hello

GoldenMotor.com

fireopal

Dec 25, 2007
so lemme introduce myself and say i think you all are cheating with these motor bicycles and think you all should start pedaling or buy a REAL motorcycle :D

j/k

fireopal

Dec 25, 2007
Welcome to the site.
Please don't knock it until you try it, lol...you'll be addicted after your first ride too ;)
not knocking it but used to race and never heard of this until cruiser mentioned it and it just seemed so off the wall because if you want a motorcycle you can buy them.... BUT have this bike that i bought after i burned out and sold racing bike that has been sitting for about 9 years (used for about 15 minutes) and am thinking about maybe doing this so i may be first in this area and the first female at that... not to mention - have always wanted a little motorcycle so this seems like it would be kinda close to one and it would also put that bike to good use too because no way it is gonna get ridden with the hill i have to tackle to get home at end of a ride ^5

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
nice thing about these bikes fireopal is when you want exercise you can peddle just like a regular bicycle. when you got a big hill or just want to cruise a while you just give it the gas. it is the best of both worlds. a motor bicycle and a pedal bicycle

fireopal

Dec 25, 2007
nice thing about these bikes fireopal is when you want exercise you can peddle just like a regular bicycle. when you got a big hill or just want to cruise a while you just give it the gas. it is the best of both worlds. a motor bicycle and a pedal bicycle
question and keep in mind i haven't read all that much about this just yet and don't see a section on brakes, so do you put different brakes on these bikes or do you go through mega pads b/c if they can get up to 35-40 mph seems like you would burn through normal ones real quick??

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
average speed people will do is around 25-30. 35-40 is realy winding out the motor. i have one break lever that works both the front and back brake. so far the pads seem to be holding up just as well as they do on a pedal bike

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
question and keep in mind i haven't read all that much about this just yet and don't see a section on brakes, so do you put different brakes on these bikes or do you go through mega pads b/c if they can get up to 35-40 mph seems like you would burn through normal ones real quick??

I get around that two ways- coaster brakes and planning ahead. Of course when an emergency rears it's ugly head, I just scream.

sabala

Jan 5, 2008
I was actually ready to get a scooter but realized a bicycle with an engine could be carried up into my 3rd floor apt...as opposed to the 300lb scooter I was looking at.

Any ideas which engine set up you might get yet?

fireopal

Dec 25, 2007
I get around that two ways- coaster brakes and planning ahead. Of course when an emergency rears it's ugly head, I just scream.
:eek: never even thought of this aspect and the thought of an emergency like crashing or being run off the road which did happen to me 2x is VERY scary and especially at 20-25 mph and considering that folks rarely stop after they make you crash :(:-||

fireopal

Dec 25, 2007
I was actually ready to get a scooter but realized a bicycle with an engine could be carried up into my 3rd floor apt...as opposed to the 300lb scooter I was looking at.

Any ideas which engine set up you might get yet?
lol was just thinking this when i posted above but you are very right in that they are much more manageable and you don't need insurance coverage for em etc (just yet) BUT you may need super deluxe padding depending on what kind of area you live in so i will probably look like a pillow riding mine rotfl

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Who needs brakesrotfl
Welcome now get the engine on and fired up. Rats the old lady wants the computer so now I'm going to go play wit my motorized bike might go to the airport and go fly the boyd(my name for the airplane) some call it the Zero!rotfl What kind of a name that!:confused:
Want to see it fly?
utube type in search kr2 flyby experimental
I'm doing a over 200 mph flyby with a VW powered homebuilt:D
Norman

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I found in the sissy schwinn, the engine does most of the braking for me. I almost never apply brakes unless it is to stop at a stop sign which I seldom do anyway. I can throttle down enough to make a right turn never touching the brake.

I'm sure there are as many reasons why we ride these toys as there are people who own them. I personally started with electric bikes. I built my own friction drive bikes and enjoyed the attention frankly. I'm not supposed to drive a car so the bike seemed a good alternative. It would be much harder to kill an innocent motorist with a bike I think.

I drove the electro to a meeting one morning and after five miles it was about to stop on me. fortunately I was across the street from my driveway at the time. I very very reluctantly went to gasoline for the range. I am still not convinced it was the best thing I ever did, but I am having fun with it. And thanks to some very nice people who are here now, I learned a little about how to repair the monster.

I rode motorcycles in my youth but I always loved the pictures of the very very early bikes. The ones that look an awful lot like my sissy schwinn with a motor on it.

Why not pedal well to be honest I have had a couple of heart attacks and can pedal a few miles on flat ground but even a modest hill kicks my butt. The electric was ideal for flattening out the hills. The gas is even better but I don't get to pedal quite as much. So it is more just pure joy to ride not as much exercise as before.

All in all it takes up an old man's time. I guess that is one persons reason but I'm sure everyone has a different story to tell.

Kind of interesting when you think about it. These toys probably cross age, socio economic lines as well anything else, and about any other barrier you can think of as well.

I can see when they finally come tow my car away I will still be able to go to the store and buy a quart of milk. So the little thing is a toy for sure, it is also an exerciser of sorts, it gets me out in the fresh air which I might not do otherwise, and best of all it has the promise of continued freedom and independence. What more could a fat ole country boy ask.

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Deacon
Makes me thing of the lines with a little modification.
They can have my motorized bike when they pry cold dead hands off the bars.rotfl
Or! When motorized bikes are outlawed only outlaws will have them.(^)
Got premix?:confused:
I need to learn better manors WECOME! Firepal.
I gotta quit.
Norman

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
here is why a woman would want one of these toys...

The small bike with the even smaller engine pulled from the drive of the million dollar home. Now in California or New York that might not mean much, but in the deep south a million dollar house is still a big deal. The little motorized bike looked way out of place in that neighborhood, let alone that particular drive.

You see the Edwards couple didn't have any kids. So the small bike with the motor didn't belong to a child but an adult. It actually belonged to Mrs. Edwards.

The bike was loud enough that everyone in the neighborhood knew when she was out for a ride. Not just the neighbors and all their servants, but also every dog within a mile seemed to object the moment she disengaged the clutch. It was at that point that the tiny engine roared, if one can call the sound made by so small an engine a roar.

Lest you think Mrs Edwards was one of those young brides let me assure you she was a full grown woman. Maybe even a few years past full grown. Alright Mrs Edwards was slipping into the dark side of middle age. Nonetheless when she rode the bike by, with her blonde hair blowing beneath the pink bike helmet, all the men young and old turned to look. Which most likely is why Mrs. Edwards rode the bike.