ignition problem please help

GoldenMotor.com

hankxxx

Feb 15, 2009
ohio
ok i have the chinese 80cc from bikeberry and my coil has a blue and a black, my mag has a black green and white, and my kill switch has a yellow and a green.

its hooked from black to black green to blue from mag to coil, kill switch is green grounded to frame and yellow to white is this correct? i get a bit of back fire but it wont run

please help

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
ok i have the chinese 80cc from bikeberry and my coil has a blue and a black, my mag has a black green and white, and my kill switch has a yellow and a green.

its hooked from black to black green to blue from mag to coil, kill switch is green grounded to frame and yellow to white is this correct? i get a bit of back fire but it wont run

please help
Hank,
The wire colors may vary from engine to engine but take a look at the diagram I posted here and copy it. Most of us do not use the white wire. Grounding it will kill your engine but its not the way it should be used. Me and a lot of others firmly believe that the kill switch should be used. You will hear from guys who will tell you to kill the engine with the clutch or choke. For safety's sake use the kill switch but wire it per the diagram above. The white wire is provided for lighting only.
Tom
http://motorbicycling.com/f34/no-white-wire-coil-5394.html

Last edited:

hankxxx

Feb 15, 2009
ohio
thank you very much, but i have it hooked up like that and all im getting is a putter and no real engine start, iv went through the carbs everything is in working order, and im getting spark iv primed it, use a little starting fluid to be safe and even put a new plug in it! i even went as far as to put starting fluid in the cylinder and it did the same thing.

any ideas?

i work and repair motor cycles and small engines and im stumped this engine is brand new

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
you have the spark plug gapped at around 0.020 to 0.025? on your new spark plug wire if the ends won't stay tight in the cdi or the spark plug boot clip off about 1/4" of the spark plug wire and rescrew it into the cdi and the spark plug boot.
try to start it with the throttle at about 1/2 open or at least more than at idle once you get it to running keep it reved and set the idle with the idle screw turn it in to increase the idle speed.