Just finished, grocery getter!

GoldenMotor.com

tinkerfinger

Jun 10, 2008
I am having hard time with picture downloads. So i hopefully attached pictures. Clueless to this system. Anyway. this is a 1980 schwinn cruiser frame. stock bottom crank and bearings, cheepo springer front end in good shape that I got with bike, nexus 3 speed hub with electra rims and flame pattern tires. Custom cut front and rear schwinn fenders. Custom made delron motor mounts. I sand blasted parts before shooting mars red auto paint. New bars, seat, basket, and hub shifter. 80cc motor kit. added shims on both sides of rear hub to help chain clear frame. replaced mounting studs with hardened. Am toying with 1.5v led lights in parallel for tail and running lights with 6v r/c car battery under seat to back up charging system. Not sure if i can hook up battery direct without it getting overcharged. Hey, if by seat gets hot, I guess i will figure it out.

Attachments

Last edited:

nitroscope8

May 26, 2008
Long Island, New York
Very nice build! Welcome, these forums are great with lots of information and good people.

I do have a question, what are these delron motor mounts? Do they protect the frame and/or reduce vibration? Any more info would be great!

tinkerfinger

Jun 10, 2008
Delron is like nylon, but harder. Its what the gears in a lot of cordless drills are made of. I got a 1 inch by 10 by 20inch sheet of it from when i worked in robottics. I cut a 1 by 1 1/4 strip. then cut two pieces and drilled them for studs. I needed more clearance from sprocket. I groved front mount to fit frame tube. added longer hardened studs. then drilled and tapped long 1/4 inch bolt thrue rear clamp, and tapped it into rear alloy mount for more support. replaced nuts with hardened, and doubled up on them. The delron wont reduce that much vibration, but hopefully enough to save studs and frame welds.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I love your bike. The basket is tied down very well and since i lost my hangon basket and almost ran over it when it jumped off I salute you. Be sure you tie down you packages well. Any big bump and they will be all over the road.

You did a great job on the bike.

nitroscope8

May 26, 2008
Long Island, New York
Ahhh ok..so it's similar material to the tools used in PDR to tap down high spots.

I have an upcoming project for my g/f's fathers ratfink bike and he wants it done PERFECTLY. I don't blame him, but I figure I can use this so I don't scratch the frame. Where can I pick this stuff up from and how m uch does it cost?

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
HELLO TO ALL YOU PEOPLE.. I DON`T SEE MUCH ON HERE ABOUT FRICTION DRIVES !! :confused: WHAT DO SOME OF YOU THINK OF THEM. WHEN 11 YRS OLD (1950) A NABOR HELPED ME BUILD A 3/4 HP BS POWERED MOTOR BIKE W/O PEDDLES. I`AM HOPING TO SELL SOME KITS LOCALLY. HAVE YOU SEEN THE VIDEOS (jb1970ny) ?? LATER, RON..:ride2:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I might be the only one here that actually thinks friction drives are superior to chain and sprocket or even belt and pully drive.

If you have a good kit or good system to add friction drive to an engine let me know. I think A friction drive with a good clutch type engine would be ideal.

You probably should start a thread though to get maximum coverage for your discussion.

ricland

Jul 27, 2008
And if you lose your job because of all the time you spend on your bike, you can always get a paper route.

ricland

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
TINKERFINGER YOUR GROCERY GETTER IS SUPER NEAT. I CAN ONLY IMAGINE HOW MANY HEADS IT HAS TURNED. :) BACK ON JUNE 15, THAT WAS MY FIRST DAY ON THE FORUM ! SORRY ABOUT MY POST BACK THEN. I HOPE IT DIDN`T MESS UP YOUR THREAD. I RENTED A ROOM FROM A ELDERLY WOMAN MANY YEARS AGO, AS SHE WOULD SAY; ITS SWELL ELEGANT !! (YOUR BIKE) . HOW HAS IT BEEN RUNNING? :ride: LATER RON

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
And if you lose your job because of all the time you spend on your bike, you can always get a paper route.

ricland
Alas the paper boy is obsolete. No longer can a newspaper here can get delivered to your door. The post office handles that believe it of not. You get tomorrows paper with your mail.
Sorry to derail,but I thought I needed to add that little tidbit in.

Your bike is wicked! Very nice job tf!

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Tinkerfinger, I was talking about those old Mechanics Illustrated magazines
of the 40's and 50's here recently. Where men developed kits that worked dependably and then went to machine shops to have the parts produced to their specifications. They were then sold mail order and delivered by outfits like Railway Express.

It was a different time in America and 1/2 and 3/4 hp Briggs engines were
common. Clinton's and Techumsa motors were around but ya just couldn't beat out an old Briggs. I'm really curious to see what your set up would look like mounted on a bicycle.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
I love a bike that works well as well as looks good. Style with Substance is worth way more than the sum of the 2.The load you can carry there is bigger than would be safe possibly as you could fit a VW motor in a basket that size. No the groceries is about right for the load capacity. And it does look mighty fine.

ricland

Jul 27, 2008
Alas the paper boy is obsolete. No longer can a newspaper here can get delivered to your door. The post office handles that believe it of not. You get tomorrows paper with your mail.
Sorry to derail,but I thought I needed to add that little tidbit in.

Your bike is wicked! Very nice job tf!
I was looking at the guy's bike and all of a sudden I had a flashback of my own paper route. Talk about deja vu all over again, there I was rain coming down in sheets and me 13 years old and 100 pounds trying to steer that tank of a truck bike with all them soggy newspapers.

No, the Grocery Getter is not for me!

ricland

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
That is the nicest rack I have ever seen.
Did you make it.

I tried 3/8 inch thick plastic cutting block motor mount spacers. They will shatter. I finally used goop to glue the bolted motor mounts to the frame.

Last edited:

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
i never rode a bike with a BIG front basket. i wonder if it would make it hard to steer if the basket were filled up with cold beer? expecially if the trip was hot and.....(in no way promoting drunk motorized biking)

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
Loosely packed with newspapers to throw is what it is designed for. I have used them for that a little but found I could carry bags and reach back to a back basket for most of my papers. That was easier to control than a high mounted front basket. about half full would be good for me though.