Fuel Smell

GoldenMotor.com

brown bull

Nov 16, 2008
pittsburgh
Hello again,

I'm currently storing my bike indoors and the room in which it's stored is smelling like gasoline. I already replaced my fuel line and I plan to replace my slightly leaky petcock.

Is there anything else I can do to reduce or eliminate the escape of fuel or fuel vapors, or is this just the nature of the beast? Should I keep sealing-up the fuel system, get used to the smell, or build a shed outside?

Thanks!

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I'd personally find a way to store it outside. Don't even have to build a shed if you don't want to...just lock it up and bungee a tarp around it.

As for the fuel smell inside, I don't think there's a whole lot you can do. Be careful if you "seal" the fuel system up. The gas cap can't be completely vapor-tight or the motor won't run (has to let air in as the gas goes out)

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
build an outside storage shed your insurance might not cover keeping something like that in the house. I keep mine in the garage but I don't notice a gas smell from them (4 not counting the Harley) you may have a fuel leak more than normal do you shut off the fuel after riding?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.... (gasoline and liquid soap)

I don't mind the smell but it is another thing that drives my wife crazy... If you store the bike indoors, you are going to have it. In an apartment I would put it on the patio with the tarp and bungie cord at the very least. If you live in a house I would toss up a leantoo storage area at least. They are simple to build and reasonably inexpensive I think.

You can build one with a few 2x4s a couple of sheets of cheap plywood and a couple of bundles of roofing shingles.

to be the most efficient use of materials the roof should be 4x8 and the side panel the same.

Last edited:

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Well I keep my motorized bicycle in my living room. I don't have any fuel smells, but I do get a lot of grease stains. I always put the petcock in 'Off' position when I bring it in, and I use a 'K&N' style air filter. My carburetor and fuel line and tank has no leaks. Oh yeah, I also keep my Goped there. I think they're happier that way. What would you feel if someone left you outside in the cold? :)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
What would you feel if someone left you outside in the cold? :)
laff
Right! Snork. I some times go out to the garage just to say hi and make sure she is warm and happy. (MBs need love too)

Side note, that is another argument for the "Why not just get a motorcycle" crowd. Portability coupled with mobility is awesome.

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
If you must leave it in the house,try this,lay out a tarp on the floor and Wrap it up around your bike,put a bag or charcoal in a pail and close it like a present at the top the coal will abssorb the smell.I keep harley show bikes this way in the trailer. HARLEYS DAD

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I have tried both indoors and outdoors.

Indoors
I run the stinky carb completely dry.
Turn the petcock off about a block away from home.
Park it until it cools off.
Place a plastic bag over the end of the cooled down exhaust pipe.
Make sure the fuel tank is not leaking.

No stink 4 me.

Outside chain it up well.