"Getting started in...electric bicycles"

GoldenMotor.com

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
I received the Popular Mechanics April issue today. In there they had a small article on Bolt Motorbikes. On the whole I prefer internal combustion engines.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I have all the goodwill in the world for electric bicycles. But I'm not yet convinced that they will ever be able to replace the internal combustion engine.

The reason being, of course, range. And though there have been big battery improvements over the last couple of decades, the state of the art still ain't where it needs to be. And I have a bad feeling that the better batteries of the future might require materials that are more and more rare.

I hope I'm wrong.

But don't throw away your gasoline engine yet.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
I'm an E-biker and can say that the technology has caught up already. But it comes at a higher price vs the IC counterparts. I love both form of power, but I choose the Electric route, since my background is electric RC's. The IC bikes are a lot cooler looking vs the Electric bikes that are out there. Something about the engine noise that gives you a rush that an regular E-bike can't give you. The get the "rush" on a E-bike requires way more money. It took me about 3 years to get there as my money tree in the back yard never blooms.

Tuning an IC unit is fun and the mechanical aspect is fun. Tuning my Ebike requires a laptop and that is about it. Tuning my mid drive Ebike requires a laptop and actual tools.

Range cost money with an Ebike. Gas is way cheaper. Figure about $600-1500 for a battery pack that will last 3-5 years.
Speed effects range just like with an IC counterpart. My bike gets around 25 mile range when going all out in speed during my commute. Max is 60mph. I get around 60 mile range if I do 20mph on the same bike and pedal off the line.

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
I totally agree, ebike will always cost more do to batteries. Every 3 - 5 year battery replacement = $600 to $1500 cost. Cost wise, IC win hands down.