FL

GoldenMotor.com

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Yes - but that's not a DUI. Really, most cops don't do anything unless you're a danger to people or causing a scene. Just tell them you parked the car at the bar and you're walking home. That, or get drunk and walk your bike home. Cops are people too, they respect responsible acts from drinkers like that.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Jeff arnett gave me a link to the NWFL Daily news and a few other things, about that case. They used the same registration phamplet as that i read to the cop. So, since she won, i'll probably be let off and be able to ride since Paula won and I'm charged with the same exact thing she was. They must be really stubborn to not change the law since Paula proved these aren't self propelled.

Last edited:

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Jeff arnett gave me a link to the NWFL Daily news and a few other things, about that case. They used the same registration phamplet as that i read to the cop. So, since she won, i'll probably be let off and be able to ride since Paula won and I'm charged with the same exact thing she was. They must be really stubborn to not change the law since Paula proved these aren't self propelled.
She must be a really big girl ! :)

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Yes - but that's not a DUI. Really, most cops don't do anything unless you're a danger to people or causing a scene. Just tell them you parked the car at the bar and you're walking home. That, or get drunk and walk your bike home. Cops are people too, they respect responsible acts from drinkers like that.
Some people get drunk and want to see how fast stuff will go so you have to take the keys away from them then toss them real hard into the woods if you can. :)

Most of the time they find them the next day !

Put keys on their motorized bikes ? :)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Some people get drunk and want to see how fast stuff will go so you have to take the keys away from them then toss them real hard into the woods if you can. :)

Most of the time they find them the next day !

Put keys on their motorized bikes ? :)
You're talking about an entirely different issue. You seem to believe that motor bicycles need to be licensed to help control drunks. That's a legitimate concern, but I doubt you'll get much support on this forum for your position.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
You're talking about an entirely different issue. You seem to believe that motor bicycles need to be licensed to help control drunks. That's a legitimate concern, but I doubt you'll get much support on this forum for your position.
I am saying if they make mopeds legal to drive with no dl then Craigslist sellers will call China girl bikes dui bikes and try to sell them to people with drinking problems.

Many drunks also have weight problems and this is real hard on the rear wheels with all the pot holes that are not being repaired.

They sell moped tags in Florida for mopeds.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I only have a few arguments about motorized bike laws US wide, and I know this is the basis of a popular one.

A moped STILL IS a registerable/insurable vehicle, despite that it is UNNECESSARY to get registered - as it has a VIN.

A motorized bicycle IS STILL a bicycle, despite having a motor.

There are 3 kinds of motor bikes listed in near every state.

Motorcycle (duh, we all know what a motorcycle is and it has a VIN)
Moped (it's a motorcycle with pedals, displacement over 50cc classifies it as a motorcycle and it has a VIN)
Motorbike (this is a dirtbike registered for offroad use only, though despite that, it has [guess what] A VIN.

They are two distinct things, and the nail has been hit on the head already - if there isn't a law REGULATING it or CONDONING it, then it is as we say, "LEGAL".

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
I only have a few arguments about motorized bike laws US wide, and I know this is the basis of a popular one.

A moped STILL IS a registerable/insurable vehicle, despite that it is UNNECESSARY to get registered - as it has a VIN.

A motorized bicycle IS STILL a bicycle, despite having a motor.

There are 3 kinds of motor bikes listed in near every state.

Motorcycle (duh, we all know what a motorcycle is and it has a VIN)
Moped (it's a motorcycle with pedals, displacement over 50cc classifies it as a motorcycle and it has a VIN)
Motorbike (this is a dirtbike registered for offroad use only, though despite that, it has [guess what] A VIN.

They are two distinct things, and the nail has been hit on the head already - if there isn't a law REGULATING it or CONDONING it, then it is as we say, "LEGAL".
What's those stickers that say for off road use on them for ?

Is there a law that says they have to say that ?

All my electric bikes have a VIN. They are bicycles.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
No information usually means "pro sequi" meaning they didn't go ahead with a trial.. The question remains is WHY?!?
There is usually a good reason, and THAT'S the nitty gritty, the "why"..
Until we find out the "why" it's still a "grey issue." (at least with me)

On a side note:
And you CAN modify a 250cc engine with a pull start and would still not be considered a "self propelled" vehicle.. (a lot of gas engines for bikes have that already - yes?)

Last edited:

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
What's those stickers that say for off road use on them for ?

Is there a law that says they have to say that ?

All my electric bikes have a VIN. They are bicycles.
To operate your ATV's offroad, you still have to register it to be legal, that's what the sticker is for.

There is a law, and you won't find it in with the Transportation/Vehicle section of any state's code. You'll have to look under the ATV section, but it is there.

If all of your electric bikes have a VIN, then you either started with motorcycle frames, or you talked to the DMV investigator and he is absolutely certain that your bikes are up to federal standards in that of braking power, lighting, horn, etcetera.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
No information usually means "pro sequi" meaning they didn't go ahead with a trial.. The question remains is WHY?!?
There is usually a good reason, and THAT'S the nitty gritty, the "why"..
Until we find out the "why" it's still a "grey issue." (at least with me)

On a side note:
And you CAN modify a 250cc engine with a pull start and would still not be considered a "self propelled" vehicle.. (a lot of gas engines for bikes have that already - yes?)
Screw that 50cc stuff ! A good 4 stroke Briggs and Stratton for me !

5.5 Gross Torque Briggs and Stratton OHV

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
To operate your ATV's offroad, you still have to register it to be legal, that's what the sticker is for.

There is a law, and you won't find it in with the Transportation/Vehicle section of any state's code. You'll have to look under the ATV section, but it is there.

If all of your electric bikes have a VIN, then you either started with motorcycle frames, or you talked to the DMV investigator and he is absolutely certain that your bikes are up to federal standards in that of braking power, lighting, horn, etcetera.
They are legal electric bikes sold by Lee Iacocca in Florida.

When we get someone like him to promote gas powered bicycles then they will be legal too ?

WHY CONSIDER AN ELECTRIC BIKE?

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
They are legal electric bikes sold by Lee Iacocca in Florida.

When we get someone like him to promote gas powered bicycles then they will be legal too ?

WHY CONSIDER AN ELECTRIC BIKE?
Dude, if you have an electric bike with a VIN "built in" then THAT'S AWESOME!
the reason I say that is because you can THEN, insure it, lojack it, and a myriad of other things..
Where can I get one of THOSE?!?!?

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Come to my house and bring $250 brother. :)
Can you show me a pic of the bike and a small shot of the VIN?
And it would take me about a day to get to you on my electric bike (80 mile range-20 mph) so you are about 200 miles away...
80 miles (4 hours ride time) then 3 hour recharge time is 7 hours per 80 miles. Divide that by 200 or so and it would take me 2.5 times 7 or 17.5 hours total travel time just to get to you..

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Can you show me a pic of the bike and a small shot of the VIN?
And it would take me about a day to get to you on my electric bike (80 mile range-20 mph) so you are about 200 miles away...
80 miles (4 hours ride time) then 3 hour recharge time is 7 hours per 80 miles. Divide that by 200 or so and it would take me 2.5 times 7 or 17.5 hours total travel time just to get to you..
And that's why I ride a gas bike. rotfl.boogy1a