• I rarely wear a helmet when riding

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I just man it without one on

Votes: 22 11.1%

• Total voters

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I was watching a guy on a motor bike ride up to a hospital. He locked up his bike an went inside. He was not wearing a helmet. Something might be a bit strange, cause you might think he was headed in the right direction since he was not wearing a helmet.

OK one does not negate the other.

Reactions: Dan

Yang07

Aug 22, 2021
Do you know how long the life of a bicycle helmet is? It's about 3-5 years. That's so gratifying, but I think you should change your helmet after a collision to ensure your safety when traveling on the road. Because the foam inside the helmet is designed to be used only once, an impact, no matter how strong or light, can weaken the helmet's foam lining. Or after a hard drop on the surface, there may be some cracks and damage that you cannot see, but this reduces the effectiveness of your helmet in the future.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I've always told people helmets are only for cyclist who have brains worth protecting; idiots don't need helmets. True cyclist don't see helmetless riders as being cool; we see them as being stupid. Nearly 2/3 of cycling accidents are from falls and don't involve any contact with another vehicle, pedestrian, animal or object.

SirLurksAlot

Aug 20, 2021
Always. I got clipped by a car that was making a left turn from the oncoming lane, about 45yrs ago on my Harley CRTT Sprint - landed head-first on the curb. Shattered the shell of my Bell Star helmet. I came-to standing in the intersection, facing a very frustrated cop with words coming out of my mouth and no clue what had happened and no clue what I was saying... Cop said I'd been in an accident and talking gibberish for 10 minutes. Took almost a year to fully recover from the concussion...

I tend to think of helmet-less riding as an example of retroactive birth-control and/or evolution in action, ever since.

Yang07

Aug 22, 2021
Do you know how long the life of a bicycle helmet last? It's about 3-5 years. That's so gratifying, but I think you should change your helmet after a collision to ensure your safety when traveling on the road. Because the foam inside the helmet is designed to be used only once, an impact, no matter how strong or light, can weaken the helmet's foam lining. Or after a hard drop on the surface, there may be some cracks and damage that you cannot see, but this reduces the effectiveness of your helmet in the future.
Bike helmets are specifically designed to absorb single impact. In case of a crash and deterioration, it is important to replace your headgear immediately. Aside from that, you should consider other factors like years of usage and environmental exposures. Thus, it is ideal to replace them every three to five years.

Reactions: Sidewinder Jerry