is the 212cc death row kit worth it

GoldenMotor.com

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
From what I have seen the kits offer a pretty good price on the kits, if you buy the parts individually you will pay more for the same things. But in some cases the parts in the kits are substandard to what you might want. The rag joint is not the best of the options for your rear wheel, but it will be the one in the kit. If you can live with the little things, the price is great, but if you want top of the line options, then spend the money up front. I bought the 80 Monster, I am in my 70's, if I need speed, I have a car and pickup, my bike is a toy to play with at the ranch. The rear wheel sprocket could be upgraded, but it handles what I give it. The motor mount is a "cluster", but it works. If either give up the ghost I will upgrade with a build of my own design in my own machine shop.

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
From what I have seen the kits offer a pretty good price on the kits, if you buy the parts individually you will pay more for the same things. But in some cases the parts in the kits are substandard to what you might want. The rag joint is not the best of the options for your rear wheel, but it will be the one in the kit. If you can live with the little things, the price is great, but if you want top of the line options, then spend the money up front. I bought the 80 Monster, I am in my 70's, if I need speed, I have a car and pickup, my bike is a toy to play with at the ranch. The rear wheel sprocket could be upgraded, but it handles what I give it. The motor mount is a "cluster", but it works. If either give up the ghost I will upgrade with a build of my own design in my own machine shop.
Lookin' at the picture, DC. It and items doesn't show wide cranks?

Dunno. Bought from them way back and communication was not great, then.

But an interesting kit.

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
The motor at HF is $120, their trans is $120, the CNC sprocket, $60, the CNC motor mount $60, that totals 360, the kit includes the throttle kit, gas tank, and misc stuff, that is worth more than the $19 that is left.

The wide crank, that will be needed and is not included. Still cheaper as a kit than by buying each component separately.

Personally, the 79cc is more than enough for a bicycle, if you want the 212, you would be better off looking at a motorcycle. The motorcycles have better brakes, stronger frames and are designed for that kind of torque.

Reactions: Dan

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
The 212 is well worth it over the 79cc IF you are building from ground up then you can purchase correct frame,wheels, brakes and othe stronger parts.

Patrick Fitzsimmons

Dec 25, 2018
I just put the 79cc kit on a beach cruiser. I live in the Pocono mountains of Eastern Pa. The 79 cc kit doesn’t come with a large enough sprocket or torque to be able to haul my 260lb frame up the hills. I would like to upgrade to a larger motor but will certainly change to a hub adapter/sprocket combo if I do. Once I get up to speed it takes off though.
In escence the engine you use depends on your size, the terrain you’ll be riding and the bike you’re putting it on.
I do wish there was an inexpensive torque convyfor the 79cc kit.
My son’s two strokes out climb me easily. Does anyone know of a small torque converter out there for the 79cc?

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
You could get a 5/8 to 3/4” shaft adapter. Then get a $50 3/4” cvt off ebay if you need one.Not sure on power with this set up. I’m sure someone on here has done it.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Jakob,
Death Row kits on a well build mechanically up graded Cruiser ? The torque converters breakage is the most notable flaw. Building a bike without using a kit so as to purchase a quality torque converter is imperative. Purchasing the strongest frame and wheel set is not optional it is required. A buddy built a Death Row kit on a Huffy stock. Reliability was never there, went thru three transmissions. Because they broke, and finally after four months the rear hub failed catastrophically. He only limped for a month and a half. If you don't want to go to the trouble of a quality ie. $$ build. Save your money for a real motorcycle. You won't regret it.
Tom from Rubicon

Reactions: zing and fasteddy