev ok but soon as you try to ride it it feels like you have to keep peddling after the motor should take over. It doesn't feel like it winds to to higher rpms fast enough.I don't want to be hard on the gas since engine is brand new.

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
Ok so today I adjusted the needle clip. It was on the notch second from the bottom so I moved it up one to the center notch. It seems to run better on that setting. It's running on a 40:1 mix. When the last bit of fuel is out of the tank I'm planning to run it on 32:1 mix. I'll plan to take it out for a spin tomorrow after work.

Reactions: mapbike