I'm beginning to wonder...

GoldenMotor.com

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
I'm beginning to wonder if these China Girl engines are some sort of ChiCom plot to reduce our dwindling "hands on" work force to spending half their time trying to keep their motorbikes running.
Case in point: Just today I received a brand spanking new 70cc.Best one yet.Smooth responsive and relatively quite.Took it for a short spin and jacked rear wheel up with new rear kick stand(highly recommended) and watched it idle,amazed at how much a chain can flap around.Goosed the throttle a little and suddenly no power to the wheel with clutch out.At first I thought it must be that the clutch lever pin fell out(been there).No such luck.Remove clutch cover and find small gear on end of crank shaft spins freely.Pull it off and find there is no key.Figured ChiCom forgot to put it in there.I mean where could it go(woodruff key)No problem,got one out the junk pile and off I go.Well about 200Yd.
Same thing.Pull gear and no key,WTF!Well it seem the drive shaft where the gear mounts extends about 3/16" beyond gear and large head slotted screw seats against shaft leaving enough in and out play in the gear to allow the key to slip out behind it.Is the shaft to long?I was lucky that neither key ended up it the gears.I found a spring that would fit over the shaft followed with a washer then screw.Not real sure about that setup but I did run for about 15 mi. afterwards with no problem.I have a similar motor tore down and need to check how it was any different.The gears are identical.
I guess it was just another day in a relationship with a China Girl.Jeez,Ron

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Aside from this gear issue this engine is by far the smoothest I've had.Sounds good too.
No way I'm parting with it.Not to mention the down time.This is a Dax,Previous engines were Boygofast.They ran alright but were noisy and vibrated somewhat.I'm sure there's a fix.Oops,falling for that commie plot I guess.Ron