Illinois

GoldenMotor.com

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
I seen SB1351 while doing a search for other Bills that were introduced or sponsored by Steans. It seems as though she is a necessary evil right now. She's pushing for these bikes to be legal and accepted as such, but yet wants to require helmets for all motor driven cycles.

The good part is we have a good voice in our support for getting these bikes legal, but we have an even greater mass voice opposing the helmet requirements. Most motorcycle groups aren't really going to give much thought to the motor-bicycles one way or the other. But I guarantee every one of them will speak up on the helmet bill.
a helmet law wouldn't bother me so much,i wouldn't want it to go thru,but i ive got a DOT helmet i use that looks like a WWII helmet i wear when i used to drive my harley.

i think for the time being,we should get some stickers and maybe a phony website up to make it look like we support disabled cops or something.that way when the cop pulls us over we can say we raise money by riding to support local cops.lol maybe they will let us get away with it?

cls74

May 24, 2008
Springfield, IL
SB0236 was rescheduled for the 3rd reading and vote for tomorrow. If it passes it will head to the house.

Looks like activity may slow down for a bit on HB1181, looking at other bills sent to assignments it appears they normally take around 2 weeks to send it back.

Westend Bikes

Jan 30, 2009
Sterling illinois
SB0236 passed it third reading. 59 YEAS 0 Nays.
I'm disabled and don't drive. i use these bikes to get around since we don't have public transportation to get around.
Senator Steans told me she is going to try hard to get this bill passed this year.
She took out the valid drivers license part for the disabled and eldery that don't drive anymore.
So we have another way to get around.

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
SB0236 passed it third reading. 59 YEAS 0 Nays.
I'm disabled and don't drive. i use these bikes to get around since we don't have public transportation to get around.
Senator Steans told me she is going to try hard to get this bill passed this year.
She took out the valid drivers license part for the disabled and eldery that don't drive anymore.
So we have another way to get around.
.....so if someone is revoked/suspended they can still operate a bicycle with an engine on it and have no fear of being charged with driving on a revoked/suspended??

cls74

May 24, 2008
Springfield, IL
It passed the senate indeed, scheduled for first reading in the house. 2nd reading is the one to watch. That is when the House will ammend it if they see fit. Hopefully it will pass as is and moves through the house like it did the senate.

If it moves through the house as it is you will be legal outlaw. It's only requirement is to be 16 years of age or older. Does not mention exclusions for anyone.

And for another high point. SB1351 lost 14-42-1 and that one never got out of the senate.

Last edited:

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
In the link cls74 posted, it says:

a person may operate a low-speed electric bicycle only if the person has a valid current Illinois driver's license
So this isn't exactly what outlawbiker (or I) wanted to hear. But if our MBs are not classified as motor vehicles, maybe the penalty for unlicensed riding will not be the usual "driving on a suspended/revoked". If they are not motor vehicles, I don't see how a violation can be put on your driving record. (but this IS Illinois)

cls74

May 24, 2008
Springfield, IL
I have to admit, I just seen the new version pop up and I linked to it without fully reading it.

I'm not sure what to make of it. It looks like it is the original version minus the sam001 ammendment. Not sure if they had to submit the original text when sending it to the house or what the deal is. It doesn't mention the low speed gas bicycle either. I removed it from my post to eliminate confusion. Sorry about that

Last edited:

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
Losing the 30 mph top speed is not a good thing however as they are lumping gas bikes in with electric it seems according to this:

Adds reference to:
625 ILCS 5/1-140.15 new

Replaces everything after the enacting clause with the original bill as introduced and makes the following changes. Adds a definition for a "low-speed gas bicycle" and treats a low-speed gas bicycle the same as a low-speed electric bicycle in a provision regulating the use of low-speed bicycles and a provision excluding low-speed bicycles from the definition of a motor vehicle.

Excerpted from: Illinois General Assembly - Bill Status for SB0236

This means that in order to do 30 you must adhere to the moped laws which at the very least requires a title as per the statutes and that is hard to produce for a MB.

"Illinois

You must have a valid drivers license
You must have a title for the moped
You must register the moped with the state
You must have plates on the moped
You must have insurance for the moped.
LAWS: Moped drivers must obey all signs, signals and traffic laws. They also must obey most bicycle laws.
SPEED: A moped may not go over 30 miles per hour. (This is somewhat contrary to the Illinois wording, which states that the ped must have a "speed attainable in one mile of 30MPH or less." Presumably, this means that the ped could go 70MPH, as long as it takes a mile to get to 30.)
PASSENGERS: Moped drivers may carry a passenger only when the moped is made for two people. Equipment must include a passenger seat and a passenger footrest.
EQUIPMENT: If a moped is driven at night, it must have a headlight visible from at least 500 ft. A moped must also have a red reflector on the rear visible from at least 100 to 600 ft."

If I was you boys and girls there in IL I would be trying to get that straightened out but it may be too late?

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
Hmmm, I see alot of fee talk there towards the end and expedited titling, imagine that. I don't see anything favorable for MB's there at all and I agree that unless there is some heavy last second lobbying and some sympathetic ears the ax is going to fall.

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
....well any one who is in contact with this senator steans,dont mention that some of us are revoked/suspended cause then they might make sure that this is another loop hole closed to people looking for personal transportation needs cause the state took away their drivers privileges,cause we know how illinois loves to find the most elaborate ways to make money off the most ridiculous things,example;not wearing a seat belt 75 dollar fine + probable cause to search you vehicle to find anything else to incriminate you with to make more money off you, or these stop light cameras which are popping up all over the chicagoland suburbs,costing a 200+ in fines just cause your tire went over the line an inch? maybe we need to pay an agency to police the police? idk

Last edited:

cls74

May 24, 2008
Springfield, IL
Your not going to hear any updates for a little bit. They are not in session again until next Monday and both bills have been assigned to seperate bodies for review. I wouldn't even consider trying to give a timeframe. Another bill dealing with moped titling and senior citizen cost has been in assignments since the 20th of February. Could be a week or could be ???????????? Sucks to hear it like that but it's all there is. Hopefully they get it moving again next week but no guarantees

waterdamage

Mar 20, 2009
IL & FL
thanks 4 the no guarantee I know how IL works ANY THING FOR THE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
im still gonna ride regardless,and i would encourage anyone else to do the same,the law is the law,but im an outlaw anyhow.i just want to know what they can throw against me so my attorney can slam em back.

Alternate_Ryder

Apr 20, 2009
North-Eastern Illinois
Hello Everyone,

I haven't really posted anything yet, but I decided to add my 2 pennies in because of my
research into this subject as well. I have 1 bike presently, (a prototype you could say) that
got me started into the "motorizing bicycle" bit. I'm currently working on a second bike
right now.

ChopperChad, my research found that presently any motorized bike with an engine size between
50cc and 149cc requires a Class-L license. Anything below that requires just an ordinary driver's
license. In addition, anything that is <50cc can not be on any US Highway or Interstate.
Likewise, anything requiring a Class-L license can not be driven on the interstate, but can be
driven on a US Highway. County-roads and local routes are not specified.

Also, under the current law, the specially-constructed-vehicles provision has specific
requirements. All of which are inspected by the Secretary of State Police. I don't have the sheet
in front of me, but I know that some of the requirements are working headlights and taillights that
can be seen from 200ft away. 2 different brake systems need to be applied to the rear wheel,
manipulated by 2 different levers; both of which must activate the brake light, and a horn that can be heard from 200ft away also.

Also, I was just looking at page 4 of the forum, but it does appear the measure passed the
house.
.cptr.

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
maybe its the booze talkin, but i seriously think we shouldn't go with fear of the law on this as long as we are not something outside of a bicycle. we do have a bunch of people i know trying to find insurance and a way to title their motorized bicycles which is going to be the end of our fight cause the law will step in and say its time to tax and 'extort' this class of people. we should ride free and without problems. i will be the one amongst the numbers if i have to for our rights in this state of corruption and i have an attorney who would love more than anything in his time defend me in my cause. id say keep riding free and when law comes across your way take it to jury trial and dispute what makes a bicycle a bicycle. (besides that,they dont like to spend a dime on jury trials here in Illinois so do it! chances are for something as remedial as this it will be dismissed before it comes to that) never fear, the public will take your side in a jury trial providing the fact u can convince em it is a bicycle and nothing else outside of that fact.

waterdamage

Mar 20, 2009
IL & FL
boy just when you get a little bit of freedom the state of IL shoots you down You know this is why i moved out of il in 2000 looks like im not going to make a full year back here!!!:-||

Westend Bikes

Jan 30, 2009
Sterling illinois
The bill is in the house of represenitives right now.
It has gone through it's first reading and is now assigned to the vehicle & safety committee.
their going over the bill on 4/29.
I think the bill will pass. One of the Senators that voted yes for the bill the way it stands now was a
sheriff in lee county.