Just got a new 48cc kit!

GoldenMotor.com

Sharde

Sep 18, 2018
Hi Everyone,
Just got a new 48cc kit. I was so excited when I ordered it, but now I'm chickening out on building it. I'm so afraid of getting a ticket. It seems like I always get in trouble when I try to break out of my shell and try something new.

Before I ordered it, I checked the state's laws and called around to make sure it's okay to ride around here. State law says I have to register anything between 25cc and 49cc, but the local cops and town office don't care about anything under 50cc. The town wouldn't even register it and said I would be fine. So, all I need is that one cop who actually cares about state law and there's my ticket. I don't know what I was thinking when I ordered this kit. I figured it would be fun.

Overall, I feel dumb about the whole thing. Anyone else ever have legal jitters?

Reactions: Dan

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
I get nervous every time I see a cop. I've been riding for six years and only been "spoken to" twice. No ticket in either case. The important things are to wear a motorcycle helmet, an armoured jacket, and ride very politely.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't register it if that is an option. Is it really expensive? Or what.

I would encourage you to go for it either way. Get a bike that has a strong frame and has brakes front and rear. Do a lot of reading here on this forum before you start building so you can avoid the common issues. Don't be shy about asking for advice here.

These motorized bicycles are the most fun for your money I can think of. You won't believe how much fun until you ride one.

Sharde

Sep 18, 2018
It looks like a lot of fun. That's why I ordered the kit. Thanks for the encouragement. :)

I would love to register the bike. The town hall is telling me that I don't have to due to the size of the motor. Otherwise, they don't know what to do with me. Weird.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Sharde, welcome!

I agree with Chaz. Think your fine. I ride all over and never had a problem.

I get lil kid happy riding around and am grinning. Once about 6/7 yrs ago a MC cop stood while stratteling his ride with his haunches up. Menacing posture. I smiled and waved. Could literally see his body language relax as he sat back down. Although he was still giving me the tuff guy, stink look.

A motorcycle helmet is a must! I have experimented. With a bicycle helmet, cars think your on a bike doing bike speeds. MC helmet seems to let them know your going faster and they don't pass you on the left and cut to the right. Or pull out in front of you.

Bike is most important safety equipment. Good brakes, no front fender and know cars are trying to kill you.

After a few rides past cops, you'll feel better. No one likes extra work. Including most cops. Play nice, have fun. Ride safe.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
A motorcycle helmet is a must! I have experimented. With a bicycle helmet, cars think your on a bike doing bike speeds. MC helmet seems to let them know your going faster and they don't pass you on the left and cut to the right. Or pull out in front of you.
yep, I wear a flat-black 'sons of anarchy' helmet
it helps to look like someone they REALLY don't want to run over : )

Sharde

Sep 18, 2018
Thanks everyone :)

Unfortunately, one of the exhaust studs broke off in the engine block and I ruined everything trying to drill it out. Stranded before I even started. Oh well.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
yeah, got a brand new, never fired cylinder here - poor guy tried to bend exhaust around frame while it was attached to cylinder - replacement was $22 for his 40mm model

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
They are not made with real durable materials, Sharde. And we all have done something like that learn'n 'em.

Ya can replace any part including the head. If any one here is close to you and builds a lot of these. They more than likly have some laying around. Any larger suppliers have them as well.

Just a thought.