HELLO THERE! Just joined and ready to start!!

GoldenMotor.com

Joshua Rivera

Oct 21, 2019
Hey guys, I bought a engine from amazon about a month ago and was struggling to find a bike that I could mount it on until today. I have also bought a sprocket adapter, I didn’t want my spokes to bend with the one that comes with the kit. The bike I’m attempting to mount the engine on is a regular fixie bike. I was wondering if anyone knew If it’s a bad idea to use the 16 tooth sprocket that comes with the bike.

Reactions: indian22

Joshua Rivera

Oct 21, 2019
Hey there Greg, I really appreciate the reply! What I’m trying to do is get up the engine kit on a golden cycle fixie. I want to connect the engine right on the fixie gear since the rim has two little sprockets on it (one for fixie mode, another one so you can pedal backwards and not get smacked with the pedals)

Attachments

Reactions: indian22

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Like both before me stated using that sprocket will not work, the smallest rear sprocket I’ve hear of someone using is a 28t. With a 28t plan on doing a lot of pedaling, here in Georgia the smallest I can run is a 38t because of hills.

Joshua Rivera

Oct 21, 2019
I do have the sprocket adapter, but the hub of the wheel is way too small. There’s a bike shop around me that said they would be willing to attach it, not sure how but they said one other guy came in with the same issue. I really don’t want to use the one that comes with the packet because it’s on fixie rims and I’m sure those spokes won’t last.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
nice tip on the chains ;)
Kelly go to the motorized bicycle components forum and select the" hubs, gearbox, sprockets and chains" topic and the "sticky" at the top of the list has fantastic chain info and great chain comparisons dealing with our usage on motorized bikes etc. comparative strength and fitment, all in one place.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I do have the sprocket adapter, but the hub of the wheel is way too small. There’s a bike shop around me that said they would be willing to attach it, not sure how but they said one other guy came in with the same issue. I really don’t want to use the one that comes with the packet because it’s on fixie rims and I’m sure those spokes won’t last.
Joshua actually buying the correct 26" cruiser bike, coaster brake, wheel with 12 gauge spokes 36 spokes and 1.5" diameter hub wheel fit your 1.5" adapter is probably the cheapest way ($75. or less) new or $10. for a good used one, to get this thing going and actually work correctly. Final drive sprocket with the kit engines, like Greg said, 38 tooth, for flatland use or 44 tooth for hilly....54 tooth for San Francisco!

Rick C.

Reactions: Joshua Rivera

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Rick it’s been a long time since I started that thread.
Yeah Greg but it's sooo relevant & that's why it's sticky! You spent the time to explain it right and the charts are super. If you can read you can understand this stuff and it's all in one place for every member to refer to. You did well with starting this thread.

Members with questions about chains and sprockets need to be referred back to this sticky by members every time rather than waste time trying to explain this stuff to every new member, when this thread does it better!

Rick C.

Reactions: Joshua Rivera