Just bought 4 stroke Chinese bicycle engine frame mounting kit

GoldenMotor.com

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
Well, it took 10 days but finally got it. Bought it from revolutioncycles.us. When I opened the box, I knew I was in for some problems. The bolts, nuts and washers had bounced loose in the box for 1000 miles. They weren't even in a plastic bag. First thing I noticed was the motor mount was not adjustable as advertised. It's 2 inches too short for my new Schwinn cruiser. Can't go any further without this. Next, I find the sprocket kit only has 2 half moon clips when there should be 3. And one of the round rubber spacers had 2 big chunks gone out of it. Also, 2 of the bolts to mount the engine to the mount were missing. The petcock is an extremely tight fit into the gas tank. So tight I thought the threads didn't match. Well, I spent $285 on this kit and it's totally unusable. I contacted the dealer and told him about the missing parts. He gave me a rambling one liner reply about the Chinese and that was it. Also, there was no assembly or parts manual of any kind, and I wasn't sure what all of the parts were for. There's a fiber washer I don't know what's for. Asked the dealer, no answer. There's a small thin flimsy metal piece with 2 holes. Asked the dealer, no answer. Asked if he would send the right motor mount, no answer. Asked if he would send the rest of the spoke mounting kit. no answer. Since Don Grube's name is all over this stuff, I checked his site and see all the parts he wholesales. He's obviously the grandaddy of the Chinese bike engine thing in the U.S. Sent him an email and asked if he could give me the name of a dealer where I could get the adjustable motor mount. He won't help. He rambled a bit about how the dealer I bought from is illegally importing 2 cycles into the U.S. and told me to report him to EPA. Yep, I'm sure I'd get my missing parts if I did that, yeah right. Bottom line, my dealer isn't going to make anything right and stopped answer my mails. Don Grube refused to offer any free assistance. I have a box of parts here that cost me $285 and I can't use it. Won't even tell me where to buy a mount. I get the impression that the bike engine "industry" is pretty much an overall shady operation, run by a bunch of thugs. I spent every last dollar I could muster up in the hopes of finally having some transportation. And now I'm also stuck with a new Schwinn that cost me $150 and will have to return it for a refund if possible. An entirely new problem. Gotta love it!

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
Re: Just bought 4 stroke Chinese frame mount kit

that sucks big time. i hope you can get it all worked out. if you payed with paypal i would imediatly do a claim with them. pay pal will freeze his account untill things are resolved. one good thing about using paypal

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com

Sorry to hear of your problems. If you were to post pictures with specific questions we may be able to walk you through the instalation process. These engines are designed to fit a diamond frame much like the 3-speeds of yester-year, I have never heard of an ajustable engine mount that came with these kits. Most of us hear have had to kustom fit our engines to our individual bikes. As for identifying the other parts you mentioned, I'm not going to try to answer without pictures. I hope we can help you and please don't be discouraged, the first build is always the hard one...Kelly

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

you got that right kelly. my first 2 hour motorized bicycle build took like 200 hours lol but it was worth every minute i put into it. it is frustrating but I promise it will be worth every minute

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

When norman get's back message him. He will be able to tell you what to substitute to make it work most likely. If you have a digital camera send picks on problem at a time and we can try to find solutions for you. And my first build took weeks. And i still got it wrong lol..

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

Since you don't have your directions let me suggest that the first thing I would do would be to work out the mounting problems.

If you are sitting at the bike with the handle bars on your left side, You want to mount your engine with the clutch lever on your side of the bike. That is also where your chain fits into the motor though you wont have it on yet.

Step one should probably to loosely hook the engine to the seat post. If you do that tell us, will the front mount reach your down rod on the handlebar side. if not how far out is it.. and if so can you fit the mount around the drop rod or is the rod too big for the mounting.

By the way my engine was supposed to have the big frame adapter but it didn't. Fortunately I had a bike with small tubes. I still toyed with mounting it to a larger bike frame. It only took me two days to decide which bike and how to attach the engine.

Last edited:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com

Yes I agree the whole supplier end is Chinese cheese. I doubt you'll get satisfaction, but I'll bet you get threats. I think at this point you should make a go of it.

For instructions, you just might find them on the web. I found a mess of two stroke versions on the web, someone must have scanned the fourstroke WI's as well.

I'm not at home right now to give you links, but there are dudes out there that sell just about every part.

Please explain this adustable engine mount. I've never seen it....

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008

Since you don't have your directions let me suggest that the first thing I would do would be to work out the mounting problems.

If you are sitting at the bike with the handle bars on your left side, You want to mount your engine with the clutch lever on your side of the bike. That is also where your chain fits into the motor though you wont have it on yet.

Step one should probably to loosely hook the engine to the seat post. If you do that tell us, will the front mount reach your down rod on the handlebar side. if not how far out is it.. and if so can you fit the mount around the drop rod or is the rod too big for the mounting.

By the way my engine was supposed to have the big frame adapter but it didn't. Fortunately I had a bike with small tubes. I still toyed with mounting it to a larger bike frame. It only took me two days to decide which bike and how to attach the engine.
You're talking about the Chinese 2 stroke kits. Mine is a 4 stroke kit. I'm going to have to get the adjustable motor mount, no way around it. My Schwinn does have big tubes, especially the front one. But all the gallery pics I've seen of my kit on various bikes shows the adjustable mount. I was just sent the wrong motor mount. I'm working on getting the right one but I envision it costing me some bucks and many headaches dealing with shady suppliers. Already been thru **** with it. Can't proceed at all without that mount and the rest of the parts for the sprocket that are missing. It's not that I don't know how to install the stuff, it's a matter of not getting all the parts.
Here's my bike:

Here's a kit that looks like what I have except my motor mount doesn't have that adjustable piece to it with the ends that fit the curvature of the frame. What I got was the darker chrome piece you see in the middle of it all:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

i love the red schwinn. nice looking bike. as i said if you report it to paypal they will put a hold on his account and that will get his attention. you will be the only one that can lift the hold on his account. hope it all works out and i cannot wait to see the new 4 stroke motorized bicycle

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State

I've dealt with Revolution Cycles before and my thoughts are that he does'nt have the parts on hand in some cases. He waits until an item sells and the he gets it from his supplier, so shipping can be delayed. Paypal will settle any claim that you have and your purchase from Ebay should be covered bu "Buyer Protection". I realize that it sucks not getting the parts but dont be discouraged. Once your build is complete you will have a blast on your bike!!! That is a nice looking bike. Make sure them fenders are TIGHT.

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008

i love the red schwinn. nice looking bike. as i said if you report it to paypal they will put a hold on his account and that will get his attention. you will be the only one that can lift the hold on his account. hope it all works out and i cannot wait to see the new 4 stroke motorized bicycle
I did file a dispute on Paypal for not as described and missing parts. He immediately lied to them and said no parts were missing. Paypal immediately closed the dispute in his favor. Then he wrote me and said if I send him $30 more, he'll send me the right mount and the half moon clip that I was shorted. I'd be a fool to send any more money his way. I also learned that he sent me the inferior gearbox. What he sent me was a kit named JL Hoot and he just made up a new name and changed it to Starfire 49. He just threw a bunch of junk in a box and shipped it. Contacted Don Grube and after about 6 emails, he finally told me who one of his dealers were and who handles his parts and service. Contacted them and they said they don't get along with Grube and that they only sell 2 stroke parts. It just gets better all the time, eh?

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008

I've dealt with Revolution Cycles before and my thoughts are that he does'nt have the parts on hand in some cases. He waits until an item sells and the he gets it from his supplier, so shipping can be delayed. Paypal will settle any claim that you have and your purchase from Ebay should be covered bu "Buyer Protection". I realize that it sucks not getting the parts but dont be discouraged. Once your build is complete you will have a blast on your bike!!! That is a nice looking bike. Make sure them fenders are TIGHT.
I bought from his site, not ebay. Yes, I could have left a negative if I had, but I would have just gotten one in return. He'll keep on selling. Paypal closed my dispute almost immediately and found in his favor.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

Isn't the sprocket on the. rear the same as on the 2 cycle. it sounds like a typical 9 hole one. If it is you can probably get the missing piece from one of the 2cycle sellers. If worse comes to worse use three finder washers and grind them to fit against each other maybe. The sprocket itself should hold it mostly flat and will be stiff enough to hold the washers. I had planned to do that for an electric engine I considered mounting.

I'm sure someone can make you an engine mount that will work. It looks like it might be a flat bar with a pole clamp on each end. Lots of guys here have welders. In the words of Jimmy Valvanno never give up, never give up, never give up. Mechanical things often humiliate me but I seldom let them beat me. Oh course I usually have to get someone to explain them to me. Hang in there you can do this.

Ps sometimes you just bite the bullet and give the guy the negative. I have done it twice and to heck with them. Both times we worked out the problem and withdrew it.

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com

Sorry, I thought you had a 2-stroke too, we'll still try to help where we can. I am courious about this engine also.

The mount for the wheel should be the same as the 2-stroke type, one thing I noticed this in your original post:

. Next, I find the sprocket kit only has 2 half moon clips when there should be 3. And one of the round rubber spacers had 2 big chunks gone out of it.

There are two diffrent types of plates for mounting the sprocket, one set is a 2-piece that is two half circles, and the other is a 3-piece in thirds. I have recieved kits with either of these types or both. When I can I use both layers pf plates layered so that there are no seams to the rubber and everything tightens down more evenly. For the rubber spacers, do you have the solid black rubber or are they cut out of old tires? The solid rubber is junk and crumbles over a short period of time, the tire ones are much more durable and I have never had a problem with them...Kelly

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead

I am a newbe to motorized bicycles.
I bought an inferior kit from kings (bushing not roller-bearing upper con-rod.
Thank goodness I missed this guy .
He is deserving of a special warning to all who use this forum.
Another forum does issue a warning about this seller.
He is a special case a ( Black hat alert).
My kings 2 stroke is going to become a jackshaft when it blows up.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

It might not blow up bushings were the only thing they had for a lot of years. You might be the lucky one who gets a hundred thousand miles on it. Okay maybe not that much.

I sure wouldn't skimp on the oil mix though.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

i have the same motor bicycle kit spad4me. the cheapest i could find not knowing better but it has been good to me. i have over 400 miles on it and sure it will have a lot more if summer ever gets here. dang this is a long winter