High altitude problems on new kit

GoldenMotor.com

TylerCO

May 17, 2019
Hi I'm new here and I just built my first bike motor kit. I am in Colorado at high altitude. I have the epa approved flying horse 66cc engine kit from bike berry. Com. It came with the "HP carburetor" starts great and runs good but I'm getting almost no power and acceleration and it bogs down if I'm going up any slight inclines. I know from seeing similar kits online that I should be able to get a lot more power from it. Is this due to the high altitude? Bike berry's website says that this carb has a fixed jet so it won't work in high altitude? Pls help. Thank you.

Degoragon

Apr 7, 2019
Does it have an adjustable needle on the slide? If so, try pulling the clip, and adjusting it a couple notches. This is assuming, of course you don't have the "Runtong" 15.5 mm Race Carburetor, which I think is a delorto clone.
The "Speed" and "NT" carbs have a needle on the slide you can adjust, and moving the needle should change the air/fuel mix.

TylerCO

May 17, 2019
No.. It's bikeberry's "High Performance" carburetor. They said it had a fixed jet needle. I just bought a NT carb.

RuskieTheInfidel

May 23, 2019
The ‘EPA approved’ is the first page in this motor, 2 strokes are not made to be ‘EPA approved’. These motors come with a fixed carb, you can’t adjust them. This thing has a catalytic converter I’m assuming? You need to take that off if so, run a regular intake and carb, it should run good after that! (No longer EPA approved) hope this helps.

TylerCO

May 17, 2019
I just got an NT carb instead... Well see how it runs with that. I don't think that little catalytic converter should make much difference... It's just a small metal filter thing attached to the exhaust. But then again, I don't know anything, this is my first build. But the bike is running great, no smoke and good sound from the motor, just no throttle power because of the carb that I can't jet.

TylerCO

May 17, 2019
Let me know what happens after installing NT carb please
Cool I will! I have another problem tho... My petcock broke, like the nut that attaches it to the gas tank is just popping off of the fixture to the petcock. Might have to order another one, but I'm afraid the same thing will happen to this cheap peice of garbage. Any ideas?

TylerCO

May 17, 2019
Yeah but it's impossible to get it back on whether the clip is in the nut or if it's around the other part. .

TylerCO

May 17, 2019
He's got a petcock with male threads on the end... My gas tank has male threads coming out of it that's why I have a female petcock.

TylerCO

May 17, 2019
OK, so I solved the petcock problem. Also, I got an NT carburetor for adjustable jetting. It's running way way better so far. Still needs some fine tuning. I also got a long offset intake manifold thinking that would help boost power and acceleration, which it does a little bit. So now I am at the point where I want to fine tune this carb. I tried all the jet needle clip settings, and I think I have it on the middle one now. What else would you recommend for tuning this for high altitude to max out power and acceleration and speed? Do I need to buy new jet needles?

Skyler

Jul 14, 2019
Colorado Springs
I know it's probably a little late but you can re jet the HP carb from bikeberry. You can get new Jets from bikeberry for 5.99. I would recommend the .61-.65mm. I too am in Colorado and running the same base motor (silver angel fire) currently at a .63 but I'm running the HP carb and expansion chamber and high compression head. They also help around this time of year when it's cooler out.