Interchangability?

GoldenMotor.com

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
how much stuff on commonly available bicycles is standardized in regard to swapping parts from one bike to another?

the cantilevered front brakes from the old DB Apex have migrated to the Goodwill Jaguar with no problem, as have the stem, handlebars and seat. but what about stuff like forks and cranks?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I believe there are a couple sizes of cranks as well as forks/bearings.....beyond that, I am unqualified to answer.

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
I'm not familiar with the Apex but I'm thinking it is a Mtn bike? With swapping out your forks you will need to have a 1" steer tube, most modern mountain bikes (within the last 5-10years) will have 1 1/8". If it happens to be correct the next step is the length, if it is too long it can be cut down to propper length, too short, SOL, find a new fork. If you need a standard cruiser fork I can hook you up with a new one cheap. With the bottom bracket if it has a one piece crank you should be able to swap everything over, 3 piece, no. If you have more bike questions give me a shout, I know I'm way behind in my reading but will keep an eye out for this...Kelly

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
thanks, Kelly!

the fork from the MtnB is probably a 1", but the tube is quite a bit longer and i don't want to cut it.

i may take good looking crank off a 20" bike and see if it'll go on the Jag; the chinese Jag pedal arms are really poorly finished and they look heavy. i also have a layback seatpost from the 20", but it's smaller diameter, but i've seen shims for cheap if i can find out the correct sizes.

i got a great 26" parts bike the other day for $9.99; all kinds of stuff on there that i can build with.
arrrgh... i'm hooked!

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hello, since you were able to use the stem, the fork SHOULD work, measure the steertube height, most 1" type bikes use a 22.2 headset.

NoGoodnic is correct in saying that ALMOST all 1 piece crankets and bearing sets will interchange.

The only problem I've had with 1 pc cranksets, is that real (American) Schwinns had thier own sizes on some models only, same as they did with Wheels and tires.

The other common older type headset is the 21.1 common on lightweight bikes, mostly pre mountain bike days.

Mike