how much weight can a 49cc take before blowing the shaft off?

GoldenMotor.com

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
Back again, I keep getting robbed by the misses automobile so I'm still yet to install a new engine on my old chopper can these engines pull 200 lbs or will it need some assistance?

Thinking going dual motors as it doesn't increase power just makes more torque, if I can I'd do one electric belt driven motor and one

Also what's the best brand weed eaters right now going for atleast 50.00 kits are out of the question, as of now I'm on my way to the junkyard to pull the wife a starter 》,》 .xx.

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
So you're asking for a 49cc weed eater?
IN regards to brands that is i think I will go dual motors I just need to know what brand is dependable, if I knew a chainsaw or weed eater guy that would float the boat better I am thinking of a new quick paint scheme as well.

I know that bolens is OUT THE QUESTION seeing lami my first build friction drive threw the shaft. Spun right off.

No weight 25 cc is not what i want in any form but it will be 2 wheel drive front friction rear chain driven, dual throttles. Front motor would be for down hill speed rear would be for uphilling, double kill switches would be nice too. 1 ez bicycle shifter would be all it requires remove the double clicker run two wires together

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Don't poop on the bolens, it's not their fault you put 1000x the stress on the crankshaft that it was designed for! If you want to do a friction drive, do it right and copy the Staton kit model. It has bearings on both sides of the roller, so stress on the crankshaft is non-existent. Well, the excessive radial stress, that is.

Anyway, you may get lucky finding a 4 stroke weedeater, but your best bet for a non-kit (or did you really mean that you just don't want kids?) engine is probably a chain saw. I used a Poulan 42cc once. The engine was good, but the drive system had some bugs, but it worked well in the end. Maybe a Husqvarna chain saw or a Stihl would work. They're pretty decent quality, but you'll pay more for the brand. Really, it boils down to getting a large enough engine. In all reality, you probably won't find a weedeater engine big enough for your needs.

Take a look at this one:

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=45545

I pretty much copied the idea of supporting the roller with a bearing on each side from the Staton kit, but I used a couple of kid's bike sprockets to drive the roller with a chain. I had to tack weld one on the back of the chain saw clutch. Everything was either found in a dumpster or bought at lowes. The metal bracket that holds the roller was found in the lumber section. I drilled the holes out to accept 1-1/8" flanged bearings, and used a piece of thread rod as the axle. The roller is a bike peg with a fender washer welded on one side. It gave me a couple issues like the rack twisting and the carb not wanting to work, but I resolved them and had fun with it!

Last edited:

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
Don't poop on the bolens, it's not their fault you put 1000x the stress on the crankshaft that it was designed for! If you want to do a friction drive, do it right and copy the Staton kit model. It has bearings on both sides of the roller, so stress on the crankshaft is non-existent. Well, the excessive radial stress, that is.

Anyway, you may get lucky finding a 4 stroke weedeater, but your best bet for a non-kit (or did you really mean that you just don't want kids?) engine is probably a chain saw. I used a Poulan 42cc once. The engine was good, but the drive system had some bugs, but it worked well in the end. Maybe a Husqvarna chain saw or a Stihl would work. They're pretty decent quality, but you'll pay more for the brand. Really, it boils down to getting a large enough engine. In all reality, you probably won't find a weedeater engine big enough for your needs.

Take a look at this one:

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=45545

I pretty much copied the idea of supporting the roller with a bearing on each side from the Staton kit, but I used a couple of kid's bike sprockets to drive the roller with a chain. I had to tack weld one on the back of the chain saw clutch. Everything was either found in a dumpster or bought at lowes. The metal bracket that holds the roller was found in the lumber section. I drilled the holes out to accept 1-1/8" flanged bearings, and used a piece of thread rod as the axle. The roller is a bike peg with a fender washer welded on one side. It gave me a couple issues like the rack twisting and the carb not wanting to work, but I resolved them and had fun with it!

I want a direct drive system, friction not my thang, I'm thinking Stihl by the way because we have a lot of dealerships, so in the event of a brake down in a older rig I can toss the motor in the shop besides I here the new two strokes are sealed systems once it's blown it's just blown, a nice 2 smoker would be fine rather give a crook a chance to blow the engine out before getting to far, my old bolens cost me $50.00 brand new the other option just available is the ebay pocket bike engine and transmission it's simular to the motor that just came off my bike just a hint smaller.

Edit:

How about this motor more like what I need, but for best price

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/181116...3D711-198453-24755-9%26rvr_id%3D1109113757447

Last edited: