Hi from New Zealand

GoldenMotor.com

Beetle Bomb

Jun 19, 2008
Christchurch, New Zealand
Hi Guys

Great forum with lots of great info.

A little bit about me – I’m into RC Planes (26cc – 80cc) and Motorcycles (650cc & 1000cc) and the fuel prices these days got me looking for ways to save money. I thought about cycling to work, but at 7 miles each way or 3300 miles per year that sounded like too much effort. Soooooo …

I bought a 66cc engine to fit to my Marin Nail Trail MTB thinking that the Marin would be ideal with its hydraulic disc brakes to slow it down nicely, but alas I hadn’t considered that the new sprocket needed to take over the spot inhabited by the rear disc.

Oh well, plan B, I bought a GT Aggressor MTB and am in the process of fitting the engine to that. I’ve been at it for 8 days so far (only a couple of hours a day mostly) and am thoroughly enjoying myself. Lots of problems along the way, but that’s half of the fun - coming up with the solutions. The main issue I’ve got is fitting the carb into a space that’s too small for it – I should’ve bought a bike with a bigger frame. Never mind I’ll get there. I’ve been taking photos as I’ve been going to put up here, so I’ll do a proper write up with pics when it’s done. I just thought I’d hop on and let you know I’ve been reading your words of wisdom, and thanks for all the great posts.

In the meantime, here’s a pic of where I’m at so far …

Attachments

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Welcome!

A few people here have fitted up carbs in interesting ways. You could always "remotely mount" it with a piece of silicone tubing....

I fly R/C too. Been flying an electric heli lately.

Beetle Bomb

Jun 19, 2008
Thanks guys. I've got a few ideas to try that I got from here. My 1st attempt was to modify a couple of brass plumbing fittings which was perfect ... until I refitted the front sprocket cover and found the clutch actuating arm and nut fouled the carb float bowl. I have a length of car heater hose and a copper 90deg plumbing fitting to play with next.

Here's a pic of the fitting I made, with the carb on and a pic with the sprocket cover on, but no carb.

Attachments

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
welcome to the site. that black motor on a black bicycle is awesome looking. i am sure you will figure out the carburetor. that is part of the fun of these. making it our own little creations with the modifications to make them work for what we want and need. glad to have you with us. by the way your camera takes great pictures

Beetle Bomb

Jun 19, 2008
Hi all

I was out for a ride today and it occurred to me that I never put a post on here showing the completion of the bike. The 1st pic is when it was 1st completed last year dance1 2nd pic is a week or so later taken from the end of a pier looking back to shore - I got a few funny looks riding down the pier and back reddd and the 3rd pic was taken today .rd.

I've acquired an angle grinder and a mig welder since I built that bike and have been thinking maybe I might build something a little more radical like a chopper perhaps? Dunno, just a thought at this stage?

Attachments