How Fast Can You STOP?

GoldenMotor.com

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
I got a magnet... You can get vanity imbossed plates and the wheaties cereal ones because in new Mexico it's concidered a bicycle... Light at night if you feel like it required...
You mean like the NM Plate Damien has go on his bike, Pretty sure it's required
You too can have a NM plate on your bike, That's if ya ever finish building your bike LOL
DSCF8891.JPG

Last edited:

MotorizedBikeRider

Sep 19, 2022
Cottage Grove, OR
Here are some photos of my rear brake upgrade on my m-bike:

I could not use existing disc brake on rear with with disc brake in place, so replace it with a caliper brake. Braking performance was not adequate, so I decided to upgrade to cantilever brake type. I saw an adapter online, but it was $77, so decided to make the adapter. I had some scrap cutoff aluminum, 3/4" thick, so I sued it. I simply drew the design on the metal freehand and used my bandsaw to cut the piece, then drilled and tapped the holes for the bosses. Temporarily I am using zip ties to hold bottom fingers onto frame, but will make something more solid soon.

Braking power is extraordinarily good. I can lock up the wheel if I want to. Thousand times better than caliper brakes, and as good performance as disc brake.

AxleDrive-20220919-8.JPG
AxleDrive-20220919-7.JPG
AxleDrive-20220919-11.JPG

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Here are some photos of my rear brake upgrade on my m-bike:

I could not use existing disc brake on rear with with disc brake in place, so replace it with a caliper brake. Braking performance was not adequate, so I decided to upgrade to cantilever brake type. I saw an adapter online, but it was $77, so decided to make the adapter. I had some scrap cutoff aluminum, 3/4" thick, so I sued it. I simply drew the design on the metal freehand and used my bandsaw to cut the piece, then drilled and tapped the holes for the bosses. Temporarily I am using zip ties to hold bottom fingers onto frame, but will make something more solid soon.

Braking power is extraordinarily good. I can lock up the wheel if I want to. Thousand times better than caliper brakes, and as good performance as disc brake.

View attachment 111443 View attachment 111444 View attachment 111445
The only problem guys have with rim brakes on M/B is
Stopping at higher M/B speeds The pads can over heat the rear wheel.
What happens is the heat from the rim heats the air in the tire increasing the PSI then the tube blow,
Yes this happens and many have talked about it.
What seems to be the most common is Stopping going fast down steep hills

Reactions: MotorizedBikeRider

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
What happens is the heat from the rim heats the air in the tire increasing the PSI then the tube blow,
This is where I teach people about Bump Braking. Coming down super steep hills even discs might not stop you in time once your speed gets so high. There are steep grade hills in Harriman several blocks long with a STOP sign at the bottom of the hill. So you bump the brakes and never allow yourself to go faster than 10 mph. I've done this with rim brakes also.

Reactions: MotorizedBikeRider

MotorizedBikeRider

Sep 19, 2022
Cottage Grove, OR
Very interesting. I did not know that. Thanks for sharing this. I'll keep it in mind. For that situation, if you know you're going to heat up the tire, maybe run a bit lower tire pressure. Also one might use thicker thorn resistant tubes, that might withstand the higher heat and pressure.

Most of the time I'm traveling 20 - 25mpg outside of town and on country roads. I'm about 4.5 miles outside of town, so it's just moving along and no stopping. There are a few mild hills. In city limits I go about 15 or 16mpg, always with my fingers on the brake levers ready to stop. So no worries about overheating pads or rims or popping tubes.

MotorizedBikeRider

Sep 19, 2022
Cottage Grove, OR
This is where I teach people about Bump Braking. Coming down super steep hills even discs might not stop you in time once your speed gets so high. There are steep grade hills in Harriman several blocks long with a STOP sign at the bottom of the hill. So you bump the brakes and never allow yourself to go faster than 10 mph. I've done this with rim brakes also.
Same thing goes for driving any vehicle, not just m bikes. On mountain roads sometimes people ride the brakes non-stop for mile after mile. You'll see smoking brakes, and smell them. I was taught to brake, let off, brake, let off, etc, so brakes do not overheat. Slowing down incrementally, as you say.

Reactions: Sidewinder Jerry

Mossy

May 20, 2022
My old dump truck would be doing 1 mph just crowning a hill 80mph at the bottom and 1mph up over the next... If I was to do the posted speed limit I would burn up all my brakes and be rolling backwards down the gully... Loaded with fire wood / hay / scrap... If I was doing 40 when I hit the gully it would be parts scattered for about a mile... The Oldsmobile wagon could do 100 and at the bottom ground out bust the shocks and pull the front end off the ground coming out of the same gully... Then about 3 miles to slow down to the speed limit... ;)

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Are you talking a controlled non injury stop? Cuz I had some mother flicker cut me off and I met his bumper and I stopped hella quick. Like WHAP! I think I might have set a record.
In my world I look for possible situations that could lead up to this and slow down or stop and let the people pass avoiding it... If I'm going with the flow of traffic people pass a bike not realizing how fast your going and turn into you... There's a blind drive that I always slow down for just in case there's a car coming... I've wasted time slowing down 1000's of times for no car but the one time I don't it's there fault but I'll be hurt so I ride on the out side of those blind drives to give myself as much buffer as possible also... If I get hit it's because they tried to hit me or I let my gaurd down and got complacent... Can't ride like your driving a truck with a brush gaurd sitting up high where everyone can see you and judge your speed...

Attachments