fQuestion about trimming the rear bearing cap to fit between hub mounting 32t sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
What's an easy way to do this? My rear wheel is slinging grease out and originally couldn't figure the best way to trim that bearing cap. I know I can use my Dremel just affraid I'll take off too much. Will trimming it to fit stop the grease from coming out when I ride?

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
Hub mount? as in a hub clamping sprocket mount? Would need to see the setup, do you have a photo of the issue?

If this is on a coaster brake only bike, you should note that the heat built up in the coaster brake from slowing down an engine powered bicycle will liquify your grease and no amount of messing around with your wheel's dust caps is going to keep that grease in place. You need to have a front rim brake at minimum to help your coaster brake stop the bike.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
What's an easy way to do this? My rear wheel is slinging grease out and originally couldn't figure the best way to trim that bearing cap. I know I can use my Dremel just affraid I'll take off too much. Will trimming it to fit stop the grease from coming out when I ride?

You can trim it with sheet metal cutters or a grinder... trim off just enough so it fits through the center hole in the sprocket

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
I have both front and rear caliper brakes. I don't really use the coaster brake. Last time I did on my other wheel it grenaded one of the bearings and locked up the rear wheel. Just wasn't sure if the dust cap would prevent the grease from coming out over the course of several rides. Would I lose less grease if I used a high temperature one?