Huffy Davidson WLA Build

GoldenMotor.com

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
I know I already have a build thread going, why not another one lol.

so I’m starting with a Huffy Deluxe. I plan on converting it to a WWII Harley WLA. I plan on adding a rifle scabbard, faux rifle, saddlebags, an ammo can, headlight, taillight and a blackout headlight & taillight.

I will leave the rack on the back for the saddle bags. I plan on putting some Harley style Chinese made forks. I also plan on adding a bigger gas tank. I have a pic below that will fit the image. it will also get some knobby tires. And a big tan seat with a suspension seat post. Then to finish it off, some olive drab paint.

to power it, I will still probably go with a China doll 2 stroke. Someday I will step up to a 4 stroke predator, possibly for a Harley BTR build, lol.

Tom, this is the build I will use the new fender braces.

anyway, deconstruction has begun

Attachments

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
I guess I will play around with this build today, since I failed to get brazing rods last week and am completely out. No place to buy brazing rods around here on a Saturday or Sunday.

so anyway I’ll probably scrub the paint off of this frame today

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
This should be good.

If I may make a suggestion Danny. Check out the leather goods offered on eBay by India's craftsmen. There are some great deals to be had on some spiffy solo saddles and saddlebags intended for use on Royal Enfields. Plenty choices. Plain, embossed and variously stitched types can be had. Example pics attached. These might work for your WLA tribute. All the stuff I've bought via eBay from sellers in India are bargain priced, shipped post free and I've never had to pay any import duties. Just my two penn'orth.

royal enfield solo seat and saddlebags.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Gonna need some chemical remover to get in the tight spaces.
This should be good.

If I may make a suggestion Danny. Check out the leather goods offered on eBay by India's craftsmen. There are some great deals to be had on some spiffy solo saddles and saddlebags intended for use on Royal Enfields. Plenty choices. Plain, embossed and variously stitched types can be had. Example pics attached. These might work for your WLA tribute. All the stuff I've bought via eBay from sellers in India are bargain priced, shipped post free and I've never had to pay any import duties. Just my two penn'orth.

View attachment 107130 View attachment 107131
thanks for the tip, I like what I see better than some amazon stuff I see

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
This should be good.

View attachment 107130 View attachment 107131
Can you provide a link? I’m looking but haven’t found what you posted.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
So I have these various engines sitting around the property in different states of disrepair. Wondering if any of them would be a viable option for this build. Need to read some more. Can any of these be used as direct drive or would they require a jack shaft and gearing? One is a tiller the rest are mowers.

Attachments

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
After some further research it looks like the tiller by far and away would be the easiest to do but still requires a jack shsft. And after watching a few videos, it requires much frame modification because if it’s size lol.

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
I know I already have a build thread going, why not another one lol.

so I’m starting with a Huffy Deluxe. I plan on converting it to a WWII Harley WLA. I plan on adding a rifle scabbard, faux rifle, saddlebags, an ammo can, headlight, taillight and a blackout headlight & taillight.

I will leave the rack on the back for the saddle bags. I plan on putting some Harley style Chinese made forks. I also plan on adding a bigger gas tank. I have a pic below that will fit the image. it will also get some knobby tires. And a big tan seat with a suspension seat post. Then to finish it off, some olive drab paint.

to power it, I will still probably go with a China doll 2 stroke. Someday I will step up to a 4 stroke predator, possibly for a Harley BTR build, lol.

Tom, this is the build I will use the new fender braces.

anyway, deconstruction has begun
Great build idea

My neighbor friend used to build 2 strokes. He would hand brush them olive green and hand paint a star on the gas tank and put a luggage rack on it with small messenger bags. He would advertise it as a tribute replica WW 1 messenger M/C Then he would sell the bike.
He even hand brushed his Harley Sportster Olive green like a WW 2 M/C. I was surprised at how good it looked. I called it a 20/20 paint job. It looks good 20 ft. away going 20 mph LOL.

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Great build idea

My neighbor friend used to build 2 strokes. He would hand brush them olive green and hand paint a star on the gas tank and put a luggage rack on it with small messenger bags. He would advertise it as a tribute replica WW 1 messenger M/C Then he would sell the bike.
He even hand brushed his Harley Sportster Olive green like a WW 2 M/C. I was surprised at how good it looked. I called it a 20/20 paint job. It looks good 20 ft. away going 20 mph LOL.
That great lol

and thanks it should be a fun build

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
While this build should not require too much frame fabrication, I am going to need to add a front rack on the bike. It’s going to have to support the weight of a ammo can and a rifle scabbard frame.

I don’t see many viable options online for a front bicycle rack. Most are aluminum. Unless someone knows of a steel rack that I could actually weld to, I may have to fabricate my front rack.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Build your own bespoke rack.
I doubt there's an off the peg one out there that'll suit your needs anyway.
Suitable tube, flat stock, and maybe some brackets such as those from the Bimini range (available from boat chandlers and mainly intended for use building boat canopy frames) would be a good starting point to make a rack that'll virtually bolt together. I've used stainless Bimini brackets for all kinds of stuff on my bikes.

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Build your own bespoke rack.
I doubt there's an off the peg one out there that'll suit your needs anyway.
Suitable tube, flat stock, and maybe some brackets such as those from the Bimini range (available from boat chandlers and mainly intended for use building boat canopy frames) would be a good starting point to make a rack that'll virtually bolt together. I've used stainless Bimini brackets for all kinds of stuff on my bikes.
Cool, thanks for the ideas Pete

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
I am considering making some faux monarch or faux Harley Davidson forks for this build.

about 5:40 into this video this guy welds some uprights on his stock forks. He also adds a faux triple tree up top. Not planning on doing the 1/4” bars on the fork, however I could use the 1/4” bars for my front bike rack(welded to the front forks. My plan would different as I would add compression springs Around those uprights for a monarch style fork or a plate and another 2 springs on top for a Harley style fork. Taking a break from Hand filing brass on my Other build lol

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
So after a little mockup, the handlebars need to go behind the springer uprights. But not as far as the stock steering stem moves it back when turned 180°. Have a new stem coming that will set the handlebars just behind the springs.

Attachments