How to make custom gas tanks...

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle Welding, Fabrication and Paintin' started by allen_okc, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Tim_B_172

Tim_B_172 New Member

I just got done finishing my aforementioned metal tank with duplicolor for a base coat and Lustrekote clear on top of that and it worked out great. The two paints are compatible, and it cured to a nice hard and very shiny finish. I didn't notice any yellowing, but with the cream color that I'm using it would be hard to tell anyway.

2. darkhawk22

darkhawk22 New Member

I'm building a tank out of PVC right now. I'll know more on how it holds up after I get the outlet fitting mounted.

3. Allen_Wrench

Allen_Wrench Resident Mad Scientist

What if you like that orange-peel effect, or the artistic crazing and crackling? :)

4. WildAlaskan

WildAlaskan New Member

i made a tank out of a nos energy drink bottle i took a extra lid drilled a hole in it inserted tube and used a bunch of tape as a sealer didnt hold up long but was interesting oh i hung it upside down from the handle bar

i know not exactly what you looking for but yeah

5. paul

paul Active Member

very very nice work guys. you bring motorized bicycles to a whole new level!

6. kipharley

kipharley New Member

I cleared over a faux engine turned look on a sporster tank 30 years ago,It looked cool for a while then it started to rust under the clear.
    I figured because it wasn't primered.Haven't tried it since.
    With all the newer clears now it might work!
    Has any one had a cleared over raw metal paint job for any length of time?Kip.
    [email protected]

7. dv8cam

dv8cam New Member

WHat do you charge to make a custom tank for a stretch cruiser?

8. MarkSumpter

MarkSumpter New Member

I have heard different things about layup plies in fiberglass tanks reacting to ethanol blends. Not sure if pre-lining them with ethanol safe 2 part helps. Anyone else have any info?

I just ordered a filler neck as I said in this thread and will start making a 2 part mold soon to try one. Hopefully I have my camera back to document the layup.

9. Fulltimer

Fulltimer New Member

What do you guys use for the cap and the piece the gas cap screws onto?

Terry

10. MarkSumpter

MarkSumpter New Member

this is what I just ordered

Aluminum Neck with Flange and Cap

11. Fulltimer

Fulltimer New Member

That would work great if it was made of steel. The guy that is building my tank can't weld aluminum. He is checking today with a place that has junked motorcycles. But, thanks for the suggestion.

Terry

12. MarkSumpter

MarkSumpter New Member

Google "filler tube and vented caps" they are available in steel also just without the flange like the one I ordered has that I need for a fiberglass layup. See the previous post I made above linking to the other tank thread as there is a link in it for some vented bung caps there too.

#32 MarkSumpter, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  13. Hammond Egger

Hammond Egger New Member

I guess I'm going to have to look into this I've been looking for a different tank than comes with the kit for my stingray chopper build but I'd like to pay less for it than I did my bike, motor and all the options and accessories combined.

14. MarkSumpter

MarkSumpter New Member

Yea Hammond the custom tanks are a bit pricey but if you consider what is entailed in their construction and materials you will see why they are as expensive as they are. I will be be starting one as a trial in the next couple of weeks. I have decided I will do a hybrid aluminum and fiberglass tank for the first try and see how it comes out. I will do my best to document the steps and frustrations as they arise.

On a side not check your inbox I sent you a logo I did some time back for a restaurant with your moniker as their name...

15. Hammond Egger

Hammond Egger New Member

16. MarkSumpter

MarkSumpter New Member

I am also semi (cough) retired LOL... I like more rounded shapes than most applications can deliver in sheet metal without a powered forming hammer so that is the reason I am thinking of a rolled and broke aluminum top member for my tank with a set of concave laid up sides to mate to it out of fiberglass for the sides and then bond those to the tank top and bottom.

Have fun and keep me apprised on your progress you sound like you and your friend got it going on...

#36 MarkSumpter, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  17. Hammond Egger

Hammond Egger New Member

I generally prefer the rounded style tanks too but this is a chopper so it's either a mini keg behind the seat or a coffin on the top tube.

18. ruppster

ruppster New Member

I remembered reading some where that aluminum and fiberglass don't bond well together because aluminum oxidizes within seconds of being cleaned. It may have been from a boat repair book so it might have been for structural applications. It might be fine for a gas tank but You won't know until you try!

19. MarkSumpter

MarkSumpter New Member

Hey Rupp one of the tricks to bonding to aluminum is to make sure it is freshly cleaned just prior to bonding and making sure it is well roughed up before applying the epoxy. I also punch or drill alot of holes around the edge of the surface I am bonding to to make sure the epoxy gets to the layer below the metal and that helps to keep the plies from separating. I know for sure I will be doing this around the filler cap on the flange to make sure it doesn't have a chance to separate and spin in between the layers from repeatedly taking the cap on and off...

20. fishguts

fishguts New Member

Here's an epoxy/'glass tank I just finished (except painted side panels). It has aluminum filler bungs epoxied in place, notched to resist turning. Painted/antiqued copper finish with painted solder joints. Epoxy deteriorates in ethanol fuels so if I was using gas (this is a water tank for a steam bike), I would line it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#40 fishguts, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010