Im Going Legal in PA

GoldenMotor.com

scribbles

Jul 4, 2008
Well its going to be a long journey but i will soon have a street legal home made moped.... aka motorized bike.... With all my research finished. i learned i cant go over 50cc and must have break lights turn signals and a head lights to ride on the street... After the bike is finished i must get it approved for the road by an Enhanced Vehicle Inspector. Then i must buy moped insurance about 60 dollars a year. Summit all to the state and receive title and a registered PA moped plate for my bike.

So to sum it all up
50cc kit about $250
Inspection $40
Insurance $60
Registration $6
Look on Police Officers face when i get pulled over and im legit.....

"SUPER HILARIOUS" since one of the cops at my college is a strict butt hole...rotfl

kengorman

Jul 9, 2008
yeah under 50cc u need registration, title, drivers license, and insurance.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have a follow-up question. The documentation on the PA DOT site is confusing at best.

Pennsylvania defines several types of vehicles that seem to apply to the project I'm thinking of completing.

From this document here they define the following:
Motorized Pedalcycle - A motor-driven cycle
equipped with operable pedals, a motor rated no
more than 1.5 brake horsepower, a cylinder
capacity not exceeding 50 cubic centimeters, an
automatic transmission and a maximum design
speed of no more than 25 miles per hour.​

This seems like a reasonable definition, except for the "automatic transmission" part. If I modify a bicycle that has gears and shifters, is it not considered a motorized pedalcycle if the transmission isn't automatic?

In another document called the "FACT SHEET: MOPEDS, MOTOR-DRIVEN CYCLES AND MOTORCYCLES" located here, the document states:

MOPED
DEFINITION: A motor-driven cycle equipped with operable pedals, a motor rated no more than 1.5 brake
horsepower, a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission,
and a maximum design speed of no more than 25 miles per hour, or an electric motor-driven
cycle equipped with operable pedals and powered by an electric battery.
CRITERIA: 1. Engine may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters.
2. Engine may not exceed 1.5 brake horsepower rating.
3. Operable pedals required.
4. Automatic transmission required.
5. Design speed may not be more than 25 miles per hour.
6. Does not require inspection.​

It seems the legislature "borrowed" the definition of "motorized pedalcycle" and then applied it to a "moped". They also added the critera to include bicycles with electric assist motors.

The interesting part is the final criterium which states that inspections aren't required.

This seems to be backed up by the "ENHANCED VEHICLE SAFETY INSPECTION
SELF-STUDY TRAINING AND REFERENCE GUIDE" located here.

In it, they define a "moped" as above, however, in the "APPLICATION FOR RECONSTRUCTED, SPECIALLY CONSTRUCTED, COLLECTIBLE, MODIFIED, FLOOD, RECOVERED THEFT VEHICLES AND STREET RODS", there isn't a check-mark to indicate that a "moped" is being inspected. There is a check mark for a both a motor cycle and for a motor-driven cycle "A motorcycle, including a motor scooter, with a motor which produces not to exceed five brake horsepower."

To me, it is clear that the intent of the legislature was to differentiate 3 types of vehicles, those with engines or motors less than 1.5hp and 50cc (i.e. moped), those under 5hp (motor driven cycle), and those over 5 hp (motorcycle).

I'd be interested in your experiences with an "enhanced vehicle inspector" and whether one does in-fact require an inspection.

Has anyone gone through the process of getting their motorized bicycle "legal" in Pennsylvania yet.

Regards,

Ken

scribbles

Jul 4, 2008
Ok i have talked to every one from Harrisburg to title agencies and to make every thing easy here is a step by step check list to go legal in PA

1. Get a sturdy safe pedal bike. (gears dont matter since they are on the bike)
2. Attach an engine that is under 50cc. Since it has one gear it is considered an atomatic.
3. Configure a head light (dot approved is best) and working brake light. The best way is to use this lever with the front brake ElectricScooterParts.com - Brake Levers
4. No need for turn signals
5. Have some kind of horn
6. Find an local ENHANCED VEHICLE SAFTEY INSPECTION STATION
7. Ask them to do an Inspection with a MV-426B form with pictures ($160)
8. Buy Moped insurance for about 60 dollars a year
9. Go to an title registration office. With prof of insurance and the MV-426B form and you pictures of the bike.
10. Wait 3 to 8 weeks for title
11. Get bike registered with new title and receive a MOPED plate
12. Now YOU ARE LEGAL!!!

I should be legal by Mid August ill keep every one posted if i encounter problems...

scribbles

Jul 4, 2008
By the way ken it does not need inspected for it to be street legal... It needs inspected so the state has proof my home made bike is safe and title worthy...

PA law quote "no need for inspection during REGISTRATION PROCESS" to get registered in PA u need a title. And to get the title it needs inspected i had to read between the lines for that one...

But this whole project is between the lines. :)

kengorman

Jul 9, 2008
Scribbles -

Thanks for all the great information. I'm still in the "information gathering" portion of my journey and will post again if I decide to tackle this project.

Regards,

Ken

scribbles

Jul 4, 2008
yeah if you have any question i will have the answer plus i for got u need a mirror as well for the enhanced inspection... but if you need an enhanced inspection station in you area i have a list of every one in PA...

YardMaster

Jun 8, 2008
I am very interested in the outcome of getting a MB registered and titled... Please keep us posted Scribbles.

Jason

scribbles

Jul 4, 2008
My goal is to have the bike legal before august 24 when i return to school. I will keep every one posted on this tread about my journey to becoming a legal moped biker...WOOOT

onesikschwinn

Mar 21, 2008
souderton,PA
so operable pedals is a MUST, i just pop start my bikes but might be able to make some exceptions. how could i get that list of places to inspect the bike? i live in souderton,PA 18964. so how is your journey going anyway?

yodabob

Jun 29, 2008
North Wales PA
Scribbles
I live in North Wales PA and tring to get a regestrration for my bike also. Ridge Auto said they would do it if they could find out from the state what the bike has to have. I'ved called every week for three weeks, still no answer.
yodabob

scribbles

Jul 4, 2008
I all most got the bike finished i am going to post pictures and create a build thread tomorrow and ill post the link in this thread as well...

yodabob

Jun 29, 2008
North Wales PA
Hello Yodabob, welcome to the forum :)
Thanks for the welcome. I'm all new to this form stuff, but Im' starting to find my way around. Still haventn't figured out how to start a post. Very interested in Scribbles registration progress. My bike is basicly done for now just tring to get it registered in PA also with nothing but heart ack so far. I knew that part was going to be harder then the bike build. Thanks for some great tips guys.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I think you mean to start a new thread?

Okay for example....

Let's say you want to make a new thread about PA motorized bicycle law.

You would click on the forum "Laws and Legislation"

At the top you will see a gold or bronze looking sprocket thats says " New Thread"

Click on that and enter the title of your headline....and type your post and hit "submit"...and thier you go a new thread.

And you have made several post on this thread by clicking "reply" so you got that down.

I hope I have been some help, any questions feel free to ask.
:ride2: