HELP! Looking for links to DMV guidelines for all Motorized Bicycle legal states

Discussion in 'Laws and Legislation for Motorized Bicycles' started by wildwestrider, Jun 18, 2010.

  1. wildwestrider

    wildwestrider New Member

    Apr 17, 2009
    Likes Received:
    This is a redo-Repost of my prior query from this afternoon.
    Here is my original/prior post and Bairdco's response about CA DMV.

    HELP! Want to compile a list of states that are KNOWN LEGAL states for motorbikes.
    I'm in Texas where Gas Bikes are NOT LEGAL by law. Since I live in Austin which is the capital, I thought perhaps I would try to make some contacts and see who I might talk to about having state laws modified to accomadate a more efficient form of travel;..that being gas powered bikes.

    I'm thinking that before I attempt to lobby on behalf of Motorized bikes in our state, that I should have a list of all states that are known to allow gasbikes by law without insurance which requires an MSO or Vehicle ID number, and copies of DMV docs from each of those states that explain that states requirements and guidelines.

    If possible, I would like to have someone from every state where gas bikes are known to be legal research their DMV for documentation for Gas powered bikes and include a link to it in your reply.

    Brian in Austin

    Now, from Bairdco:

    Here's California:

    registration form:

    license: V.C. Section 5035 - Special License Plate: Display, Transfer, and Destruction

    here's electric regulations: V.C. Section 24016 - Motorized Bicycle Electric Motor: Safety and Equipment Requirements

    here's gas (406a) and electric (406b): V.C. Section 406 - Motorized Bicycle

    here's the safety requirements: V.C. Section 24015 - Motorized Bicycle: Safety and Equipment Requirements

    here's the law i break every day: V.C. Section 23135 - Operation of Modified Motorized Bicycle

    here's a bunch of crap no one else bothers to read: V.C. Section 21207.5 - Motorized Bicycles: Prohibited Operation

    V.C. Section 21209 - Motor Vehicles and Motorized Bicycles in Bicycle Lanes
  2. wildwestrider

    wildwestrider New Member

    Apr 17, 2009
    Likes Received:
    From Terron in Oregon:

    Motor-assisted Scooter
    According to ORS 801.348, a motor-assisted scooter:

    Is designed to be operated on the ground with not more than three wheels;
    Has handlebars and a foot support or seat;
    Can be propelled by human or motor;
    Has a motor capable of propelling it no faster than 24 miles per hour on a level road; and
    Has a motor no bigger than 35 cubic centimeters or, if electric, has a power output of no more than 1,000 watts.
    According to ORS 801.345, a moped:

    Is designed to be operated on the ground upon wheels;
    Has a seat or saddle for use of the rider;
    Is designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground;
    Is equipped with an independent power source that is capable of propelling the vehicle, unassisted, at a speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on a level road surface; and if the power source is a combustion engine, has a piston or rotor displacement of 35.01 to 50 cubic centimeters regardless of the number of chambers in the power source; and
    Is equipped with a power drive system that functions directly or automatically only and does not require clutching or shifting by the operator after the system is engaged.
    A bicycle equipped with a power source may be classed as a moped if it meets all the moped requirements and also does not meet either the definition of an electric assisted bicycle as defined in ORS 801.258, or a motor assisted scooter as defined in ORS 801.348.

    Electric Assisted Bicycle
    According to ORS 801.258, an electric assisted bicycle:

    Is designed to be operated on the ground on wheels;
    Has a seat or saddle for use of the rider;
    Is designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground;
    Has both fully operative pedals for human propulsion and an electric motor; and
    Is equipped with an electric motor that has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts and is incapable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of greater than 20 miles per hour on level ground.
    Electric Personal Mobility Device
    According to ORS 801.259, an electric personal mobility device:

    Is self-balancing on two non-tandem wheels;
    Is designed to transport one standing person;
    Has an electric motor; and
    Has a maximum speed of 15 miles per hour.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Are pocket bikes, mini-choppers or mini-motorcycles legal on Oregon public roads?
    No, these vehicles are not intended for use on public streets and highways. They are manufactured for off-road use.

    A mini-motorcycle, pocket bike, go-kart, all-terrain vehicle or similar motorized vehicle is not legal for use on public roads in Oregon. At least two traffic violations could apply for anyone found using such a vehicle on public roads:

    Operation of an unsafe vehicle is a Class B traffic violation (ORS 815.020), with a fine up to $360; or
    Operation of a vehicle that violates equipment rules is a Class C traffic violation (ORS 815.100), with a fine up to $180.
    But don’t some of these vehicles fit the legal definition of a motorcycle?
    Not necessarily, a motorized vehicle might fit the definition of a motorcycle and still be illegal to ride on public roads.

    To be legal on public roads, motorized vehicles, including motorcycles, need to meet the U.S. Department of Transportation’s vehicle design safety and equipment requirements, which are also the standards adopted by Oregon (ORS 815.010 and 815.030).

    Manufacturers that meet these requirements provide a vehicle identification number (VIN), and a manufacturer's certificate of origin, or MCO, which certifies that the vehicle meets U.S. DOT standards. Other proof of compliance with standards may be provided. For more information see Imported Motorcycle and Moped Requirements.

    Oregon, like all other states, requires that if a motor vehicle is designed for use on public roads that it needs to be titled and registered. That requirement includes mounting of a license plate or plates and payment of a registration fee.

    The rider must have a driver license or instruction permit. For some vehicles, such as motorcycles, the driver also must have endorsements on their driver licenses.

    What about scooters, mopeds, electric assisted bicycles and personal mobility devices?
    Some of these vehicles are legal in some situations if they meet the specific definitions and restrictions in Oregon law. Also, riders must be at least 16 years old and not have driving privileges suspended or revoked.

    Although a driver license is not required for motor-assisted scooters, electric assisted bicycles and personal mobility devices, riders must be at least 16 years old (ORS 807.020 and 814.512) and be eligible for driving privileges. It is also possible for a person whose driving privileges are suspended or revoked to be charged with operating any motorized vehicle while suspended/revoked - including a motor-assisted scooter - on public roads.

    Driving any motor vehicle on a public road while suspended is a Class A violation with a maximum fine of $720.

    Operation by a rider under 16 years of age is a Class D traffic violation with a maximum fine of $90.

    A parent or legal guardian of a child younger than 16 years old who authorizes or knowingly allows a child to operate a motor-assisted scooter may be subject to a traffic citation and fine (ORS 814.536), as well.

    Riders must follow Oregon traffic laws and any laws that apply specifically to these vehicles, such as wearing a helmet.

    A driver license or restricted license is required for anyone to operate a moped (ORS 807.031). Violation of this law is a Class B traffic violation with a maximum fine of $360.

    Which motor-assisted scooters, mopeds, electric assisted bicycles and personal mobility devices are legal on public roads in Oregon?
    To be legal on Oregon public roads, they must fit one of the definitions in the state's laws.

    Riders must be at least 16 years old.

    Use of these vehicles also may be restricted in cities, counties, parks, bike lanes, crosswalks, sidewalks and other locations and situations.

    Mopeds must be titled and registered, but Oregon law specifically exempts motor-assisted scooters, electric assisted bicycles, and personal mobility devices from title and registration requirements.

    So yeah I was wrong about the CC, I don't know why because I totally knew that. It's 35 now
  3. Cabinfever1977

    Cabinfever1977 New Member

    Mar 23, 2009
    Likes Received:
    Arizona - 50cc or less/1.5hp/25mph max/any license
    California - peddals/2hp/30mph/dot helmet/license or permit/one time reg and plate
    Colorado - any license/50cc and under/30mph max/peddals required
    Connecticut - 30mph/less than 50cc/auto trans/less than 2hp/peddals not required/any license
    Georgia - 50cc/2hp/30mph/no clutch-shift/pedals not required/no reg/lic or permit/dot helmet
    Idaho - 30mph/50cc/no shifting after engaged/license
    Indiana - license or id card/25mph/2hp/50cc/peddals
    Iowa - 50cc or less/any license/neon flag/25mph max
    Kentucky - peddals not required/2hp/50cc/30mph/no shift after engaged/license
    Maine - 1.5hp/25mph but can travel only 20mph/lic/(25cc for a scooter)
    Maryland - pedals/1.5hp/50cc or less/license
    Michigan - license/Moped registered w secretary of state - decal (sticker)/No insurance/no plate
    Missouri - 50cc/30mph or less/peddals not required/license/3hp/lights/brakes/auto trans
    Montana - 2hp/50cc/30mph
    #3 Cabinfever1977, Jun 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  4. Cabinfever1977

    Cabinfever1977 New Member

    Mar 23, 2009
    Likes Received:
    Nebraska - 30mph/25mph nights/permit/pedals/auto trans/50cc/2HP/Class O licence/head+tail light/helmet+visor
    Nevada - 2hp/50cc/30mph/no reg/helmet+goggles/fenders
    New Mexico - license or permit/50cc/30mph/auto trans
    North Carolina - dot helmet/50cc/30mph/no shifter
    South Carolina - 50cc/2hp/30mph/no shift after engaged/any license
    South Dakota - 50cc/30mph/head+taillight/eye protection/license
    Tennessee - 30mph/50cc/2hp/helmet/license
    Texas - *motorized scooters*,40cc,deck with or without seat,oprate on roads with 35mphmax,can go on sidewalk
    Utah - 40cc or 50cc?
    West Virginia - 49cc/helmet
    Wisconsin - 50cc?/30mph/license
  5. Nougat

    Nougat New Member

    Nov 4, 2009
    Likes Received:
    Illinois - (gas and electric) Under 1HP, maximum speed 20MPH with 170 lb. rider on flat paved surface, must be 16 years old, no license required, no registration, no title, no insurance. Cannot ride on sidewalks, otherwise treated as a regular bicycle.
  6. wildwestrider

    wildwestrider New Member

    Apr 17, 2009
    Likes Received:
    Cabinfever1977: Where did you source your information on TEXAS?

Share This Page