Hello World! Any suggestions on my second build?

GoldenMotor.com

Cameron

Apr 6, 2013
Texas
Hello!

After months of scrolling through topic after topic I've decided to finally create and account and join in on the conversation. I built my first motorized bicycle from a standard 2-stroke kit on a Schwinn Point Beach. I really enjoyed the learning experience working with, and riding my bike. I've had plenty of experience with fabrication, and I got into all of this starting with my attempt to electrically motorize a bike, (including hand making a freewheel crankshaft with two gears). Sadly, my little china girl was recently stolen, on top of that, when they stole it I had recently broken it down to improve some parts including the gas tank, throttle and CDI, so this guy really screwed me over and got nothing out of it.

I've now decided to go up in build quality as I have recently come into the money to be able to make the bike I really want. I want to build around DAX's GP50R I really like the look, compact design, and what looks like high quality and power of the engine. So... What suggestions does everyone have as far as getting a really good quality, long lasting bike, with high performance (sturdy bikes, CDIs, carbs, exhaust/expansion chambers etc...). I am considering doing my first shift kit on this build as well, but I am not set in any one direction yet, so feel free to give as much advice and direction as you would like.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hello Cameron welcome to the forum glad you joined us. Sorry to hear about your bike being stolen. That really sucks!

I really don't have any advice on what is the best bike, about all i can say is read up on the forum and see what other members are riding.

The Schwinn OCC? Not sure where you could find one? maybe craigslist?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
those bikes are all over craigslist for $100-150.

in my opinion, those bikes have been done to death (and i think they're pretty ugly. ;) ) putting the ktm clone on one would make a fast, clumsy looking bike with poor handling (again, my opinion...)

you say you've got fabrication skills, so if you can weld, why not go all out and build your own frame? if that's too much for you, chop up a couple bikes you like and create something totally unique.

this forum is filled with custom bikes so you should find plenty of good examples to spark your creativity.

Cameron

Apr 6, 2013
Texas
I actually went with a steel micargi 7-speed cruiser. As I loathe coaster breakes any suggestions on how to turn this into a single speed, possibly with disk brakes?, but still maintaining cruiser sized wheels or larger