Gasoline resistant paint?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle Welding, Fabrication and Paintin' started by Black_Moons, Jan 16, 2011.

1. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

i'll let you know in a few days, SB.;)

2. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Silver,
    Yes, I've used on bare metal. I've used it on polished brass, aluminum and steel. Like everything else, surface prep is important.
    Tom

3. silverbear

silverbear The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Bairdco & Tom,
    That's good news about it working with bare metal. Tom, what kind of surface prep do you suggest?
    SB

4. Erich_870

Erich_870 New Member

Most two part epoxy paints are very fuel resistant. That is what they coat the inside and outside of fuel tanks with. Give your local paint store a call and ask if they carry two part epoxy paint and then ask to speak to whomever knows the most about them there.

Erich

#24 Erich_870, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  5. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Silver,
    Just follow the directions on the label. But keep in mind that any coating, paint, powder coat, chrome etc. will only be as smooth as the sub (base) surface. You can't hide sins with paint.
    The smoother, defect free, that you can make the surface the better the finish will come out. With bare metal even very small scratches will show and can even be amplified by a clear coat. Also a dust free atmosphere is essential, and in the warmer weather, bug free.
    Tom

6. kerf

kerf New Member

There is a product called DuraCoat for finishing firearms. It's widely used, reported to be tough as nails and chemical resistant. Some gun solvents contain some really strong stuff. You might want to contact them about gas resistance.

DuraCoat Firearm Finishes

Stuff ain't cheap but I guess "you gets what you pays for".

7. Rockenstein

Rockenstein New Member

Probably need a licence to buy that in Canada :rolleyes: ...lol

8. kerf

kerf New Member

Ain't regulations just peachy.

9. carpespasm

carpespasm New Member

It might not be the kind of finish you're going for, but I've used "hammered metal" finish paints on gas tanks before to great success. The finish also camouflages minor pits and rough spots and is very glossy without needing any clear. Very nice for rat-rod type stuff and quite durable.

10. bigbutterbean

bigbutterbean New Member

I just painted my bike. If you want to see it, check out the thread The Violator is born! Under the board tracker section. Anyway, the first time I started it, something wasn't right with my carb setup and it was pissing fuel all over the place. I fixed it, but the point is, it didn't hurt the paint one bit. And I didn't even clear it because I didn't have enough money to buy any clearcoat. I used duplicolor engine enamel that I bought at advance auto parts.

11. yodar

yodar New Member

I HAVE used Duracoat. It is an epoxy catalyzed enamel which I applied with a air bush. Does NOT come in a can. It aint cheap, more than a dollar an ounce and there is HAZMAT shipping involved.

good stuff but I'll buy Rustoleum from ACE hardware

yodar