GasBike Throttle cable has no end stop,can solder be used for cable stop?

GoldenMotor.com

OldschoolDavid1980s

Jul 29, 2021
I have a twistgrip throttle cable that was factory made not having a cable stop "Barrel" on the back end to give the cable a tail,usually a throttle cable that does not have a barrel stop or a "Tail" ,is intended for a small engine having a throttle linkage bracket type to where the bracket holding the cable linkage has some sort of a set screw cable stop,like those on a older Mini-Bike or the 2 stroke weed eater engines...THE THROTTLE QUESTION IS THIS? can a throttle cable that doesnt have no barrel or a really small "Tail tip" on the end as a cable stop, be soldered with a small ball of Rosin Core solder solid enough to where that solder ball will stick to the end of that cable and *not slide or fall back off* that throttle cable once the pulling pressure is used inside the carburetor's sliding needle valve area? I'm certain that soldering a small ball tail on the end of a throttle cable that didnt have a cable stop would be enough to permanently stick to the end of the throttle cable, and be cheap way to fabricate your own cable stops with a soldering pen and medium sized roll of Rosin Core solder.cptr.

Reactions: Tyler6357

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Here it is.

OldschoolDavid1980s

Jul 29, 2021
where are those throttle cable videos shown on? YouTube ? I am certain a small throttle cable that does not have a cable stop barrel tail end can be soldered with a small ball of solder small enough to clear the gasbike's carburetor screw on cap cable entry hole,but be a large enough of a solder ball that sticks to that cable well enough,to be able to not slip past the slide valve retainer notch that holds and stops the throttle in the carburetor.

Attachments

OldschoolDavid1980s

Jul 29, 2021
Depending if the cable just needs the solder tail end on it without removing the large barrel end(head end?) at the front being wastefully cut off,I found a HOW TO SOLDER A TAIL END version video(^) using a very clever hack with a wood block drilled in 2 places to fill with solder to dip the cable end into as a cable stop mold,
making a cable stop solder tail this way saves the large barrel head used for the the throttle or a brake handle,and you just shorten the cable and the cable sleeve as needed from the tail end,then use an extra cable sleeve having the end caps to put a cap on the end of the shortened cable.Normally the large barrel head at the front of the cable shouldnt need to be cut and replaced unless the cable front end is so severely kinked/bent.to where the cable cannot be fed freely into the cable sleeve,I've always had spare Mountain Bike rear derailer cables put somewhere because the bicycle's plastic twist grip gear changer is sooo cheaply produced to break on purpose!:mad:,I simple convert the bike to single speed and keep the derailer cables for spares when the throttle cables get kinked at the front end.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I wasn't recommending that video, just using it as a reference. I had though about using my jig head molds to make one if I ever need to. Some where I saw a guy braid some small wire into the cable to keep the end from sliding off the cable.