how Ingenius are you? test one...

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
You are planning a long camping trip on your bike over a large area. A few days in each park then on to the next park or private campground. Each new place is no more than a day's ride. You obviously can't carry everything you need on your bike. So how do you arrange it.

No you can't stay in cheap motels and eat out every meal, but you can do that now and then of course.

Just to help you out...State parks have water and sewer available even in the primitive areas. Most places also sell fire wood or charcoal at the campground. Some have small dry goods stores, almost all have a private store of some kind a few miles from the park. Those are most often like a slightly larger then usual convenience store.

Also to make it easier, it is summer and the weather is 60 at night and 80 in the daytime. Rain now and then but not too much.

I have worked out my answers lets see yours..

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC
As I make my schedule I would mail packages to the post office closest to where I plan to visit. You can request that packages be held there for you, so long as you pick it up within a few days of its arrival. Food, spare parts, Imodium, etc.

Besides that, I'd be sure to bring lots of duct tape, zip ties and bailing wire to keep my bike in one piece:)

Emergency parts can be overnighted as needed.

Are you planning a motorbike vacation Deacon? I'd like to bike the Lewis and Clark route from St. Louis to the Pacific.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I wish...

I'm writing my blog about a fictional bike trip. That was my first plan. But for that plan to work You have to have two sets of camping gear. Because if you break camp mail or ship your gear ahead to the next site you will get there days before your gear.

You would need to leap frog it.

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC
Yeah, I travel very light...pack a very small tent and blanket on my bike tied to handlebars. While my method doesn't require two sets of gear, it does mean sleeping on the hard ground and freezing your *** off at night.

It is good to know about the facilities available at state/national parks. Potable water wells are a godsend. It really is tough if you have to haul your own water...believe me.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I'm working on the adapt and improvise method of camping. In this next bit of the blog will be my shelter plan. I think you will approve... Don't want to give it away too soon. It should be up tomorrow. Today's blurb gives a kind of hint but tomorrow has the real meat of it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
good come over and see what you think if you like it take advantage of the free novels I give away. I can set you up a huge cd to burn download.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
okay since tomorrow it hits the blog anyway. I'm thinking those reinforced plastic bags. The ones with rip stop. Cut three down the sides and a little contact cement to attach them to make a shelter. Or you could use them along with a cheap blanket bought on the trip as a sleeping bag. One in tack for the bottom cover and one with the bottom cut out as a shell for the top op half of your body. The plastic would keep the heat from your body in and the damp out,

You could also fill two of them with leaves and other soft things to make a mattress. when you leave, you just leave it all behind except for the blanket. In my case it won't even be a blanket.

Bank card of course, cell phone as well, everything else you could buy and transport to the campsite and then just walk away from. Food for one day at a time ect. We all love to ride and show off the bikes so making more than one trip for supplies would be no big thing.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I think you could pack most all you'd need in one of those boy scout type backpacks that have a tent/sleeping bag/swiss army knife/ect.

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC
The sleeping bags I've seen are too cumbersome...I really like the idea of making a mattress from trash bags and leaves. Anything beats sleeping on the ground like I usually do.

Bank cards are as useful as a swiss army knife these days. IT may not be the brightest move, but I prefer to leave my cell phone at home so I can really get away. Plus, they generally don't get much reception on my out of the way trips.

Great blog Deacon. I just read the entire week's posts. Are you sure you aren't really experiencing the posts in your blog? :ride:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
In today's blog I described a portable cook stove that will heat with a minimum of fuel. It will burn anything as well. Now I'm sure no one wants to know, but I'll tell you the origin anyway. When I was in what is now middle school we had a one week field trip. During the one week we had to cook one meal outdoors. The school cafeteria saved us all their one gallon green bean (ect) cans.

Every kid got a can. We made to cuts in the opened end. When we pushed the flap in we had a little place to add fuel. The we used a beer opener to make three smoke holes at the backside top end of the can. It made a daddy little stove. I remember cooking a hamburger on it using only twigs as fuel.

See everything comes in handy sometime or another.

bravofire84

Feb 13, 2008
would pack spare parts kits med kit food gun n ammo tent air mattress fishing tools emer. radio. 1gl. of fuel just incase

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
you know I never thought of those. That is an excellent suggestion. How does one go about finding them. I had heard from the first gulfwar that with enough texas pete (made a few miles from me) that they weren't half bad. I'll have to google a source and try some just to see for myself how they taste.

thanks.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
they are actually really good. i tried a few last year. i got mine from a freind in the air national guard