Hidey Ho!

GoldenMotor.com

dumpydoodoo

Apr 9, 2023
Midwest
Good morning!

Newbie to motorized bicycles but not bicycles or motorcycles. I have the obligatory 66/88cc motor, bought the reed intake, did mild port/polish, bought a balanced crank, bought the pocket bike front brakes/adapter, upgraded clutch, and am going to use a dropper seatpost lever for a rear brake lever (mechanical rear versus hydraulic pocketbike front brake). I am hoping to use this project as a viable alternate mode of transportation one day per week as we're down to one car.

Some may ask why I have delved full hog into a hobby I have merely begun. I have been working on this project for a couple of years. After much research, I have found it's better to start with the upgrades people make not far into their journey. The brake upgrade I am going to do was a Smolik performance upgrade. I have done a fair bit of research. I may end up regretting using a seat post dropper lever for a rear brake, but knowing how little I rely on rear brakes whether I ride my bicycles or motorcycles, this could be a good way to have rear brakes and have a good clutch lever. If anyone has tried my configuration, let me know.

I hope I am not a heathen here! I have gotten great information from this forum thus far!

Reactions: fasteddy

dumpydoodoo

Apr 9, 2023
Midwest
How about some pics of your configuration
Of course!

I am waiting on some of the parts. Front brake is here; just ordered the adapter and top hat and rotor. Waiting on the clutch and balanced crank. I will see if I bothered to photograph my frame after being powder coated. I did that two years back.

I have pix of the motor in process.

Attachments

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Hi, & welcome to the forum.

My main suggestion for you would be to skip the engine modifications for now & keep the engine 100% stock until you work out all the 'bugs' in the bike & you're sure it's a reliable rider that won't leave you stranded on your way to work.

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Here's the Honda Dio to kx 65 to G2 reed... The adapter is from treatland ' piston port'n more 38mm... The gasket is from 40 mm G2.. the metal reed that's just a hair too big is kx65... The spacer is for kx65... A mm here and there and I can have lot of different possibilities and put it on any 40mm cylinder or any cylinder if I close the holes and tap them out... I'm going to use the spacer for fabrication of a flange out of JB weld to fit the kx to the G2... But at this point I'm just collecting parts for when that day comes...
Like Venice motors says keep it stock until my/you're skills catch up with the dreams... I'm unique in having an inventory of future stuff I want to try... It's a gamble none of it will work but I'm new to motorized bicycle and want to use dirt bike stuff I'm used to being around... KTM sx65 pipe and flange for the exaust side... Nothing is bolt on and will need extensive fabrication to pull off...

Attachments

dumpydoodoo

Apr 9, 2023
Midwest
Hi, & welcome to the forum.

My main suggestion for you would be to skip the engine modifications for now & keep the engine 100% stock until you work out all the 'bugs' in the bike & you're sure it's a reliable rider that won't leave you stranded on your way to work.
I understand where what you're saying comes from. I am experienced as a bicycle mechanic and motorcycle mechanic. I am going to enlist the help of a chainsaw mechanic in this endeavor. I do have some knowledge in two strokes, but my buddy knows this style of engine inside and out, and has built a few examples. I am essentially setting this bike up like a track bike for a rider like Shaq. I probably should have ran a bone stock, no mods motor, but my inner Tim the Toolman can't help himself LOL

Reactions: fasteddy and Mossy

dumpydoodoo

Apr 9, 2023
Midwest
Here's the Honda Dio to kx 65 to G2 reed... The adapter is from treatland ' piston port'n more 38mm... The gasket is from 40 mm G2.. the metal reed that's just a hair too big is kx65... The spacer is for kx65... A mm here and there and I can have lot of different possibilities and put it on any 40mm cylinder or any cylinder if I close the holes and tap them out... I'm going to use the spacer for fabrication of a flange out of JB weld to fit the kx to the G2... But at this point I'm just collecting parts for when that day comes...
Like Venice motors says keep it stock until my/you're skills catch up with the dreams... I'm unique in having an inventory of future stuff I want to try... It's a gamble none of it will work but I'm new to motorized bicycle and want to use dirt bike stuff I'm used to being around... KTM sx65 pipe and flange for the exaust side... Nothing is bolt on and will need extensive fabrication to pull off...
For certain!

When I built my first composite bicycle frame, I had built quite a few small parts, sold them to a few followers, then went head-first into building frame sets. First, I built wrapped composites, then clamshell builds, then clamshell with foam cores. I made a crum ton of mistakes along the way. Thankfully, I was on my 75th example of a wrapped core frame before taking it on the road the first time, as I had the good sense to test to destruction 74 other times before figuring out where the plies needed to go ;) That helped on my original clamshell mold-built frame, then helped with my expanding foam core frame.

I now, through several means, have many cylinders to make work. I am going to crack the crank case open just because I don't trust it to be clean from the factory; heck- they painted over so many items! Gah!

Reactions: fasteddy and Mossy

Mossy

May 20, 2022
I've started to organize my spare room full of stuff to move into storage... I could literally follow the threads and build every 2 stroke combination 66/110cc with spares... I have dedicated the last few years to just parts... No building bikes... I've moved and am remodeling my place so it keeps me active thinking and studying about everything... I've been waiting for parts to become available also... I don't know what I have at this point but it's a lot of stuff to use after I get the tools put together and figure it out...

Attachments

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
@wrench Here is the lever. I may find it to be useless for the purpose I am thinking of, but that is what trial and error is for:
View attachment 113030
OK now I understand, Brake lever

While some have just mounted an extra brake lever on the left or mounted a Duel brake lever on the right,
If you like what your using and it works good for you, then it's a sucess

Last edited:
Reactions: fasteddy