Im given her all shes got captain

GoldenMotor.com

PeteJ

Apr 27, 2023
Got the 78cc gasbike trike kit which starts and runs great but damn its slow. 15 mph on flat ground 14 on a slight upgrade and a screaming 17.8 on a downgrade. I know that might be blazing speeds to you guys:) but I believe it should do at least 20.
Only things I have done to it is is to run the throttle linkage to the actual throttle arm not the governor arm and
I also put a zip tie on governor spring. Both stock and with my throttle linkage mod it still runs the same speed.
i have it on a schwinn meridian with a 42 tooth sprocket which dont seem to heavy and I am 220. Question is is that as fast as a 78cc will go or is something wrong?
Thanks for any and all help Pete J

Attachments

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Your trike doesn't look like it has a differential on the axle. Which means you wouldn't be able to handle speeds over 20 mph. The engine drive system looks like it has a centrifugal clutch with a sprocket ran to a sprocket connected to the axle. You probably don't have enough reduction and are putting way too much strain on the engine robbing it of power.

Reactions: PeteJ

PeteJ

Apr 27, 2023
That is exactly what it is. Small sprocket on the clutch to large sprocket on wheel. I have seen a lot of the meridians with the predator 212 on them and the predator goes on sale next week. Would that be a much better option or just to much for that bike? or are there better ways to fix what I have? and again Thanks a lot for your help

PeteJ

Apr 27, 2023
Just in case info needed axel has one wheel on right hand side that the petals drive other side just spins freely.

PeteJ

Apr 27, 2023
The sprockets now use a 415 chain and looking at all the clutches for a 212cc motor they all come with different size chains. Will a 420 or other size chain work on the same sprocket thats on there or do I need to order a lower sprocket to? Thanks again

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I'd advise a 30 mph max speed using the 212 on a trike. Since you're only driving the left wheel which will make you prone to flipping when making high speed left turns. To have a top speed with the 212 you'd need a 9\1 total reduction. You can accomplish this by installing a double sprocket jackshaft. Meaning you'd need 2 chains. It'd be ran like this:

Clutch 10t > JS 30t | JS 10t > Wheel 30t

Reactions: PeteJ

PeteJ

Apr 27, 2023
I no doubt believe you on tipping it seems as if it would be easy to do now and will be lookin into clutch now. thanks

PeteJ

Apr 27, 2023
As of now I will leave trike as is its plenty fast enough for my old lady to scoot around on and as for me I will start searching for a 2 wheel bike and make a gnarly 2 smoke butt hauling speed demon. This is my very first attempt at a gas bike and I got the bug so stay tuned(^)