how cold before the bike doesn't start?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Mike Hunt, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Bikeguy Joe

Bikeguy Joe Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

A cold seizure can happen at any temp. It happens when you run up a two stroke too soon after starting and the piston skirt has begun to expand faster then the rest of the engine .

Jetting richer (or at least move the C clip down a notch or so) is the way to go for cold riding.

2. matt167

matt167 New Member

they also get tight from sitting in the cold.. ever try to start a weedeater in the winter? there usually locked solid

3. Bikeguy Joe

Bikeguy Joe Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

Now I have something to look forward to this winter...

4. Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt New Member

ok i tried giving it a 1 second shot of primer plus half choke, it popped a little bit at first but refused to start for another 100 meters. should i be giving it more primer?

5. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

just wondering, what the heck kinda weeds are growing around you in the winter?

6. bandito

bandito New Member

It was 24 deg the other night and I pulled 1 time on the honda to see whats up, started on the 1st pull. Only thing that really bothered me was my face freezing and my hands. I only rode about 2 miles to a 7-11 and back, I have thicker winter gloves but I thought they would limit my use in using the controls so I used a thin pair of riding gloves. Next time thicker gloves are going on and I need a full face stocking cap. I have warm beanies but not the full face so thats 1 more thing I need.

7. BarelyAWake

BarelyAWake New Member

A lil tip I'm compelled to share despite it's obviousness...

Rain gear - specifically the pants, worn over yer woolies or sweat pants & jeans does an amazing job of keepin' the warm in.

It's already runnin' 31 °F/45 °F here, yet for my morning commute I jus throw on my wet weather gear o'er my regular work clothing and it stops the chill wind from cutting through me, but is easy to shed when I get to my workplace. Gloves are the same story :D

Gotta love the cheap and easy ;)

8. Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt New Member

where do you get this "quick-start" stuff? how well does it work?

9. bandito

bandito New Member

PO folks used to use gas in a squeeze bottle as quick start, kinda like an old ketchup bottle. 1 or 2 squirts down the throat and pray the volcano GODS stay asleep.

10. george_n_texas

george_n_texas New Member

If we see ya without eyebrows we'll know why

11. bandito

bandito New Member

Yea in the old days before fuel injection a fire extinguisher was a tool of the trade for me. I havnt used any fuel yet with this honda but with other lawn equipment Ive used a squirt bottle with gas for testing non running engines just to see if theyd fire up. Gets right to the point of where the problem lies.

12. george_n_texas

george_n_texas New Member

I've seen people use wd-40 as starter fluid...aerosol and lubricant in one spray.

13. FlyJSH

FlyJSH New Member

Soooo, I wonder if heated grips will run off the white wire ;)

14. Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt New Member

im getting better at starting the thing in the cold. the past couple of times i was priming it and half choking, and it wouldn't start until i was halfway to work and severely tired/winded. what i should have done is my regular method: no priming, full choke, pedal until it starts running on its own, choke off, rev it a couple times to warm it up, and off i go.

15. BarelyAWake

BarelyAWake New Member

It's funny the lil "starting rituals" some machines have, particularly the simpler engines with mechanical chokes. I've had quite a few vehicles that would start perfectly every time for me - yet no one else could manage it and just flood the poor thing. I've had to train a few people on the "complicated" starting procedures for some of my more unusual vehicles lol

Know yer ride's personality quirks and it'll respond with loyalty :D

16. bandito

bandito New Member

I used to have a chevy that needed 2 1/2 pumps and 3 hail marys to start her, if it wasnt exactly in that order she wasnt moving. It was a 72 vega and I drove it like that for a year and a half.