If you like your Huasheng 142F-cc 49cc 4 stroke don't do this

GoldenMotor.com

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
i disagree. cheap bicycles are built to do 15 or 20 (in the case of some of the cheaper walmart specials, i'd be afraid to even go that fast.)

but with modern sealed bearings, heavy gauge spokes (the 1903 has 12g spokes, right?) and a well made bike, assembled by a competent mechanic, can easily exceed 30mph.

modern road bikes regularly go 35 to 40 under pedal power, and a guy went 118mph on a mountain bike down a volcano. (trying to beat his record, he went 130 something and the bike exploded, so i maybe there is a limit:))

my daily rider does well over 30, and stops no problem with a 70mm drum brake up front and a coaster in the rear. and it's built for it.

Felt makes a quality bike, and with a few more upgrades, i think it could easily handle 50mph+.

i think what's most important, in the case of most people, is should they go over 30 on a bike...
That is my point exactly as a seller of bikes I don't want my customers going over 30 MPH. It just makes sence to me to keep the speed down, I don't build my bikes to go fast. I build them to cruise around 25 MPH that way people get to see what I have built and not just a blur flying past. Cruise slow and look good doing it. That is my motto :)

Last edited:
Reactions: carl clack

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
hi all as for brakes I got a 90mm drum on front and a DURA-ACE REAR BRAKE it stops well. but i am changing over to disc, 203mm front and rear. since I need to repaint the bike I can mig me a rear mount for disc brake on rear. and I am going to get a Springer with disc mount for the front.

30mph is plenty fast on a bicycle i just want to keep up with traffic.
Yes get the best brakes you can find for your bicycle by all means that way when a stupid A car driver makes a right turn in front of you when you are riding a long the curb at 30 MPH you will at least have a chance at stopping

N057828

Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne Australia
Hi guys Im a noob at this BUT love the motor HuaSheng 142F-cc 49cc 4 Stroke Engine .
Anyone selling these from the States to Australia.
Im gona build one up from scratch but need to know. What ya think of this bike? Also would like a rear drum and sprocket to go with above engine?
Mambo - Men's 66cm Cruiser Bike
cheap price for the above engine kit please shipped to Australia/melbourne thankyou!

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
Hi guys Im a noob at this BUT love the motor HuaSheng 142F-cc 49cc 4 Stroke Engine .
Anyone selling these from the States to Australia.
Im gona build one up from scratch but need to know. What ya think of this bike? Also would like a rear drum and sprocket to go with above engine?
Mambo - Men's 66cm Cruiser Bike
cheap price for the above engine kit please shipped to Australia/melbourne thankyou!

Hi
Please email me direct I can give you a quote if you give me your address and info but not on this page please [email protected]
Cheers
Terry

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
hi all as for brakes I got a 90mm drum on front and a DURA-ACE REAR BRAKE it stops well. but i am changing over to disc, 203mm front and rear. since I need to repaint the bike I can mig me a rear mount for disc brake on rear. and I am going to get a Springer with disc mount for the front.

30mph is plenty fast on a bicycle i just want to keep up with traffic.
Must be nice.....to keep up with traffic around here ya need 60-80mph and that's no joke.

dnut

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I built a cruiser with a 98cc minibike engine, Worksman front drum (no idea how many mm, picked it up at a rally/swap meet for $35) and rear coaster. I geared my bike for 32mph redline (plenty fast enough for me, driving through the city and besides I wanted a little hill climbing ability). The bike can cruise at 30 easily, and the front brake alone is usually adequate stopping power. I think you should gear your bike for whatever speed you like, as long as your happy with it and the wheels and engine can handle it and you've got adequate brakes, thats all that matters. Being a competent rider is just as important as being a competent builder. If you feel comfortable at the speeds you normally drive, then its mostly a matter of preference.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
What's even funnier than that is some of the things you said here back in 2010. :p
IMO there's nothing funny about people using the Search function and necrobumping old threads.

Anyway, for prosperity's sake, my HS is nearly 3 years old and has never seen 8K RPM. It has seen over 7500 maybe 3 times in over 6000 miles.
No need to spin over HP peak RPM when one has the optimum Motor-assisted Bicycle setup! :D

5:1 4G (11T output) on SBP kit with Staton 18T input. SBP output is 9T -> 76T #35, from there a 44 -> 15 on a Sturmey X-RD5.

1st: 35.15:1 (~15MPH @ 7K)
2nd: 29.81:1 (~18 @ 7K)
3rd: 23.55:1 (~23 @ 7K)
4th: 18.55:1 (~29 @ 7K)
5th: 15.70:1 (~35 @ 7K)

At 25MPH in 5th gear my HS is purring at 5K and I'm pedaling about a wonderful 75RPM, thanks to a 69.09:1 engine reduction ratio to pedal crank.

I think the HS starts to sound a little frantic over 6500, whereas at 6K and under it sounds relaxed.

hawaii_87

San Diego's Master Ride Organizer
May 17, 2011
San Diego
My Felt MP set up is a HS 49cc with the 4G 5:1 reduction to a 44 tooth rear sprocket. According to my GPS, my top speed is 39.77mph downhill. No way to find out what RPM's I'm running. Motor is 1.5 years old and always at full throttle. Flat land 34.59 top speed.

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
My Felt MP set up is a HS 49cc with the 4G 5:1 reduction to a 44 tooth rear sprocket. According to my GPS, my top speed is 39.77mph downhill. No way to find out what RPM's I'm running. Motor is 1.5 years old and always at full throttle. Flat land 34.59 top speed.
LOL Go Man Go LOL let me know when you need some parts
Always happy to see people with insterest in a thread old or not even if other people don't like it :p
Cheers
Terry

hawaii_87

May 17, 2011
San Diego
Terry your MP inspired me to build mine!!! After the 99 cc engine swap next will be suspension and then electrical.

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
Terry your MP inspired me to build mine!!! After the 99 cc engine swap next will be suspension and then electrical.
Cool so happy to hear that, I have just one thing to say please do something with your front brakes I want you to be safe going fast, sealed bearings is the only way to go also.
Cheers and thx for the kind words you made my day
Terry

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
My Felt MP set up is a HS 49cc with the 4G 5:1 reduction to a 44 tooth rear sprocket. According to my GPS, my top speed is 39.77mph downhill.
No way to find out what RPM's I'm running. Motor is 1.5 years old and always at full throttle. Flat land 34.59 top speed.
easy to figure out your rpm's

If you are using a 12 tooth sprocket and 26" wheels at 39.7 mph = 9,400 rpm

35 mph = 8300 rpm

hawaii_87

May 17, 2011
San Diego
Dont worry Terry. That is part of the upgrading. This is my daily rider commuter I want it to last and be safe for those around me.

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
easy to figure out your rpm's

If you are using a 12 tooth sprocket and 26" wheels at 39.7 mph = 9,400 rpm

35 mph = 8300 rpm
Your math is bang on Huasheng 142F-cc 49cc 4 stroke engine can reach that RPM but be warned that if you reach that RPM for a sustained period you will do damage as this engine uses a dipper type oil system and it has limitaions.

You can hit 9500 RPM but only for a 30 seconds or less any more and poof
It is repairable finding the parts can be a challenge for some

Good Luck
Terry

Panhead

Mar 20, 2015
Michigan U.S.A.
Your math is bang on Huasheng 142F-cc 49cc 4 stroke engine can reach that RPM but be warned that if you reach that RPM for a sustained period you will do damage as this engine uses a dipper type oil system and it has limitaions.

You can hit 9500 RPM but only for a 30 seconds or less any more and poof
It is repairable finding the parts can be a challenge for some

Good Luck
Terry
And, there it ends. Interesting thread, but, I still don't know how to rid myself of that governor on the 49cc engine. Guess it's time to take that little sucker apart & do some digging.

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
And, there it ends. Interesting thread, but, I still don't know how to rid myself of that governor on the 49cc engine. Guess it's time to take that little sucker apart & do some digging.
Hi you should be able to remove all of the parts for the governor but you will be left with the hole in the engine case, you maybe able to find some kind of plug for that hole you can try an automotive store and try to match the hole with an engine frost plug.

Good luck
Terry