Help with fuel mixture

GoldenMotor.com

Jewboy 805

May 28, 2021
So I have a 80cc motor brand new for bicycle I kept using pre-made 50 to 1 ratio mix and kept blowing head gaskets so what I'm asking is what is the proper mix to break in my motor

Larry Trotter

Nov 26, 2017
You certainly aren’t blowing the head gaskets because of the fuel mixture. You really should start with something like 20 or even 16 to one for a few tanks. The head gasket is another problem.

Larry Trotter

Nov 26, 2017
Well make a proper mixture of about 20 to one or 16 to one. More won’t hurt it. Do you have a torque wrench? About 10 or 12 foot pounds on the head bolts with a fresh head gasket. Re-torque after after about an hour running and again after another two. Make sure the first time you blew the head gasket that it didn’t flame cut a grove in the head.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
You should break in your engine for the first few tanks at about 24 x 1 and then switch to 32x1 after using a high quality synthetic or semi-synthetic 2 cycle oil. If you are blowing the head gasket it's usually because of excessive 4 stroking combined with a heavy load like going up a steep hill. I would recommend adjusting the carb. If you are using a stock NT carb you should set the needle clip on the leanest setting or switch to a smaller jet.

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
Somewhere I found this info.
New Motor - 16:1 (8 oz of oil per gallon)
After Broken in - 32:1 (4 oz of oil per gallon)

I found it simple to use a gallon gas can and a 6 oz bottles of Lucas synthetic 2 stroke oil. To start with the new engine, by the time you put in 6 oz of oil, the gallon gas can won't hold a gallon, that left me close to the 8 oz per gallon. After the break in time I have empty 6 oz bottles so I pour 2 oz in the empty, This left the 4 oz per gallon,. All the other was just bullchit. I know I pay more fpr the pizzant 6 oz bottles but convenience is worth it.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Over torquing the head bolts will cause head gasket failure!!

Remove the head, use a piece of glass & some sand paper to sand the 'sealing ring' surface flat again & then install a new gasket.
Be sure to torque it down to 12 ft/lbs... (any tighter will cause the head to warp again).

Also... for break-in... my method is to use 32:1 (non synthetic oil) & ride it like you stole it! ;)