Fuel shut off valve

GoldenMotor.com

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
You remember the saying, slow boat from China? I ordered a valve on the 22nd of this month and I checked today to see where it is. It is actually en route from China. I cannot believe it . So question is, will one work from a lawn mower shop, auto parts house or are the built differently. I took the old one apart and it is built like I would not have guessed. Has a little horseshoe area where the fuel runs. I would have thought it would have been just a straight pass with a ball or something. No problem I was just wondering if that was a must for these china girls. . . Right now do not know why the fuel was running slowly out of the tank to the point the eng would starve. Got a new tank, line and no valve so waiting. Thanks, guys give a clue for a different valve. gphil

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
All the petcock has to do is allow fuel to flow and allow fuel to be shut off. Any petcock you can fit (safely) on will work. I wonder if your new tank is not breathing properly creating a vacuum so the fuel doesn't flow well. Did you have the issue before the new tank?

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
This was the old tank. Bike had been stolen and left in a watery ditch so I sort of thought rust and stuff would happen. Ran for a while then started the problem. I tried opening the cap etc and no good. So new carb, tank, and petcock. I have heard there was a filter in the port coming from the tank but I don't see one. I was thinking like you about the valve but when taking it apart found the little chamber and thinking it needed that. Looking for another. Appreciate the response. Thanks gphil

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
I see the problem already. That little filter, not on mine anymore. I cannot remember putting it on but if I did it came off and is hindering the flow of fuel from the tank. I will go down tomorrow and see if I can shake it out. The petcock itself is very hard to blow through. I do have an inline filter outside the tank and I would think that would be all necessary. What are your thoughts? You are proving to be a great help and thanks. Well, now I have a spare tank although smaller. Got a little larger one this time. Gathering all the parts up for a four stroke build. I saw a Schwinn for sale locally, older bike, for 100.00 so may see if it is still available. gphil

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Failed to mention this, what are your thoughts on a three speed Nexis (sp) Thinking about a J-shafted 4 stroke to a hub three speed. gphil

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
You are right, the inline filter is all you need. Glad to be of help. I know the little "horseshoe" channel you're talking about and it is tiny but seems to work. You can test it with water to see how much flows out. I think any kind of stream is okay but if it just drips then you may have a problem. A good blast of air might clear it of any debris.
I think the jackshaft set up you're thinking about has been done so I bet you can find a thread or two on the subject. I have no experience with them.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
You are very welcome. I'm no expert by any means but I do try to help out if I think I can. There's a lot of really knowledgeable guys here that give generously of their experience from whom I have learned a ton.

And you have a great July 1st - Canada Day this year it's our 150th