Is a License required in Florida

GoldenMotor.com

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
Thx for putting that up Fair. I've forwarded it to my Facebook. We should all keep tabs on it as it could set a precedent if it recieves a favorable judgement.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
You know, I share this info so we can all be informed what is happening, and to help future and current motor assisted bicycle riders. Thats it, if post like this starts flame wars then I will just stop sharing and that hurts all of us.

sticks_n_stuff27

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
Well I found out in the state of Florida, there is a clause specifically stating there is a difference between a moped, scooter and motorized bicycle in the FL statutes, that says you do not need a license to ride the MB's. I had the Assistant States Attourney look it up. Just as a FIY to anyone who was wondering...
Can you get that in writing or show me where I can get it? I go to court over mine on Aug. 4th and could use the info.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
That's exactly what I asked for when this thread first started.
Soccer's sister was the ASA for his county... So even IF he got pulled over and was sited, his sister could have just dropped the charges...
If he does have this law, I would love to see it too, because I would put a gas engine on my bike and carry that law with me.

(and please don't show me a law having to do with a moped not being a motor vehicle, because that statute has nothing to do with drivers license law)

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Good Grief!

It's a bicycle with a little engine on it, not a top fuel funny car!!!

The cops don't care...the DMV doesn't care...so why should anyone else that hasn't been a frequent flier of the judicial system?

Good find Fair: this story really tells it all.

Yes I saw the video, and by the womans own admission she has had many run-ins with the police for driving drunk. You get the impression that somewhere along the way a judge has told her to keep a low profile or go to jail.

The Florida cop probably felt like he had found a grouse hiding in the bushes. Whee I made a huge bust...and I'm sure it had less to do with the bike than her prior record.

As the newscaster pointed out, her bike is legal according to Florida law. More than likely the thing will be dismissed; unless a previous judge imposed a strict set of rules pertaining to her probation.

For most of us...the law is plain and clear...all you have to do is go to the DMV and ask.

I'm not paranoid about cops...I have a drivers license...I've been to the DMV...A motorized bicycle is not considered a motor vehicle in Florida.

For some odd reason the cops don't hassle me...go figure.

If a judge tells you that you had better not get caught setting foot on a skateboard...then obviously a MB is going to be out of the question.

Jim

sticks_n_stuff27

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
That's exactly what I asked for when this thread first started.
Soccer's sister was the ASA for his county... So even IF he got pulled over and was sited, his sister could have just dropped the charges...
If he does have this law, I would love to see it too, because I would put a gas engine on my bike and carry that law with me.

(and please don't show me a law having to do with a moped not being a motor vehicle, because that statute has nothing to do with drivers license law)
I agree. If anyone CAN actually find the FULL proof that a DL is NOT required I would like to see it and have a copy too.

tbone13

Feb 10, 2010
miami
i live in miami, anyone in miami or near here has had problems??? cuz i cant get a DL
so i built mine to drive around without taking bus or walking..plus the girls love it lol :)

tsupery

Aug 3, 2010
Florida
i live in miami, anyone in miami or near here has had problems??? cuz i cant get a DL
so i built mine to drive around without taking bus or walking..plus the girls love it lol :)
hi i live in miramar and i cant get a dl cuz im too young and i never drove it outside cuz i dont want to go to jail lol

maxlongstar

Oct 26, 2010
WPB, FL
After reading the many threads on this topic and researching all info that was posted the answer is still not clear. The woman who was busted ended up getting off.
My local DMV couldn't tell me anything cause afterall even with small motor it's still a bicycle. Wpb police didn't respond to my email queries. I haven't tried sheriff yet.
I don't see many MB's but a few. Two of whom I've spoken to had no DL And never been hassled. Another who had no DL was a paranoid wreck but had no choice to ride to get to a poor paying job. I have no DL by my own cause but a MB would be helpful at this time. I have no problem pedaling but assistance would be welcome. This MB idea is almost to good to be true! By the way how did the court date go for sticks n stuff 27?
Also there are a few local builders and dealers that insist on no registration or DL needed.
Also SOCCER can you provide proof of the documents from your ASA SISTER.

sticks_n_stuff27

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
Okay friends and fellow bikers!! I have some news to update!! My lawyer is a truck!! I'm still going thru the court systems and fighting like ****. There is a law stating you need a licensce for a GAS powered 48cc motor. But the put it under electrical operated not needing a DL!! My lawyer keeps using that statue and saying that you don't need a DL for a gas powered!! Great win my case with the electrical statue and I'll finish paying you. I'm still fighting it to all my friends and if you want to keep in contact and help fight for our rights go ahead and start using my sticks_n_stuff27 at yahoo address!! Easier to update and build a research group!! My next court date is Nov. 8th. Wish me luck!!

maxlongstar

Oct 26, 2010
WPB, FL
Sticks n stuff 27
Good luck on your next court date.
Can you post the reference about the law stating that a license is necessary for a MB?
My wife came home all excited about seeing someone on an MB this very evening at a light on her way home and was able to briefly ask about their need for DL and registration and they said no. So now your case is gonna be the deciding factor for building a bike. Thank You all for the input on this subject matter
Please post any reference to the law you mentioned in your last post please?!

sticks_n_stuff27

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
Sticks n stuff 27
Good luck on your next court date.
Can you post the reference about the law stating that a license is necessary for a MB?
My wife came home all excited about seeing someone on an MB this very evening at a light on her way home and was able to briefly ask about their need for DL and registration and they said no. So now your case is gonna be the deciding factor for building a bike. Thank You all for the input on this subject matter
Please post any reference to the law you mentioned in your last post please?!
Ok... Here's the thing with the law that can be quoted!! It can use two laws to counter act it. If you wanna give me your e-mail address and I will give you my phone number I can explain the whole thing easier to you and quote it better.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Ok... Here's the thing with the law that can be quoted!! It can use two laws to counter act it. If you wanna give me your e-mail address and I will give you my phone number I can explain the whole thing easier to you and quote it better.
Why not SHARE it!

We would all love to know what it is, or at least PM to me too, so I can use it...

Also, I would like to know about the woman that "got off"

Because maybe sticks (and his lawyer) can use the info contained in that case to help him with his...

Good luck sticks on Nov 8!

kelldog

Jan 15, 2011
Miami Beach
Greetings to all;
I have recently moved to Miami, Fl from CA. I am interested in this thread because I can not get my FL license until I clean up issues in CA. (working on it)
It is possible I will be working @ 25 miles from where I live so i am looking into getting a bike and or motorized bike. Sooooo...
Any news on the drivers license issue for riding a motorized bike in the Miami area? If I could get a DL then of course I would buy a car. {still want a bike though :) }
Thank you for your response and hoping you all are having safe and great rides out there.

Kelldog.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Greetings to all;
I have recently moved to Miami, Fl from CA. I am interested in this thread because I can not get my FL license until I clean up issues in CA. (working on it)
It is possible I will be working @ 25 miles from where I live so i am looking into getting a bike and or motorized bike. Sooooo...
Any news on the drivers license issue for riding a motorized bike in the Miami area? If I could get a DL then of course I would buy a car. {still want a bike though :) }
Thank you for your response and hoping you all are having safe and great rides out there.

Kelldog.
The only legal way to use a gas powered bicycle on public roads is to register it as a moped. Meaning that you need a DL.

You're only choice is to get an electric bicycle. If you want a good deal on a kit and help with a battery and hooking it all up, let me know.. I'm in Boca Raton and able to help you out..
You can PM me anytime.

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida
If you put gas in it you must have a drivers license. No matter what cc. If it is over 50cc, you must have a motorcycle license and it must be registered.

kelldog

Jan 15, 2011
Miami Beach
Boy! you can say that again!!!! Thanks for the replies, guys...I get it; so I am looking into electric bicycles. Thinking of a kit to convert a bike. I still like the idea of a motorized or electric bike. Thinking more about long commutes of 15+ miles. Even a scooter. First things first though.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Boy! you can say that again!!!! Thanks for the replies, guys...I get it; so I am looking into electric bicycles. Thinking of a kit to convert a bike. I still like the idea of a motorized or electric bike. Thinking more about long commutes of 15+ miles. Even a scooter. First things first though.
FYI.. My current setup allows for an 80mile round trip at about 18mph, so distance is not an issue, as long as you do it right, and as cheaply as you can afford.

You can do a 21+ mile trip with just a 48v 15ah battery and close to 30miles on a 48v 20ah, at 20mph easy.

I can find you a decent kit for ~$220 and then help you decide what size of battery you want to buy for your trip purposes. PM me if you're interested.

Last edited: