Honda Hobbit High revs then dies

GoldenMotor.com

VanHutchinson

Nov 13, 2012
Victoria, BC
This has recently happened to my '82 Hobbit were it will only idle with the choke on, and then quickly high rev and die with the choke off unless your giving it a bunch of gas. Is there a fix? I've taken it into a shop cleaned the carb twice, just put in a new crank so I highly doubt there is a leak in the crank case, cleaned the air box, got a new filter, a new spark plug. If anyone has any idea's it would be greatly appreciated!!

:-||

Matricon

Jul 18, 2012
Baltimore
Not experienced wih mopeds but it seems like its running very lean, probably a large air leak somewhere. Get it idling and then whip out a can of wd40 and spray it at suspect areas, intake manifold cylinder gasket , manifold carb joint etc. If the engine surges then you know you need to reseal that area.

Last edited:

VanHutchinson

Nov 13, 2012
Victoria, BC
Hey the seal's were recently checked by a shop the carb to everything looked fine to them there. I notice today gas spraying back up towards the gas cap at 3/4 throttle do you have any idea what this could be/what to do to fix it? still only idle's with choke on.

Thanks!!

:-||

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Take it back to the shop, if they worked on it and it still won't run then they did something wrong.
Only running with the choke on tells me you have it going way to lean with the choke off, so there's either a grossly wrong set up carb or a carb circuit plugged off, or a big air leak, either a gasket or a crank seal or a combo of both.

You also say there's a new crank shaft? Well there's where I'd check for an air leak, main seals and crank case split line.

Bottom line I don't know anything about a Honda Hobbit, I'm guessing it's a 2 stroke? If it's a 4 -stroke then there's other problems going on with it.