Helmet recommendations?

GoldenMotor.com

DavidCP

Dec 28, 2017
I have a modified 4-stroke friction drive setup. It's surprisingly quiet and despite being small, it's still got a full two horsepower. Which is enough to take my 127 pound self up to ~35 MPH on flat roads. Which is perfect for here in town where 95% of the roads are 15 - 25 MPH roads.

My parents have been grumbling at me for not wearing a helmet because I don't happen to own one. Do other people here wear helmets when out and about? If so, what brand/type would you recommend?

ej132

Mar 26, 2018
On my vintage friction drive I just wear my bike helmet, its only a 28cc and does 20 mph at most.

Reactions: Dan

Rigz

Mar 1, 2018
orlando
I wear just a regular bicycle helmet from Walmart. I mostly wear it for protection from the police becuase I doubt it will protect me much from a 35mph crash. Where I live (florida)these bikes are totally illegal and I try to follow all traffic and bicycle laws to the fullest and try to attract the least attention possible. Doesn't really work tho. If your going to be going that fast get a real motorcycle helmet

Reactions: Dan

TheMogollonMonster

Mar 26, 2018
White Mountian Lakes AZ
Bell makes nice, affordable DOT approved motorcycle helmets, right around a hundred bucks (US) I recommend a full face helmet on these bikes, those who do not, misremember what hitting the ground at five miles an hour and eight years old was like. You are now going much faster, and are not nearly as resilient as eight-year-old-you. Wear a brain bucket, Dagnabit!

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
When going fast, a full-face helmet also signifies to traffic that you're going faster than a bicycle. Might help keep folks from pulling out in front of you.....

However, anything is better than nothing! Might be the best Mother's/Father's Day gift you ever bought for your parents!

Rigz

Mar 1, 2018
orlando
When going fast, a full-face helmet also signifies to traffic that you're going faster than a bicycle. Might help keep folks from pulling out in front of you.....

However, anything is better than nothing! Might be the best Mother's/Father's Day gift you ever bought for your parents!
That's a really good point

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
A helmet is a must! I prefer foam ones as at our speeds, your more likely to bounce than go skidding down the highway. The helmet in my avatar saved me from being spoon fed for the rest of my life if I survived. My front fender let go, went around once and then stopped the front wheel dead. Front of bike stopped. Me and the rest did not. Full on face slap on the pavement.

I was hurtin' but walked away. A neighbor heard the crash and came out. Gave me and bike a ride home. Leaked gas all over the bed of his truck and bled all over his cab.

Wear a helmet! If you even sit on a MB. Put it on!

I recomend motorcycle looking foam filled ones. If, and I have tested this, your wearing a bike helmet, car drivers think your doing bike speeds and will kill you. With a MC helmet, they assume your going faster. Seriously, if you have both styles of helmets. Test it. Crazy but true.

Here is the thread on my helmet saving me; https://motorbicycling.com/threads/another-tale-of-fender-failure.10191/

Please just wear it. Can get really cool ones cheap.

Last edited:

trevortex

Dec 14, 2020
A helmet is a must! I prefer foam ones as at our speeds, your more likely to bounce than go skidding down the highway. The helmet in my avatar saved me from being spoon fed for the rest of my life if I survived. My front fender let go, went around once and then stopped the front wheel dead. Front of bike stopped. Me and the rest did not. Full on face slap on the pavement.

I was hurtin' but walked away. A neighbor heard the crash and came out. Gave me and bike a ride home. Leaked gas all over the bed of his truck and bled all over his cab.

Wear a helmet! If you even sit on a MB. Put it on!

I recomend motorcycle looking foam filled ones. If, and I have tested this, your wearing a bike helmet, car drivers think your doing bike speeds and will kill you. With a MC helmet, they assume your going faster. Seriously, if you have both styles of helmets. Test it. Crazy but true.

Here is the thread on my helmet saving me; https://motorbicycling.com/threads/another-tale-of-fender-failure.10191/

Please just wear it. Can get really cool ones cheap.
I agree with you. Riding a motorcycle without complete precautions are not only dangerous but also, in some unfortunate cases, deathly. Studies have revealed that 35% of motorcycle crashes have affected the neck and chin area. For this reason, make sure whenever you’re riding a motorcycle, you have your helmet on. It is always better to be safe than sorry.