Handlebars when building 2 stroke from a kit

GoldenMotor.com

jeffpas

Jan 2, 2023
Hello! Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm brand new.
I'm building a 2 stroke engine kit on a Huffy 18 speed mountain bike. I had limited funds and picked the best bike I could find that would fit the engine.
But the current problem I'm having is the handlebars :/ They are a bit short with all of the hardware and controls, as I opted to leave the 18 speed shifters on (in case I needed to ride the bike manually).
So the grips extend about 1 1/4" past the metal handlebars with everything on. I don't like this really from a safety standpoint.
What's more the throttle that came with the kit, slides on and although it screws on where the kill switch is, it just feels loose and twisty, as it came in two parts, with the handle having a plastic disc on the end that fits inside the kill switch mount. Is it supposed to be like this?
It just feels weird riding a motorbike holding on with the handlebar loose like that.
Anybody have any thoughts?

741263955320811201.jpg

3158577884810605872.jpg

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Do I have have some pictures for you. Here's what's possible with our bikes.

20230105_093924~2.jpg
20230105_093946~2.jpg
20230105_094003~2.jpg
20230105_093908~2.jpg

My system allows all shifting to be done with the left hand. The front shifter is a shifter/brake combo.
20230105_093849~2.jpg

The way I'm able to put so much onto my handlebars is by using an extender bar.

20230105_093819~2.jpg

My throttle used to move also. So I used a self-tapping screw to stop it from moving.

20230105_093835~2.jpg

The really good thing is our bikes can be used for more than just riding pleasure.

20230105_121058~2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jeffpas

jeffpas

Jan 2, 2023
Now that black cart there is something. Can you hook that on the back?
I need to get some rear view mirrors!

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I would keep it simple... It's a bicycle anyway ;)
All too often simple means "Not Safe" for example to twist and look behind you then back to the front takes at least 2 seconds. To look in a mirror and then back to the front takes about a half second.

Also, it's not just a bicycle, you are going faster than a bicycle.

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Mirrors on 2 stroke is just going to vibrate and just be a blur... I like to set up controls that are simple so it becomes second nature when an emergency happens front brake on the throttle side rear on the left and I turn my head constantly so mirrors don't have a place...

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Mirrors on 2 stroke is just going to vibrate and just be a blur... I like to set up controls that are simple so it becomes second nature when an emergency happens front brake on the throttle side rear on the left and I turn my head constantly so mirrors don't have a place...
My mirrors don't vibrate. However one could use helmet mirrors. You can see a lot more behind you with mirrors than you can by twisting your body.

Signal/brake lights are a big help when riding in traffic since many don't know what hand signals mean. Loud horns help alert others to your presence. The key to safe riding is:

Be aware/alert
Be seen
Be predictable
Communicate

When I first started on these forums the old concept was to keep it simple. Many have quickly discovered they aren't on plain old bicycles. You're on a vehicle capable of doing speeds of 30+ mph. Very much like what mopeds/motor-driven cycles can do. Safety is the reason those vehicles are required by law to have operating equipment on them. If basic operating equipment seems as complicated as operating a spaceship to an individual, I guess that speaks for itself.

When I do builds they're more safety/reliable oriented than speed oriented. So if you want to track race/off-road, keep the build simple. If you plan to ride in traffic then install the equipment that'll up your chances of staying accident-free.

Last edited:

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
Did u drill a hole in the handlebars for the little pin inside the kill switch housing? That’s what’s supposed to keep the whole assembly from rotating when u turn the throttle.

• Haha
Reactions: Mossy

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Did u drill a hole in the handlebars for the little pin inside the kill switch housing? That’s what’s supposed to keep the whole assembly from rotating when u turn the throttle.
Get a CNC throttle for 7/8 and kill switch to match those plastic throttles aren't worth the time to drill a hole

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
Wish I knew that when I built my bike lol. But I wound up buying a silver cnc throttle assembly and I love it. Never had a problem since I got my cnc one. Get one it’s worth every penny.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's a customer's bike that I've been working on & I thought I'd post some pics of how I do the bars on mountain bikes...
I usually delete the derailleur for the pedal sprockets because it's always in the way of the engine, & only have shifting for the rear wheel.
This bike was old & already built; I'm just re-working it... (I didn't put the screw in the throttle housing)
I installed a dual pull brake lever & relocated the shifter to the left side, & shortened all the cables to make it look cleaner.

This is just to show how I like doing it. (^)

bars1.jpg

bars2.jpg

bars3.jpg

bars4.jpg

Last edited:

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
Sack a tomatoes California
Hello! Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm brand new.
I'm building a 2 stroke engine kit on a Huffy 18 speed mountain bike. I had limited funds and picked the best bike I could find that would fit the engine.
But the current problem I'm having is the handlebars :/ They are a bit short with all of the hardware and controls, as I opted to leave the 18 speed shifters on (in case I needed to ride the bike manually).
So the grips extend about 1 1/4" past the metal handlebars with everything on. I don't like this really from a safety standpoint.
What's more the throttle that came with the kit, slides on and although it screws on where the kill switch is, it just feels loose and twisty, as it came in two parts, with the handle having a plastic disc on the end that fits inside the kill switch mount. Is it supposed to be like this?
It just feels weird riding a motorbike holding on with the handlebar loose like that.
Anybody have any thoughts?

View attachment 112043

View attachment 112044
Very easy fix. Find a wooden dowl that is slightly bigger than the diameter of your handlebars carve enough of it down on one end to fit securely inside the handlebar that will accommodate the rest of the handle smooth it down as you need to to fit the diameter of the handlebar and then slide The Handlebar grip over it and voila you're done.

OR TRY A thumb throttle with a double break pull like you have already but with the throttle built into the mechanism. This will eliminate about 3/4 of what you have on there

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
Sack a tomatoes California
Do I have have some pictures for you. Here's what's possible with our bikes.

View attachment 112055 View attachment 112059 View attachment 112060 View attachment 112054

My system allows all shifting to be done with the left hand. The front shifter is a shifter/brake combo.
View attachment 112057

The way I'm able to put so much onto my handlebars is by using an extender bar.

View attachment 112058

My throttle used to move also. So I used a self-tapping screw to stop it from moving.

View attachment 112056

The really good thing is our bikes can be used for more than just riding pleasure.

View attachment 112061
Jerry you have always been a voice of reason and a great inspiration to me and the rest of the community... but you need to slow down on the caffine bro, the amount of stuff you have on your bike exceeds the weight of the motor and the bicycle and it looks like you have a good coffee tweak going on.

I have to say that if you were in my town you would probably be pulled over just by the look of your bike because they would think that you're a meth head.... though I'm sure we could probably find our speed direction and destination of anywhere on the planet we were going with that bike.

( said with all the love and respect in the world) Batman would be jealous.

• Haha
Reactions: Mossy

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Jerry you have always been a voice of reason and a great inspiration to me and the rest of the community... but you need to slow down on the caffine bro, the amount of stuff you have on your bike exceeds the weight of the motor and the bicycle and it looks like you have a good coffee tweak going on.

I have to say that if you were in my town you would probably be pulled over just by the look of your bike because they would think that you're a meth head.... though I'm sure we could probably find our speed direction and destination of anywhere on the planet we were going with that bike.

( said with all the love and respect in the world) Batman would be jealous.
I don't have to worry about any of the 16 police officers here in my town thinking I'm a meth head. I'm friends with all of them and they like my bike.

Mossy

May 20, 2022
I don't have to worry about any of the 16 police officers here in my town thinking I'm a meth head. I'm friends with all of them and they like my bike.
I've bought dope from the police... Once... They sold me weed to build trust in the hopes I would come back for something harder and never did... My regular guy was out so just to get by I tricked the undercovers into selling me a QP laff