Huffy Cranbrook Vs Huffy Nel Lussi

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 14, 2016
Texas
I rushed into the motorized bike world. I know NOTHING about them.

I tried putting together a 80cc engine purchased from amazon on my Roadmaster Granite peak. The carb. threw my engine out of alinement and the tensionor keeps sliding. On top of this..when I went to test the bike...when I released the clutch..the back tire just....skids. Which I assume is because of the problems listed above. Furthermore my throttle pin...the thing I'm suppose to drill a hole for in the handle bars...was plastic ...so it's no loner whole...it's grinded down..so..super glue here I come?

I purchased a spring tension that attaches to the cover of the chain spin. ( the clutch pin pull )

But I won't be using the bike due to the carb throwing the engine off balance.

So I'm buying either a Cranbrook or a Nel Lusso.

Which one should I buy?

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
The basic frames of these two bikes appear to be the same. The Lusso has more 'stuff' (racks, different fenders, etc.) on it. The 'stuff' has a tendency to break off or come loose, which poses additional problems ---- but it sure looks good!

I have an off-set intake manifold on mine that eases any fitment issues, though with the Cranbrooks there probably won't be an issue.

Best of luck on your continued adventures!!

Reactions: JerryAssburger
Aug 14, 2016
Texas
The basic frames of these two bikes appear to be the same. The Lusso has more 'stuff' (racks, different fenders, etc.) on it. The 'stuff' has a tendency to break off or come loose, which poses additional problems ---- but it sure looks good!

I have an off-set intake manifold on mine that eases any fitment issues, though with the Cranbrooks there probably won't be an issue.

Best of luck on your continued adventures!!
Well safetly is my main concern. Since 'stuff' make more weight on the bike..I'm going with the Cranbrook. Luckily I only weight about 120. Yes..I AM an adult haha. I'm not patience enough to figure out the whole...'bend the coaster break thing'. I'm just going to ditch it and install hand breaks. I plan to remove the fenders since I hear people get hurt behind them. The only concern I have is riding in the rain. Will that HURT my engine?

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Yes the Cranbrook is by far the better choice as the welded racks will cause frame failure possibly on the Nel Lusso. Get a pair long reach cruiser brakes referred as 1080s. Easy to find on ebay. Porkchop has the best ones. The coaster brake arm bend is super easy if you give it a try you will have 3 brakes. I have now Built 4 Cranbrooks and they are plug and play and have nice heavy 12 gauge spokes, however the tires wont last much longer than 600-800 miles as we have seen though...Yep remove fenders for safety too.
I've just gone direct to squeeze brakes front and rear as they install in minutes and i always use a 40 tooth CNC sprocket and CNC hub adapter right away. They are just so trouble free and always are centered perfect and u can adjust horizontal by in minutes to get a permanent and perfect chain alignment. You will love the chain tensioner you bought on the cranny Good luck and post your new build.
A link to one of my Cranbrook motorized bikes below

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=61596

.wee.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
I forgot to mention the rain question... One it's probably dangerous to ride in the rain on purpose but by sealing your magneto cover and wire hole with a bead at the joint with rtv silicone you will lessen the chance of the mag getting wet and a wet mag could fail. Other than tires slipping and causing a spill, bikes will rust if you don't dry them ASAP . These light motorbikes and rain don't mix well...so if you get caught in it at least slow way down as squeeze brakes don't work as well wet either.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
All of the above, plus, I think the Crannies are fine look'n bikes!!

I've also replaced my wheels and internals with much higher quality parts.........but this was after a couple of years use.

Aug 14, 2016
Texas
You guys are wonderful. I thank you for the advice. I didn't have a crescent wrench...but save me the sysuspence..will my rag joint hole be big enough when I take off the coaster..or will I NEED a rear sprocket adapter.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
You guys are wonderful. I thank you for the advice. I didn't have a crescent wrench...but save me the sysuspence..will my rag joint hole be big enough when I take off the coaster..or will I NEED a rear sprocket adapter.
Sorry, but you'll have to bend it a little (easy and simple to do). The rear sprocket adapter does make a somewhat easier install, but it's certainly not necessary. I didn't get an adapter until I upgraded my wheels.........the ragjoint actually did very well. Just make sure it's absolutely centered around the axle. This will eliminate potential chain issues.

Best of luck in your adventure!

Radar00

Apr 28, 2016
PA
I have both those frames- If you get the Nel Lusso, either remove the chromed extendable rack or weld it in place. I find the luggage rack vibrates fiercely with it installed and can lead to the welded on rack braces cracking. However with it either removed or welded in place there is no issue.

With either frame be sure to check the crank and hubs and make sure they are adequately greased. Also secure the fenders with L brackets instead of the crappy tabs they have

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Is there a place to learn how to crease my hub?
Best one is from Houston motorbike greasing a Cranbrook. Get some cone wrenches and a cheap steel pipe for leverage. Getting bearings the right amount of tension is the only tricky part. The factory puts some thread locker on the cone nuts...hence the pipe needed to give you extra power to break the nuts free.

Peejus

Jul 8, 2016
Virginia
I have about 300 miles on my 80cc del nusso.
I did tear it completely down and rebuilt it before installing the engine.
Yes, I removed the rear rack extension, all nuts replaced with nylon lock nuts.
Inspect your bike before running!

Aug 14, 2016
Texas
is it IMPORTANT or KEY that I use HIGH TEMP grease or does regular old $10 of grease from the bike shop work as well?

Edit: :-||

Dear lord WHY D: The rag joint Sprocket center hole isn't big enough. I will either have to grind the center holewider or order a rear sproket adapter.

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
High temp is definitely better, but any grease is better than none. I've always used Lucas Red & Tacky just because that's what I use on my vehicles........and I'm positive that I've never paid $10 for it (maybe $5 or $6 ---- been a while since I've purchased this).

Aug 14, 2016
Texas
High temp is definitely better, but any grease is better than none. I've always used Lucas Red & Tacky just because that's what I use on my vehicles........and I'm positive that I've never paid $10 for it (maybe $5 or $6 ---- been a while since I've purchased this).

Thank you for the feedback. Money is a little tight. Normal grease is good. Hugh temp is preferred, gotcha.

You know. To my shock...Wal-mart ACTUALLY pre-greased my hub...I stuck my grease on top of theirs..but...it wasn't needed much.

Let us pause and take a moment to show love to the stores that actually assemble items correctly...flg.

Peejus

Jul 8, 2016
Virginia
I always use the Red and tacky as well.
Yeah, the bikes coke in with grease, but it's not very good, and in my opinion, not very much, so I like to get in there and redo it all.
Seems that for all the complaints you hear about a box store bike, a little bit if tuning puts them right in line.

Radar00

Apr 28, 2016
PA
youtube or just search the forum. But in reality you can do it when you install your rag joint/sprocket. Since you have to partially undo the hub anyways to fit the joint on you can just completely undo it and make sure there is adequate grease in the hub