Greetings all, I have returned!

GoldenMotor.com

TheMogollonMonster

Mar 26, 2018
White Mountian Lakes AZ
My former screen name was MogollonMonster, the access to which I've lost. As such, I am indeed the original author of the "A Bike Called Murder, A Build Thread" as well as the builder, rider and eventual cause of death of the venerable "Tanglebones".
A hiatus was somewhat feisted upon me as I found a wonderful new woman in my life, relocated, and as night follows day, a lovely new daughter was born in January of 2018.
Murder was sold, albeit to a close cousin, and good riddance I say, for the Micargi Mustang frame was not what I had hoped for after all.
Taking the lessons learned from that build, I will soon starting again, this time with a Motiv Backcountry frame.

Attachments

Reactions: fasteddy

Rigz

Mar 1, 2018
orlando
Welcome lol. Love the names. Iv thought of many names for my bikes but "Ol' unreliable" seems to be the most fitting name lol

TheMogollonMonster

Mar 26, 2018
White Mountian Lakes AZ
When I started this adventure, it was just that, an adventure, mostly in uncharted territory. To this day, I don't know of anyone who has put the kind of long distance miles I have on a standard ChinaGirl kit. After reviewing my log books and travel journals I discovered that my basically stock SD Stinger kit, carried me an a trailer load of gear approximately 10,000 miles, before a wrist pin retaining clip broke, roamed around my cylinder, wandered into my case, back into the cylinder and out of the exhaust, and more or less ruined my day. Almost every mile on that engine was highway mileage, up and down grades, over and around the White Mountains of Arizona. Many trips of 50 miles one way, as I lived a long long way from work at the time. These long expeditions around Arizona meant that the bikes earned and deserved a name.

Rigz

Mar 1, 2018
orlando
That's amazing! And a great story. 10000 miles on a single engine? 2000 miles seems to be about the best you can expect with a well cared for engine from what iv seen. How did you do it?

TheMogollonMonster

Mar 26, 2018
White Mountian Lakes AZ
These motors vary so much from one to the other, I think that one in particular came to me with an extra tough plating inside the cylinder. What myself and others believe to be the cause of extended life was the amount of, and type of oil I used. Five ounces or more to the gallon of STHIL HP Ultra synthetic. I still have that cylinder, and between the gouges from the broken clip, you can see that it was still a nice, smooth jug

Attachments

TheMogollonMonster

Mar 26, 2018
White Mountian Lakes AZ
I wish I still had the piston and rings. There was some seriously uneven wear on them, upper ring polished shiny, but nearly factory(ish, with all the variance) measurements. Bottom ring, looked untouched, like it had just been installed and never run. It measured the same as the top ring, and felt to have very similar tension. I had been waiting and waiting for it to die and give me a chance to open it up. The tear down raised more questions than it answered.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Welcome back! Congrats on the family. Was that your Dax engine? My old snowmobile had chrome walls like that.
What motor you going to use now?.............Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Welcome back! Congrats on the family. Was that your Dax engine? My old snowmobile had chrome walls like that.
What motor you going to use now?.............Curt

TheMogollonMonster

Mar 26, 2018
White Mountian Lakes AZ
Actually that photo is from my SD Stinger jug, i actually sold the Dax motor, but an odd turn of events returned it to me just yesterday. It's in terrible shape, turns out my cousin was on meth for a minute... Epoxy on the exhaust, intake, mag cover. Loose wheels with breaks unattached. Dog eaten ignition wires. Seat trashed. Worst, I think the frame itself may be bent, but I have to disassemble to see.
0329181040.jpg
0329181041a.jpg
0329181041.jpg
0329181042.jpg
0329181042a.jpg

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Sad they have to reunion a lot of things account of meth, or drugs. Like Steve says can’t Waite to see what you build next