gt80 won't start

GoldenMotor.com

aarcher30

Sep 18, 2014
masontown, pa
ran a gt80 with speed carb, reed valve, straight pipe. I ordered the keihin carb and now it won't run, I read up on the air fuel mix the idle and the clip setting. any other ideas like what jet and size to start with? I'm in Pennsylvania, and yes the bike ran prior the the new carb, also bought open banana pipe (no baffles).

aarcher30

Sep 18, 2014
masontown, pa
broke down the carb cleaned out the Jets which the main did have some melted plastic in it. but now I'm dumping gas out of the Jets with or without the bike running

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Assuming that you've cleaned out anything that could hold open the fuel inlet valve, I would guess that the float is set too high. This would cause flooding and hard to start issues.

Just a guess from a chimp.

mike carter 2

Nov 23, 2011
west virgina
i have the keihin carb on my reed valve gt80.have no problems at all.well over 1000 miles on it.most of the time something iv worked on wont run i go back and recheck my work.a lot of times it me thats the problem:-||

aarcher30

Sep 18, 2014
masontown, pa
thank you all for your help, I bent the clip a little to adjust the float, runs fine now, thank you very much.

what's the best exaust gasket I can use for this gt80?

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Good to hear you got it sorted. For an exhaust gasket I would look for one that has a rectangle-ish opening to match the cylinder outlet port. Get a few of them as they are cheap and spares will be needed at some point. I think Sick bike parts has one that is solid metal that could be hogged out and still have some meat on it. Not sure but worth checking out.