help me decide

GoldenMotor.com

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC
I bought a speedo that looks identical to this one, and it worked well for a few weeks, but then became less and less accurate for some reason...stripping of internal gears maybe?? It couldn't handle running at higher speeds for long distances.

If you cruise around at 20mph or less, I think it will work fine for you.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
okay I found a digital at walmart... i bought it. I will use it on one of the bikes for sure but now I have a question. It doesn't say in the directions if the magnet has to be mounted in any particular position on the spokes. yeah it said close to the receiver but... Seems to me it also has to be at the outside edge of the spoke. To give the wheel the right amount of time for the speedometer to guage the amount of distance per second. Does it make a difference?

Big Joe

Jan 6, 2008
Decatur Al
you mount the magnet on the spokes with the flat part (assuming it has a flat part) facing the inside of the fork, which is where the other part of the speedo should be. The two parts must be very close in order for it to work. I had a very difficult time getting mine close enough to work. I finally wrapped pieces of inner tube around the fork leg and secured them with plastic ties. The rubber will help keep the receiver from slipping.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Yes I figured that but does the magnet have to be near the outer edge of the wheel so that the rotation is the full length of the wheel to get an accurate speed reading

Big Joe

Jan 6, 2008
Decatur Al
MY diagram showed the magnet near where the spokes cross. this might also help keep them in place, I also used gorilla glue to help keep in place after I had it tightened.

Big Joe

Jan 6, 2008
Decatur Al
MY diagram showed the magnet near where the spokes cross. this might also help keep them in place, I also used gorilla glue to help keep in place after I had it tightened. Position 2 according to my directions.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
ah okay mine showed that as well.. but i didn't know about it. I'll give that a try and see how it works out. Thanks for the help....

Did yours seem pretty accurate.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I did set it but was just wondering about the placement of the magnet since it seems that it would make a difference. I think how it works is to count the number of times the magnet passes in say second. Then calculate the speed. The magnet would pass more times the closer to the center of the wheel. There for it should read faster than it really is going. At least that is how it seems to me.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I found it on a mfg site...

3) The spoke magnet can be placed anywhere on the wheel because no matter where it is placed, the rotations will always be the same. Normally about 4” from the center. The smaller rubber gasket is used here.

thanks for the help joe.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
you want to mount it so it is as close as possible to the other part you mount on the fork which is usually around the center of the spokes

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I took the Wallymart speedometer and found out how fast my bike will go, so now I'm ready to take it off and save it for the next one. I was curious to see what the bike kit was doing but now I have no need for it at all. LOL. I mean heck if i go wide open there is no speed limit so low that I would break it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Im taking it off today, I have no real use for it now that I know what speed I'm going. If I get the next one done, I'll check the speed on it as well then take it off probably. It's just curiosity since none of my bikes is going to be capable of breaking any speed limits.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I took the Wallymart speedometer and found out how fast my bike will go, so now I'm ready to take it off and save it for the next one. I was curious to see what the bike kit was doing but now I have no need for it at all. LOL. I mean heck if i go wide open there is no speed limit so low that I would break it.

How about a school zone?;)