How to Booklet

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Some of you know that it has been my plan all along to write a, "How to build a motorbike from scratch for dummies" booklet. Well it's raining today so I started it.

I am always looking for advice so let me run this by you.

I am going with the idea that all parts have to be available at the Home Depot. No welding since the average guy can't weld. Everything has to be pretty much off the shelf with simple modifications, using simple hand tools which most people have. I know that is hard for most people here to grasp, since most of you have better skills than my booklet will call for.

The build itself with concentrate on:
Bicycle modifications to accept the engine.
Engine preparations.
Building the engine mount.
Mounting the engine and controls.
and a lot of warnings about the use of motorized bikes.

So what else does it need.
Oh yeah lots and lots of pictures

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Yes I am going to do that in the operators info section. Mostly though its just mix the gas, Check the nuts for tight once a week or so, empty the gas out if you don't plan to ride it over the winter. Run the carb dry, that kind of thing. I chose the weed whacker so that they could carry it to the small engine shop for any real engine work.

For filling and emptying the gas tank I'm going with buy yourself a turkey baster.

gasequoia

Aug 11, 2008
Am instrested in the book--just finished reading all 15 on Nam--Help me out here-- Bought a kit {80cc} China from boysgofast and cannot get to fire. Am getting fire and fuel-- Lots of compression--Hasn't hit first time

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have that kit. I'm not really qualified to help but there are a couple of things that can be happening.

most likely is an air leak in the intake manifold. If you have checked that the magneto key may be loose causing it to spark before the compression is right. There are plenty of other things but I'm not that good at these things. Not even trying to start makes me wonder about the clutch as well. Some of the guys had it slipping to the point that the engine wasn't turning fast enough.

Some of the others here are a lot more qualified than me. Try norman or bike guy joe, they can give you much better advice.

The truly wise man knows when to pass the ball.

Radmanfly

Jul 28, 2008
Oswego, NY
www.farleysradiator.com
a contribution to your book:

Guide to Roller Chain

There were many different manufacturers of minibikes back in the 60's and 70's but most of them used one of three different size roller chain. You may see chain size referred by what pitch is has. The pitch is simply the distance from pin center to pin center. If you need new chain and your having difficulty determining the correct size that you need. Here's some information that may be helpful.

Number 35 Chain: Pitch = 3/8" | Roller diameter = 3/16" | Roller width = 3/16" | Pin diameter = 1/8" | Tensile = 2,100

Number 41 Chain: Pitch = 1/2" | Roller diameter = 5/16" | Roller width = 1/4" | Pin diameter = 1/8" | Tensile = 2,000

Number 40 Chain: Pitch = 1/2" | Roller diameter = 5/16" | Roller width = 5/16" | Pin diameter = 5/32" | Tensile = 3,700

Number 35 was uses on most all 4-5-6 inch wheel minibikes while 41 was used on larger minicycles such as Rupp Roadster II and Speedway. Number 41 chain will not run on a number 40 sprocket. Number 40 chain will run on a number 41 sprocket but it will be wider than needed. (Like many china bikes!)

SPACE CHAIN

Space chain is handy if you have sprockets that don't align properly. On space chain the outer links are just a bit wider so there is a small space between the inner and outer links. This space allows the chain to flex side to side much more than standard roller chain and will not run off the sprockets as easily. Although space chain is available in most sizes it is usually not a stock item and may be a special order.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Thanks but the booklet is just about how to add a weed whacker friction drive to the front wheel. Not an all purpose motor bike how to. I am far from qualified to do that. Some of the other guys should though.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Sounds like you're doing great Deacon. Have you given thought to your cover art ? It's the first impression people will have of all your hard work and effort and it will intrigue them to pick it up off the shelf and look thru it.

For your photos & illustrations, consider a little reflection back to earlier times for a historic perspective. Old photos of young boys (you know the kind like you see in the Lindsay's books where they are working wearing white shirts and ties as was shown in the old days) This may pursuade an older adult who would buy if for a youngster that it may have some instructional value opposed to let the kid make something that he'll hurt himself on. Boys built these in the days when men were men. If you have some photos of girls involved with such a project and riding these......that adds dimension of the books appeal.

I would encourage you to consider self publishing in this venture. There are loads of vanity presses who will publish these books for you paid up front. You will need to be selling and marketing these then. Nothing would help to assist that than going on the road on your bike and selling (signed) copies at county fairs, October Fest, and the like. You could travel with the bike in the back of the Pickup truck and set up your bike as a display and ride it showing it off at these places. A web site printed on a business card with your name
would be good to distribute also.

I've attended some writers seminars myself and met a few people who were suprisingly successful at this. One woman compiled heirloom cookbook recipes
and worked out of a stationwagon often sleeping in a tent at state and national parks.

You may even consider a page of links to resources on the net, and a link to a blog where you take some trips on your bike to fish, to go sight seeing, and so forth. (this could link your book on bikes to your writing interest)

Think "viral marketing" !

Just my thoughts in brief.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It's just the instructions now. I might really do something though later. I am thinking half naked blond lol... I would love to see this go out to get more people interested in this hobby. Especially the alternate engine type bikes.

In my mind they have the greatest potential. There are so many engines out there that will do a reasonably good job and are inexpensive.

I don't know how good it is yet but I just bought a 42cc chainsaw engine on ebay that is supposed to run for 35bucks delivered. Add a ten dollar bike and thirty worth of mounting hardware and you should have a strong running bike for peanuts.

I am afraid that the people who need it most lack the skills to do even this simple build. Then again I will know more when the bike is out there awhile.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I think the interest might be over lol.... Who knows let me see so far it is running about 60% CD the ohters I just attach as email attachments. That seems to work for now. If it gets to be a pain I will definitely take you up on it.

gasequoia

Aug 11, 2008
Still with you--cannot figure out how to post new thread-- sorta stupid I know-- finally got 80cc running--also bought 4 cycle rear tire roller kit and put on bike--like it a lot but wears out tires to quick. Tell me how to start new thread. Thanks

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Still with you--cannot figure out how to post new thread-- sorta stupid I know-- finally got 80cc running--also bought 4 cycle rear tire roller kit and put on bike--like it a lot but wears out tires to quick. Tell me how to start new thread. Thanks
Just as Deacon says......

Once you have clicked on the forum that you would like to start a new thread....On the upper left you will see a bronze or gold sprocket that say's "New Thread".... Click on that and enter the headline of your thread and then begin typing.

:ride:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well I figured when I sell a hundred, or when the interest disappears, the booklet becomes free. Believe it or not the darn things keeps selling one or two a week. All the feedback has been great. I copied Bikeguy Joe's comment into the body of the adv and it has a plug for this forum. So maybe when the buyers start building their bikes, we will see them on here. I hope so.

Maybe I should do one on the rear mounted chainsaw engine as well. Or just buy a bigger chainsaw engine and tell my wife it is for a new book. The 42cc is great I wonder if I can find a 50cc somewhere.