Got it 3 days ago, ran the first day, hasn't again.

GoldenMotor.com

Coventix

Mar 31, 2022
I know this has been posted numerous times, but I'm reaching out for any help, I've searched threads consistently and every solution I've found hasn't worked for me. My 2-stroke bicycle kit ran fine the first day I got it assembled, I took it to my local park, took a break, rode it back, it ran perfectly fine & all was good. Yesterday evening I went to ride it, and it got me about a block away before shutting off. It wouldn't start back up. I checked the spark plug, it works fine, I checked the wiring, everything is snug, I checked if there was a air leak between the carb and the engine, there was not. So I naturally assumed it was flooded, I unscrewed the screw on the carb, let it drain, took the spark plug off, and let it sit overnight, mind u the spark plug had no liquid (gas) on it and I made sure the fuel-line petcock worked properly (i know some are janky and have to be turned slightly away from "off" to be off). Today I tried to start it without the fuel-line on to try and get any excess gas out, no gas came out of my exhaust after a few tries so I assumed it wasn't flooded. Put everything back how it should be, turned the fuel line back on, and tried again. It tries to start-up, you can hear it trying, and using the throttle makes it, y-know, get more fuel so it gets louder & u can hear it combusting more, but it instantly dies, maybe a gas to air ratio problem? Not sure how I'd fix that however. I'm stuck at this point, I don't have a meter to test any electrical business, but it's a brand new kit so I wouldn't think it'd be faulty out of the box. With my first kit that came, it had a rusty gas tank, so, I reached out to the seller, they sent me another full-kit (no i did not use a rusty gas tank, I waited for it to come in to switch it before riding it the first time). With the spare kit sitting around, I also decided to switch out the carb, and I also switched out the CDI even though I know the original was fine, tested for spark, gives spark. It still will not start up. I've even tried disconnecting the kill switch with no result. It acts like it isn't getting enough fuel or something but that shouldn't be an issue, especially with the replacement carb, and yes I tried the old one again as-well. Any help is gladly appreciated, I'm all ears & I'm willing to try what-ever. I do not know engines or have much mechanical knowledge, only the basics. I bought this so I could learn more about engines like many others have.

Paul Land

Mar 30, 2022
I know this has been posted numerous times, but I'm reaching out for any help, I've searched threads consistently and every solution I've found hasn't worked for me. My 2-stroke bicycle kit ran fine the first day I got it assembled, I took it to my local park, took a break, rode it back, it ran perfectly fine & all was good. Yesterday evening I went to ride it, and it got me about a block away before shutting off. It wouldn't start back up. I checked the spark plug, it works fine, I checked the wiring, everything is snug, I checked if there was a air leak between the carb and the engine, there was not. So I naturally assumed it was flooded, I unscrewed the screw on the carb, let it drain, took the spark plug off, and let it sit overnight, mind u the spark plug had no liquid (gas) on it and I made sure the fuel-line petcock worked properly (i know some are janky and have to be turned slightly away from "off" to be off). Today I tried to start it without the fuel-line on to try and get any excess gas out, no gas came out of my exhaust after a few tries so I assumed it wasn't flooded. Put everything back how it should be, turned the fuel line back on, and tried again. It tries to start-up, you can hear it trying, and using the throttle makes it, y-know, get more fuel so it gets louder & u can hear it combusting more, but it instantly dies, maybe a gas to air ratio problem? Not sure how I'd fix that however. I'm stuck at this point, I don't have a meter to test any electrical business, but it's a brand new kit so I wouldn't think it'd be faulty out of the box. With my first kit that came, it had a rusty gas tank, so, I reached out to the seller, they sent me another full-kit (no i did not use a rusty gas tank, I waited for it to come in to switch it before riding it the first time). With the spare kit sitting around, I also decided to switch out the carb, and I also switched out the CDI even though I know the original was fine, tested for spark, gives spark. It still will not start up. I've even tried disconnecting the kill switch with no result. It acts like it isn't getting enough fuel or something but that shouldn't be an issue, especially with the replacement carb, and yes I tried the old one again as-well. Any help is gladly appreciated, I'm all ears & I'm willing to try what-ever. I do not know engines or have much mechanical knowledge, only the basics. I bought this so I could learn more about engines like many others have.
Are you getting spark do you have gas filter or is it clogged. Sounds like carb leak (see photo) or ground is shorted. how old is motor ?
tester.jpg Go to Dave's small engine repair @ U-Tube on how to test for carb leaks

Reactions: Coventix

Coventix

Mar 31, 2022
Are you getting spark do you have gas filter or is it clogged. Sounds like carb leak (see photo) or ground is shorted. how old is motor ?
View attachment 109916 Go to Dave's small engine repair @ U-Tube on how to test for carb leaks
The spark plug is working properly, the gas filter is still clear & the motor should be brand new, It's been ridden less than 20 miles out of box.
The carb was leaking fuel at one point on the underside, it looked like it was coming out of the drain screw, so I tightened it & haven't seen anymore.
I've tried two different carbs so far, and it still won't turn over.
I am debating on replacing the engine, as I have another one from the other kit, I'm suspicious the crank-shaft was welded improperly but have no knowledge to confirm (some people with the same symptoms had this issue) and would rather not go through that hassle

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Did you get it running? Check for air leaks, look close around the base of the cylinder, check the head nuts too. Torque head nuts to 12-14 foot pounds, use a x pattern starting at 6 lbs then 12.