I finally found a Kulana Moon Dog

GoldenMotor.com

Upshifter

Dec 27, 2008
Oregon
I tried several Wal Marts, the internet, and other places, but just couldn't find a Kulana Moon Dog for my next build. But, I got better than just lucky. I drove past a second hand store and saw two bikes setting out front. I went back to look at them, and one was a green KMD, the newer style, and it was clean, nearly like new. Yet, the seat had a broken bracket, and the plastic pedals were both broken. I asked the guy what he wanted for it, and he said, 30 dollars. That nearly floored me. The bike is beautiful. As soon as the weather is better, I'm going to install a new Power King engine kit on it. I have the kit already, and that means, other than labor, I will have a choice Moon Dog motor bike for about $150.00. Life is good.

Hill of Beans

Dec 22, 2008
Georgetown, SC
Know what you mean Upshifter. Jumped on two I found close by on craigslist. He had dozens of calls after I travelled and bought them. Had to buy the lady's bike as well, but both only a year old, ridden twice, nubbies still on the tires. Mine green also. Almost complete after waiting on custom billet mounts. Both cost 140.00$$
Anyone need a purple lady's Kulana Moondog, or mounts?

Upshifter

Dec 27, 2008
Oregon
Hill of Beans, It would be interesting to know how many KMDs have been, or are being, used for builds. Also, where do you get the billet mounts?

Bike Guy Joe, I'll try to cover this build with pictures, but the weather is too wet and cold to do much yet.

I have a girls mountain bike that I bought cheap for parts. The pedals fit my Moon Dog; but I'm still wondering whether to fix the broken seat, or get a new better one for 20 dollars. I don't care for the original two tone black and white seat.

brisbane_boy

Oct 26, 2008
Australia Brisbane
hey upshifter. Sounds like you got a good deal. u should have a look for some new BMX pedals ( the realy stong metal ones)
also with the seat i think it would be worth just spending the $20 and getting a brand new seat.
Just my 2 cents
Duncan S

Upshifter

Dec 27, 2008
Oregon
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I think that I will spend the 20 bucks and buy a new seat for my Moon Dog. Thanks for the tip about the pedals.

Upshifter

Dec 27, 2008
Oregon
Here's my 30 dollar Moon Dog. I think I'll buy a new seat for it. The Original has the classic cruiser springs, but the rest of the seat is too hard. I left the seat off for these pictures.

Attachments

Upshifter

Dec 27, 2008
Oregon
TheBeak,

I wanted a Moon Dog, but I don't know if I can stomach the green paint for much longer. I may repaint it.

What color is the one in your town?

TheBeak

Feb 25, 2009
Blue Hill Maine/ California
its that green too
he said i could buy the bike off him for $50 if my project didn't work out.
But i think i'm gonna pass cause my bike is coming around.
But yeah i would repaint it too, cause that color isn't that great

Upshifter

Dec 27, 2008
Oregon
TheBeak,

Also, I like the old frame style better than mine, too.

I know a guy that paints cars, and if I take the frame to him when he's using a color I like, he could shoot the bike frame at the same time. Except I'm going to loose the KMD logo, which I don't like to do. I've got a couple other builds that I'm working on. Maybe I'll not use the KMD, but I'd like to.

I ordered a 50cc Power King last week. I've ordered from them before with free shipping, with no problem, and no import duty or anything. This time, my package is stalled at customs in Seattle, Washington for some reason. It's been there since the 5th of this month. I'm not happy about that, because the kit was really inexpensive, $100.00 with free shipping. I had made PK an offer on ebay, and they accepted it.

Anyway, UPS was to have delivered my kit on the 6th of March, but there it sits. I think the environmentalists are having these kits banned, and it wouldn't surprise me if it's already started.

TheBeak

Feb 25, 2009
Blue Hill Maine/ California
ahhh i really hope the hippies, or environmentalists, are having these things banned. I'm getting one from canada soon and i hope i don't have that problem. Thats pretty lucky with the car painter situation. I'm just using spray cans. i want a spray gun.

why would they ban these things, its got to be better than driving cars or suvs or whatever. They just hate everything. But i guess thats a different issue.